The next Police car

BuddyP

it'll cost too much. Police departments have budgets just like everyone else, and if they can save $5k by buying an Impala instead of this thing, many of them will. I would guess the difference in price would be more than that, simply because of economies of scale.

it'll cost too much. Police departments have budgets just like everyone else, and if they can save $5k by buying an Impala instead of this thing, many of them will. I would guess the difference in price would be more than that, simply because of economies of scale.

The aim is to make up the difference by reducing the cost of the added cop features, most of which will be built-in as standard, or can be more easily and cheaply added than in an Impala or Crown Vic. The rest comes in additional features that you can't get in a modified car at an affordable price, such as a well-draining, hose-out rear seat area.

It appears to have a BMW 6-cylinder turbodiesel. The comparable taxi being produced by another company uses a GM powertrain.

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell ya that most major police departments, state or county, are going away from FWD cars. SCHP experimented with Impalas and Intrepids several years ago and has now replaced them. As of now Ford has discontinued the Crown Vic and hasn't named a replacement. That leaves only Dodge in the running right now. A fully equipped Vic costs lil over $30K while a Hemi Charger is $29K. If this company can compete with those prices, i'm positive the only problem they'll have is keeping up with demand. My department's Impala's are 6 years old with less than 100K miles and they're already talking about replacing them.

Course our state has bought one of these.

South_Carolina_Highway_Patrol_Viper_Inte

Edited by DSFD506