Might be head-scratcher.

Then again, with this crew, it might not be much of a head-scratcher. :)

I'm looking at a sales brochure for the Lincoln Continental Mark IV and it says the standard (and only available) engine is a 430 CID, OHV V8 with a 4V carb. C'mon now, everybody knows the Mark IV came with the 460 CID variant of the Ford's admittedly excellent "385-series" V8...yet the brochure I'm looking at does NOT have a misprint when it comes to the engine displacement.

How can this be?

Edited by NeonLX

Then again, with this crew, it might not be much of a head-scratcher. :)

I'm looking at a sales brochure for the Lincoln Continental Mark IV and it says the standard (and only available) engine is a 430 CID, OHV V8 with a 4V carb. C'mon now, everybody knows the Mark IV came with the 460 CID variant of the Ford's admittedly excellent "385-series" V8...yet the brochure I'm looking at does NOT have a misprint when it comes to the engine displacement.

How can this be?

Well, the first Mk IV was available with a 430, circa 1959..

Edited by moltar

Well, the first Mk IV was available with a 430, circa 1959..

Wow, that was fast! :)

Yup, I'm looking at the brochure for the 1959 Continental Mark IV. It was powered by the 350 HP, 430 CID "MEL" (Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln) V8. This engine family included 383, 410 and 462 CID versions: 410 CID for the 1958 "senior" Edsels only; 383 CID for 1958-'60 mid-level Mercurys, and 462 CID for 1966-'67 Lincolns (though some early 1968 Lincolns may have had this engine before production of the new "385-series" 460 V8 was up to speed).

Wow, that was fast! :)

Yup, I'm looking at the brochure for the 1959 Continental Mark IV. It was powered by the 350 HP, 430 CID "MEL" (Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln) V8. This engine family included 383, 410 and 462 CID versions: 410 CID for the 1958 "senior" Edsels only; 383 CID for 1958-'60 mid-level Mercurys, and 462 CID for 1966-'67 Lincolns (though some early 1968 Lincolns may have had this engine before production of the new "385-series" 460 V8 was up to speed).

Yes, and the Thunderbird in '59-60 also had the 430 as an option...back in the '70s, my older brother had a white w/ red interior '59 ht for a few years, I remember him talking about it having a Lincoln V8. What a beast that was...

Took me years to wrap my mind around all of the permutations and combinations of Phord V8s...the 352 vs. the various 351s (same bore & stroke!), the 361 vs. the 360, the 1958 410 vs. the 1966 410, etc. etc.