Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

transmission problem with 99 chevy malibu

tootal2

If I start my car and let it warm up for 2 min in the cold weather it slips very bad. I have to rev it up to 4000 rpm just to get the car to move

But if i start my car and take off right away. I dont get the transmission slipping problem.

I did have the transmission fluid change but not the filter.

its a 99 malibu with a 2.4

thanks

Why not the filter? Changing the fluid is useless if you don't change the filter, because you can still get gunk that's on the filter into the new fluid.

I took it to valvoline instant oil change. They suck out the transmission fluid from the transmission cooler lines and put new fluid in. Should i get the filer replaced?

there is no dipstick on this car for the transmission.

I took it to valvoline instant oil change. They suck out the transmission fluid from the transmission cooler lines and put new fluid in. Should i get the filer replaced?

there is no dipstick on this car for the transmission.

There's no dipstick for the tranny? That is just weird. But yes, while I don't know if that would help your particular problem, the filter and fluid should be changed, because the dirty filter will just contaminate the fluid.

We flush trannys too and don't change the filter, sometimes if your car is high mileage you can do more harm than good to change the fluid, that may be what happened in your case. Worn clutches needed the contaminated fluid because of the friction, or the fluid is low because they didn't put enough in. Maybe it does good cold because the fluid is so thick and when it thins out it starts slipping. It doesn't have a dipstick, there should be a plug on the case you stick your finger in to check fluid level. Its a stupid design. I wouldn't drop the pan and change the filter at this point, maybe put some kind of thick $h! in it like some lucas after you check the fluid level. But, you could be on your way to a rebuild. If you don't regularly change your fluid and filter and you get upwards of 100k or more, I wouldn't touch it.

We flush trannys too and don't change the filter, sometimes if your car is high mileage you can do more harm than good to change the fluid, that may be what happened in your case. Worn clutches needed the contaminated fluid because of the friction, or the fluid is low because they didn't put enough in. Maybe it does good cold because the fluid is so thick and when it thins out it starts slipping. It doesn't have a dipstick, there should be a plug on the case you stick your finger in to check fluid level. Its a stupid design. I wouldn't drop the pan and change the filter at this point, maybe put some kind of thick $h! in it like some lucas after you check the fluid level. But, you could be on your way to a rebuild. If you don't regularly change your fluid and filter and you get upwards of 100k or more, I wouldn't touch it.

My car has 80,000 miles on it and i bought it new. I also drive it about 5 miles per day I guess thats not good for it.

It's probably a good idea to at least re-check the fluid level since they may may have just guessed at the quick lube.

If you want do it yourself:

-Have it sitting level (i.e. on lift/over pit/on 4 jack stands)

-Start and warm to fluid to at least 104F/40C (I usually just warm it up until pan is real warm but not burning hot).

-Shift through each detent on shifter.

-Leave eng. running in park while checking fluid like usual.

-Remove check plug on trans. near pass. side inboard CV joint. fluid should be at level of threads, if not add through red cap up on top of tranny until it runs out check plug hole then stops. Replace check plug (9 lb-ft to be exact).

Edited by fightingbee