Not happy with my...

Mobil 1 right now. Granted, it is protecting, but it doesn't stay clean very long. I figure if I pay good money for a better oil-it should at least hold up better.

I haven't even noticed a change in my Cobalt....

Makes me wonder if I make should change to a blend oil instead...

Sorry, I had to vent....

I've thought about switching to RP myself, though it's a bit pricey too...

I"ve has M1 in her cav now for about 33k now, and it still runs like new. But these last few oil changes hav been brutal, as it seems like i can't get past 3k without it looking like it needs an oil change. Granted, the Cav mostly does city drivng, but it almost seems like the oil has changed or something....

Most of my friends say it's time for Amsoil, though 8 bucks a quart is not cheap, and I would never let the oil past 5k (I'm a 3-3.5k man myself with the M1)

I've debated about just using a blend for the Cobalt (have not seen improvement in the engine besides the first week it was in, unlike the Cav) The Balt used Quaker State the first 40k of it's life (44k now)

I'm wondering if I should switch syns and see if that helps (like synpower or PP)

Just not sure yet.....

I use Mobil 1 in the Silverado and Castrol in the Camaro. My main thing is not how long it stays clean just making sure it keeps the motor clean. Everything Ive seen about the Castrol is good. It keeps the motor clean and free of Engine Sludge. Mobil one not to sure about as I just started using it a few months ago, but looking at it it looks like a good oil. Seems like the oils that are really clear like Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, clean the motor real good. Everything Ive seen about Pennzoil sucks. Last two motors ive seen torn apart using it had sludge in them.

I've thought about switching to RP myself, though it's a bit pricey too...

I"ve has M1 in her cav now for about 33k now, and it still runs like new. But these last few oil changes hav been brutal, as it seems like i can't get past 3k without it looking like it needs an oil change. Granted, the Cav mostly does city drivng, but it almost seems like the oil has changed or something....

Most of my friends say it's time for Amsoil, though 8 bucks a quart is not cheap, and I would never let the oil past 5k (I'm a 3-3.5k man myself with the M1)

I've debated about just using a blend for the Cobalt (have not seen improvement in the engine besides the first week it was in, unlike the Cav) The Balt used Quaker State the first 40k of it's life (44k now)

I'm wondering if I should switch syns and see if that helps (like synpower or PP)

Just not sure yet.....

If it doesn't hurt the car I don't see the problem. Your car is just dirty. :P

RP is great stuff but I would never spend so much on a Cavalier...even my cars get good old dino juice. :P

If its dirty that means its working. Its cleaning the engine. Color doesnt matter as much as viscosity does. if it still feels smooth and slick and not gritty your good. i run RP in my cars but my last oil change cost me $60ish! so thats not going to fly anymore.

If its dirty that means its working. Its cleaning the engine. Color doesnt matter as much as viscosity does. if it still feels smooth and slick and not gritty your good. i run RP in my cars but my last oil change cost me $60ish! so thats not going to fly anymore.

Yes, I know it working...because it is still smooth when it comes out...and the Ecotec is still running smooth at almost 50k...

I'm just not happy about the fact that is does not stay clean as long like it used to...it used to stay cleaner much longer...

I use Mobil 1 in the Silverado and Castrol in the Camaro. My main thing is not how long it stays clean just making sure it keeps the motor clean. Everything Ive seen about the Castrol is good. It keeps the motor clean and free of Engine Sludge. Mobil one not to sure about as I just started using it a few months ago, but looking at it it looks like a good oil. Seems like the oils that are really clear like Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, clean the motor real good. Everything Ive seen about Pennzoil sucks. Last two motors ive seen torn apart using it had sludge in them.

Syntec or GTX?

Syntec or GTX?

GTX for now until the motor gets broke in because I just rebuilt it then I'll go to Syntec. Ive seen alot of good about the GTX but haven't used Syntec very much. I used it in my 88 Chevy before I gave it to my brother and it seemed good. You knew it was doing the job because it always came out really black.

The only way to truly know the condition of your oil is to have a sample tested. I use Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) for this. In my old Fleetwood I used Valvoline MaxLife and after having several samples done I was able to get 7,000 miles on an oil change.

Of course if you're under a warranty of some sort, you need to stick with their recommendations to avoid invalidating the warranty. But after that, may as well save a few bucks on extra oil changes. ;)

Just my .02 of course. :)

The only way to truly know the condition of your oil is to have a sample tested. I use Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) for this. In my old Fleetwood I used Valvoline MaxLife and after having several samples done I was able to get 7,000 miles on an oil change.

Of course if you're under a warranty of some sort, you need to stick with their recommendations to avoid invalidating the warranty. But after that, may as well save a few bucks on extra oil changes. ;)

Just my .02 of course. :)

I like that idea.

LOL

Dude...

216,000 miles

196,000 miles

189,000 miles

187,000 miles

You're preaching to the choir. :P

Yep. 8)

I'm going to get the cav tested....and I'm going to stick with Mobil 1..

As for the Balt, I'm not sure if I want to stick with M1, or try Valvoline Synpower or Penzoil Platnum.(which I've heard good things about)

Thanks to this cazy Michigan weather (and winter), full syn oil simply seems like the best idea....