Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
giantshark18

Shock in the Rims??

10 posts in this topic

I was thinking, what if someone made a rim that had springs inside? So when you hit a bump, the actual wheel could compress a bit to absorb the bump.

Posted Image Edited by giantshark18

Strange. Conceivable, though. Could they make the tire stay intact with the rim though? Sweet idea.

Better yet, airless tires...
Posted Image

I saw a show on the Discovery or Learning channel on those... they attached them to some armored vehicle and ran over a land mine and it still was useable.

I was thinking, what if someone made a rim that had springs inside? So when you hit a bump, the actual wheel could compress a bit to absorb the bump.
Posted Image

[post="43670"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That would be a handling nightmare. We have steadly moved to less and less sidewall on tires to eliminate give at the tires. Why would we now want floppy wheels ?

Theres a function on all automobiles called a suspension, it is designed to absorb impacts while maintaining excellent control.

It would be far cheaper to go to low pressure balloon tires if we want people floating around on the highways

better yet, we should all just move to these

http://www.mattracks.com/

That's awsome...

I'd love to have a truck that can easily convert between standard wheels and those.. like say the treads fold down from under the car and the the wheels prop up.. or something to that effect.

I believe that was a system (similar) at one time called a half track, possibly invented in England or maybe here or Canada used on the rear axle of farm tractors. The company County Cars of England did alot of full track adapted Fordson tractor stuff, another English company as well that was eventually bought by Catapillor, I just cant come up with their name. Used alot durring WWII on the airfields of England. I have forgotten alot of what I read on all that old stuff. I have a Fordson book down in the shop but havent even looked at it in 10 years.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room