Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sciguy_0504

GM considering expansion of Fort Wayne plant

5 posts in this topic

FORT WAYNE, Ind. General Motors is considering a 280-thousand-square-foot plant expansion in Fort Wayne, Indiana, that could add jobs.

Plant Controller Mike Donovan told local authorities that the space would be needed to store and assemble parts for G-M's new truck platform, the G-M-T 900. Production could begin next year.

Donovan would not disclose the jobs to be created or the amount the company will spend on the project.

A local union president says the investment will be substantial and could add 180 jobs.

The plant currently employees 29-hundred and covers two-and-a-half million (m) square feet. It makes versions of the Chevrolet Silverado and G-M-C Sierra pickups.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4140660&nav=0Rce

i own a business in fort wayne. usually visit the market once or twice a year. for the last 3 years there has been some serious growth down there but no one could ever give me a concrete reason as to why. businesses moving in, housing being built, big retailers and so on. so, i am not surprised that this is happening. it just makes me sorry for michigan (where the bulk of our business is). michigan is so mis-managed. it just cannot cut a break.

i own a business in fort wayne. usually visit the market once or twice a year. for the last 3 years there has been some serious growth down there but no one could ever give me a concrete reason as to why. businesses moving in, housing being built, big retailers and so on. so, i am not surprised that this is happening. it just makes me sorry for michigan (where the bulk of our business is). michigan is so mis-managed. it just cannot cut a break.

[post="45301"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ive spent the last two summers working at that plant. Last summer they did some pretty expensive upgrades for the GMT-900 program. Im not sure exactly what upgrades GM would be considering right now, the plant should be ready to build the 900 trucks.

One rumour i heard awhile ago though, was that GM was considering building the crew cab version of its full size trucks there. Currently, that plant only builds the regular and extended cab trucks. I know for a fact they had a crew cab delivered from michigan to see if it was feasible.

Also, Fort wayne is the only plant that builds hybrids. So maybe GM is planning on increasing its hybrid capactiy? Edited by vineyard311

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0