Daewoo wins job to develop GM small cars

SEOUL -- General Motors has selected its Daewoo subsidiary in Korea to develop the platform for the Chevrolet Aveo and other small cars for GM worldwide.

That designation is what GM used to call a design homeroom, although it no longer uses that terminology, Nick Reilly, president of GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co., said at a press event here.

"We will develop the common (platform), and then other parts of the world will take that architecture and they will produce their version of that car," Reilly said.

It's "very, very significant for us to be named as a development center for the world for those cars," and reflects the high level of GM Daewoo's expertise, he said.

Development work in Korea is cheaper than in Europe and the United States. The Opel Corsa, GM Europe's second-best-selling model, and Chevrolet's top two sellers in Europe, the Aveo and Matiz, are based on the platform, called Gamma. The Aveo is called the Kalos in some European markets.

GM Daewoo will develop the successor to the fourth-generation Corsa that debuts at the Geneva auto show in March. The new Corsa was styled by GM Europe's design studio in Ruesselsheim, Germany.

In a related development, David Lyon, GM's executive director of design for the Asia-Pacific region, said GM Daewoo is expanding its design team and its number of projects.

But the process needs more than local hires. "We bring in a lot of people from other studios," elsewhere in GM, he said.

The design team has about 100 people. Lyon plans to add about 20 more.

"It's a pretty big spike of work," he said.

GM Daewoo has been doing about four designs a year, but probably will do about six next year and possibly even more than that in the future.

"They're not necessarily all for GM Daewoo. We do programs for Opel, for GM North America. This is a globally connected studio," he said.

"What we want to do at Chevrolet," Lyon said, "is have a much more dramatic, bold, dynamic look - very powerful-looking cars, whether it's a car or a truck, commuter car or whatever."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103676

I'm assuming it will be a new architecture, especially if it spans from the Matiz minicar (restricted in size by Korean regulations similar to Japan's keijidosha) up to small compacts such as the Corsa and Aveo. Suzuki (also a major shareholder in GM Daewoo) may be involved as well, so it could be related to the Swift and SX4.

I fully support GM's subcompact (okay, lower compact now) cars being on a single architecture-makes sense-why not a world car like the 1976 Chevy Chevette?

Awsome! The Crappy legacy of the 80s Chevy Nova (toyota) Pontiac LeMans (Opel/Daewoo) and other underwhelming FWD sub-compacts will now live on as another generation of Daewoo cars rebadged for the US market. Well, on the bright side maye this will allow GM NA to concentrate on building REAL americna cars. Hey Satty: here's your ride right here... I bet a 2200lbs. FWD independant suspension Daewoo will handle like it's on rails! :lol: Edited by Sixty8panther

So you suggest that GM ignore the sub-compact market altogether and build large RWD sedans that don't bring in high volume sales? Have you seen the 300, Charger, or Magnum on the top ten selling cars list? No. Because to most people, large RWD sedans are more impractical than sub-compact cars. Also, where do you get the idea that the next generation vehicles are going to be rebadges? They will be designed by GM and Daewoo. Not Daewoos being rebadged like now. These cars will actually look like chevys or suzukis. Like it or not, the Koreans know how to build good sub-compact cars. Although they may be cheaply put together in some cases, the rest of the time, they're pretty decent cars for people who cannot afford cars like the civic, cobalt, corolla, etc. and would rather not have to spend 50+ on gasolene every time they need to fill up the car. My aunt's husband lives near NYC and drives a kia rio, even though he could afford a much more expensive car(he and my aunt just bought a brand new Trailblazer EXT. He drives the kia because all he needs it for is driving to the train station every morning so he can go to work. He then takes the train from where they live all the way down to manhatten. If he decided to drive the car everyday, it would cost a ton of money for gas and for parking but he doesn't. Therefore, he doesn't need a big vehicle. The kia serves it's purpose well. Edited by Cadillacfan85

Hey Satty: here's your ride right here... I bet a 2200lbs. FWD independant suspension Daewoo will handle like it's on rails! :lol:

[post="50716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Stop trying to start arguments. Now.

The Crappy legacy of the 80s Chevy Nova (toyota) Pontiac LeMans (Opel/Daewoo) and other underwhelming FWD sub-compacts will now live on as another generation of Daewoo cars rebadged for the US market.

There is nothing wrong with a well-done subcompact car. As others have said, you want GM to ignore this market? Thought you preached constantly about variety...

The Aveo is definitely a step in the right direction-its the best subcompact car that I can tell of right now-the Kia Rio, redesigned or 2001-05, is no match for the well-valued, roomy Aveo. It could use of course, a few adjustments, but its pretty good as is. I do agree the Corolla-based Nova and 1988-93 Pontiac LeMans were absolute disgraces in name and product, but if Aveo is light years away from them (and the Rio and Accent and others save possibly Scion xA and others coming out), then I'm not horribly worried, as long as they have high fuel economy, roomy-for-the-size interiors, decent equipment for low prices and decent interiors, then I'll be happy, were I in the market.