Cleaning the Air Filter

I think my air filter is about ready to be cleaned. I believe it is washable because its the aftermarket cone filter kind. So is there any special way to clean these or can I just use good ol' soap and water? Also, I've seen some filters that say they are "oilable" or something like that. I'm not use if mine is or not but what does that mean and does it hurt if I don't do it?

One fast reply on washable air filters --- WATCH OUT!
On the re-oiling business, some people get carried away, and put too much oil
on the filter. This then travels up the airstream onto the MAF, and coats the
sensors, sending false readings to the computer, screws it up, and f----s up the
running of the car.
For those of you who may be technically inclined, and want to get at the whole
poop on air filters, go to:
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

This is a 14 page long test report comparing the different filter types under
industry standard tests, and gets rid of the advertising B/S, and tells it like it is!

This is not for the guy with the stock paper filter, unless he is planning on changing to some other type. But the info is priceless!
I urge you to go and read it....... at least once! :blink:

I second rkmdog's suggestion; I've read most of the link he provided and the testing performed was exhaustive & extremely thorough. Bottom line: oiled filters are not the 'new sliced bread' and once an oiled filter & a paper filter are beyond brand new, the paper filter is much better (and I'm not referring to all the money you'll save). Don't blindly accept advertising spin; independant testers do not have their hand on your wallet!

Remember, stock air boxes are meant to do two things ----- hold the filter & act as a silencer, so you "don't hear the engine sound!" There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. There are aftermarket filter housings that use stock, paper-type filters, and don't silence the engine! You need to check those out.