"Different" sound from engine compartment which increases with rpms

I hadn't driven the Regal for almost 3 weeks because I was on vacation.

In a nutshell, over the last few days, the sound coming from the engine sounds kind of "wheezy" or "buzzy." It is a 1992 vintage 3800 V6 with 258,200 miles. It's NOT a clackety/clack noise at all.

What it is - it increases with the rpms of the engine

What it is not - it is not related to the gears, since it does it in park and neutral

A few thoughts: Could it be in the pulley system?

A water pump - though these seem to chirp more, having replaced one many moons ago? Also, no temperature change and no coolant drip.

A power steering pump?

A problem in the compressor? I've used the A/C a lot since it's hot here.

A problem in the tensioner in the pulley system?

An exhaust problem or something in a manifold? But it's not a groan.

I drove it about 40 miles tonight and the drivability is not at all impacted. I have no choice but to keep driving it and keep looking/listening under the hood.

Any thoughts?

Edited by trinacriabob

Pop the hood, grab a buddy, and have him rev the car while you listen. It may be helpful to take a piece of hose and hold one end to your ear while moving the other end to various possible noise sources.

If it's buzzing it could be an idler pulley whose bearing has worn out.

It could be the alternator starting to go.

It could be the compressor starting to go, the one on my 2.7 buzzed when you had it on and have it gas, but it was very loud.

Pop the hood and listen for the source of the sound, try to narrow it down. If you can, gets someone to rev the car a little for you.

Buzzy noises make me think alternator. Perhaps the battery is a little undercharged and the alternator is working harder to get it back up to snuff.

If you live in a area with lots of moisture, its amazing how fast corrosion can build up... causing all sorts of noises... If things are running OK, I'd give it some time to decide if its going to quiet itself or get worse.

If you are so inclined, it wouldn't hurt to remove the belt and see how each of the pulleys spin by hand. Also, does the noise change or dissappear between the A/C clutch being engaged or not?

No, actually it doesn't change with the cycling of the A/C. I'm buying a mechanic's stethoscope tonight. I'm starting to lean to (1) idler pulley, followed by (2) power steering pump, because those are ORIGINAL (sheez), but will have to confirm.

I've never had to deal with whining/buzzing sounds before, as this is not a supercharged vehicle. The rattling and clackety sounds from a failing water pump are more familiar. I will be checking out all that has been written above.

I've never had to deal with whining/buzzing sounds before, as this is not a supercharged vehicle. The rattling and clackety sounds from a failing water pump are more familiar. I will be checking out all that has been written above.

If its whining (not wheezing), then the PS pump could be suspect... however, I'd check the fluid level and bleed the system before declaring it a problem. You can bleed the PS by topping it off and turning the wheels lock to lock a few times.

Of course, low fluid would likely mean a leak and a stain that you would have noticed.