The Liberty Belle visits CT

Thank You for posting this BigPontiac...

Last night I was watching the Military Chanel

OnDemand, they had the GREAT PLANES

episode about the B-25, including many

interesting footnotes about the Doolittle Raid.

Aww, I think it may have made a Visit to Lawrence Municipal Airport and I missed it. :(

Yup... she was at the Lawrence Airport last Sunday, less than

a week after I was told by the Airport Staff that sure enough,

as the website listed, Aluminum Overcast was not going to be

visiting this year.

You'd think the genius would have said:

"Errr... but one of the other 13 airworthy B-17s in the world

WILL be here this Saturday & Sunday" :blink:

Edited by Sixty8panther

Last night I was watching the Military Chanel

OnDemand, they had the GREAT PLANES

episode about the B-25, including many

interesting footnotes about the Doolittle Raid.

freakin awesome show. they had the PB-Y Cats on there too as well as the F-104.

Aww, I think it may have made a Visit to Lawrence Municipal Airport and I missed it. :(

i keep up with the collings foundations schedule a lot. they dropped by the big ole town of anderson about 4 yrs ago i guess. been waiting for a return ever since. we have had the snowbirds here back to back 2 years (more hopefully) running. the Collings foundation has been on the west coast a while, but it looks as though they are heading towards your way in august.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

Very cool!

I stumbled upon the Liberty Belle a few years ago when it visited Charlotte. I happened to see it flying over Auto Fair and just went driving around to local airports to see if I could find it.

It came through again last year but crapped a motor almost as soon as it landed. It had to wait on the tarmac for a replacement and once the replacement was in it puked a starter, so they didn't give any rides.

I have lots of pictures that I'll try to dig up.

One cool thing was a short, massively bearded guy signing the door of the plane. Being naturally curious, I walked over to see what the fuss was about. Turns out he flew in the war as a belly gunner on a B-17 that was shot down over Germany. First, I cannot imagine being a belly gunner and second, I REALLY cannot imagine the horror of being shot out of the sky in that thing.

That's when men were men.