Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Mystery 1921 car

12 posts in this topic

Interesting- but there were SO many manufacturers back then, that it's a tough task.

Of note- the sharp angle where the front fender meets the running board- fairly unique.

Doesn't seem to match up with Fords, Maxwells, Dodges, Willys or Buicks.... the sales leaders in the mid-late teens... searching could take hours.

Looks like a REO to me too. I just looked at a lot of them last week because of a question Sixty Eight asked, which got me looking ...

Toyota Camry

It just looks that way because the photo is so beige. ;)

Or because, even moreso than today, cars back then looked so similar it can be impossible to tell them apart, hence the lack of a definitive answer.

Solved: 1917 REO Touring

That funny radiator cap has to be trendy for the time, kinda like pink wiper arm boots from the 80's.

That funny radiator cap has to be trendy for the time, kinda like pink wiper arm boots from the 80's.

Or curb feelers and fuzzy dice.

Solved: 1917 REO Touring

Looks like more than one model of '17 REO :

1917 REO Car #2

Lots of significant detail differences on this ^ car, and this one shows different hood louvers :

Another '17

Apparently "The Fifth" model is quite different. I do see other pics that match the car in question as '17 REOs - good work.

Edited by balthazar

Looks like more than one model of '17 REO :

1917 REO Car #2

Lots of significant detail differences on this ^ car, and this one shows different hood louvers :

Another '17

Apparently "The Fifth" model is quite different. I do see other pics that match the car in question as '17 REOs - good work.

One thing that threw me off were the front fender and how it came to a sharp angle like you mentioned earlier. If you google 1917 REO, some scale models and a couple pictures come up but the front fender curves in and the body seems to be more refined.

23reo01.jpg

But then I found this picture, also labeled as a 1917 REO

CAR.JPG

...and it looks to be the same vehicle as the earlier picture. At first I thought the people in this photo may have replaced the fender and running boards, but perhaps this was a base model.

Edited by mustang84

I saw that same pic too --but many people here in the Cyber-Age have just as much trouble ID'ing this era cars as we had here-- it could be mis-ID'd.

Even the bumper/frame height on the B&W car doesn't match the green car's... I can see changing fenders, radiator shells, 'bolt-on' components like that.... but it's unusual to change 'hard point' details like the curve at the cowl. Those 2 above share absolutely nothing. Still not 100% convinced.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0