• Announcements

• Drew Dowdell

Network Issue   06/28/2017

We are aware of an issue with our upstream network provider.  The site will be sluggish or unresponsive.
Sign in to follow this  
trinacriabob

"Different" sound identifed!

3 posts in this topic

trinacriabob    18

Ok, part II, there was a whirring sound coming from the front of the 92 Regal, 3800 V6, with almost 260,000 miles, that changed with the rpms but did not affect drivability nor economy.

I had written down stethoscope for athis Saturday morning's errand. No need. (I was intially thinking pulley, alternator, water pump, p/s pump, or even a minute exhaust leak)

Today, driving home from the rail station, the low coolant light came on and off. In fact, last night, at Borders, I noticed some drips in front the car, but no temperature issues.

No temperature issues today, either, but that can/will change real soon. There is a coolant leak under the water pump area. That water pump has gone for about 140,000 miles.

Ok, so some questions now:

(1) UNBELIEVABLE - when I lifted the hood, there was a small linear gash in the under-hood blanket. Then I noticed that the edge of the serpentine belt appeared torn. It was about 10,000 miles old. WTF!!! How does that happen? (I was really lucky last night, driving home from a rural area about 35 miles away when I heard a weird noise).

(2) Chicken or egg? Belt (replacement) about 10,000 miles ago affected water pump, or water pump affected belt?

(3) Water pump repairs - can't/won't do this on my own. How much is the average R&R for a water pump at (a) a dealer, (b) Firestone/Goodyear, (c ) Pep Boys...or anyone else you recommend. Not having had a repair in about 2 years, I don't have a regular mechanic where I now live.

Your advice/input is sought.

trinacriabob    18
R&R can be done in under an hour, part can be as low as $30-40 all the way to over $100 at a dealer. Depending on what labor charges are and if you need new hoses to go with it you're looking at somewhere between $100-$200.

As for the belt, the water pump could have seized a few times and the belt could have been slipping on it. I can't imagine a belt damaging a water pump.

Thanks, Joe, I was sort of thinking the same thing about the chicken/egg conundrum.

Also, I know if anyone around here knows their way around the 3800, you would be at the top/toward the top of that list!

SAmadei    224

When the belt is removed, double check that all the pulleys/accessories don't move or wobble. Also double check that you have the correct belt.

My '89 GMC van from my father has a belt eating habit, and I've been damned to find it... the belt is VERY tight and it destroys the belt roughly every 10K.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online