Ultimate luxury idea

PurdueGuy

I was reminded yesterday of an idea I had a while ago, and thought I'd share. This does go in the far-fetched idea category, but I kinda like it, so here it is.

A while back, I was thinking about what Cadillac in particular could do to differentiate itself in the luxury brands, and it occurred to me to start pondering...

What is the greatest luxury?

Leather? A nice audio system? Powerful engine? Navigation systems and other gadgets? Nah.

SERVICE! Think about it - what is more the picture of luxury: a guy with a fridge by his hot tub, or a guy with someone who will go get him a drink or whatever he asks (maid, butler, etc). Service is the greatest luxury, IMO.

So, continuing the thought - how can Cadillac, for example, provide great service? Of course we all think about mechanics doing good work when something needs fixed. No, think outside the box! Cadillac service stations. Not simply a gas station, but more like little oasis. You drive a Cadillac, we pump your gas for you, check your fluids - all the full service station stuff. Then expand on that. Bring customers things they want in their cars (like a Cadillac Big Gulp :) ). At stations in colder climates, figure out a way to have more shrouded stations, so you get in out of the cold. Make it refreshing to go to. Make it very, very clean, and include the A&S theme in the station.

Over time, implement technology to it. Automated gas pumps. Let the car communicate anything it needs (top off a fluid, etc). Also, have one or two repair bays in case a Cadillac needs service there instead of at a dealership (for simpler repairs), and send a tech to the station.

Of course, for economic reasons, the stations would probably serve any vehicle, just not cater to them as much, and charge them for some of the things that are perks to Cadillac owners. It could also make other car owners jealous of those with Cadillacs, as they get the preferred service.

The thought also crossed my mind that many people would see this as an unhealthy relationship between GM and the oil companies (selling gasoline). That might be true, but another advantage to this concept is that it gives GM an easier avenue through which it could do early hydrogen infrastructure implementation.

So there ya go - my wacky idea. I have no idea if it's economically feasible or not, and there are probably big problems with the idea, but I kinda like it anyway. :)

I like your fresh thinking. Something very appealing about it. Kind of boutique gas stations. I agree about luxury not just about the car, but about the buying experience, the attentive service, little extras that make people feel pampered. Now that's luxury...you are right on the money.

Hmmm... very interesting. I think this actually has a chance to work financially in urban areas. The roadside assistance trucks would opperate out of these stations and certain ones could be open 24/7 so if you wanted your oil changed, tires rotated and AC recharged at 3:45am it would be no problem. Great post! GM! you listening?