HHR SS in Sports Car Race at Road Atlanta.

hyperv6

Here is a neat video on a HHR SS.

It looks like he was fast while it lasted. I don't know if he lost the engine or just a oil line. I wonder if he got the stickers off before they towed it to the dealer. LOL!

It did look like it was fast against prepared sports cars. the Video car is a 914. I see a Mini S and a lot of RX7's too. I like my SS too but I think I would have got the Cobalt SS before I would try to run the HHR on the track. 3200 ponds and a lot of upper weight would have hurt performance vs low slung sports cars.

That weight up high is exactly why I probably won't buy one. I would be afraid to push it in an autocross.

Neat Vid. though...

Chris

Autocross is not a problem. You are not going to flip it unless your really get stupid. I saw a Mini on two wheels because he got stupid it can happen to many cars.

Just upper weight in a race with real sports cars would be a disadvantage.

Not worried about flipping it, but the upper weight can be a problem when trying to get a really good fast time. I don't even like how my buddy's Focus SVT is when you push it.

But yeah, I think it is a little top heavy for competition. Would be a fun car to race though. And you would have plenty of room in the Back to haul a set of Hoosier A6's to the autocross...

Seriously, it is cool to see one of them road raced.

I've seen stranger things on track. Volvo's of all things used to be the fast cars in SCCA Improved Touring "B"

Chris

Nasty looking fire...

And the way the HHR went all unstable makes me think that he broke something serious.

Could have just been a bit of panic though - flames will do that to you.

He either threw a rod or broke a line. That is a oil fire and the slipping around was oil under the tires. He did a real good job of saving it. Odds are he did not know how bad the flames looked as inside the car they are hard to see.

That is unless it is a pretty open car. I have seen them come up in the shifter boot area and that gets your attention.

Between the noise and the sights he must have seen in his mirrors, I expect he knew rather quickly.

I think the engine stopping and the oil under the tires had him holding on enough he was not looking in the mirror much. At that point it more about where you are going than what is behind you.

Either way he did a good job getting off track and not looping it. He drove

Either way he did a good job getting off track and not looping it. He drove

Which is what is so cool about this type of event-getting to see good amatuers at work.

He drove well indeed. I'd like to meet him.

Chris

That is unless it is a pretty open car. I have seen them come up in the shifter boot area and that gets your attention.

Since it's a FWD vehicle, the shifter would be cable driven & probably not allow flame into the cabin, as the cables would pass through a very small grommet area. Doubtful that a quick flame like that got into the passenger compartment.

Since it's a FWD vehicle, the shifter would be cable driven & probably not allow flame into the cabin, as the cables would pass through a very small grommet area. Doubtful that a quick flame like that got into the passenger compartment.

That is my thought.

In a race car the holes are not always sealed as well as they should be.

Most cars should have pretty sealed boots but I have seent burn thorgh.

THe HHR is just a cable and few ways to get inside in a fire like this. With his blind spots and not looking back he probably did not know how bad it looked.