Driver blames spider inside car for crash

Intrepidation

WEYMOUTH, Mass. -- An "itsy bitsy spider" caused a big crash in Weymouth.

Amber Buckner, 26, was at the corner of Princeton and Bridge streets when she was distracted by a spider inside her car.

She rear-ended the car in front of her, which went straight up onto two wheels and collapsed on top of her car.

Buckner, her passenger and Danielle Evju, the driver of the car she struck, were all taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

"She's like 'Oh my God, is everybody all right? I was just paying attention to the spider, the spider that was on my windshield.' And that's all that she was paying attention to," Evju said.

Buckner is being charged with following too closely and with driving an unregistered vehicle.

"I think that it's absolutely ridiculous, that she should have pulled over, I think paying attention on the road, I mean these are people's lives."

Firefighters told Evju that the way her gas tank was hit, she could have been killed.

(Copyright © 2009 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO124842/

"She's like 'Oh my God, is everybody all right? I was just paying attention to the spider, the spider that was on my windshield.' And that's all that she was paying attention to," Evju said.

Not being there, its hard to judge. I know that a lot of people do not react properly to things that they may have a overreaction to.

As someone who drives many cars that have been sitting, I can attest to the WTF moment when a spider, fly, mouse, snake, hive of bees starting flying around the car. And if it happened at the exact right time, it could cause an accident. Fortunately, I recover from the shock quickly... but even a 1/2 second while driving a car, is an eternity.

Is it plausible it caused the accident? Yeah. Is it likely... no. She was probably on the phone to her friend... "OMG Brenda! Theres a spider on my windshield. Eew! Its going to crawl on me. Where is a tissue?" *drops phone* "OMG! I dropped the phone! I need to twitter this!" Reaches for phone. "Wha..." *CRASH* *tinkle* *tinkle*.

Firefighters told Evju that the way her gas tank was hit, she could have been killed.

BS. Firefighters, Police, bystanders _always_ act like you should have been toasted, lacerated, crushed, etc. beyond recognition, since they all have PhDs in thermodynamics, applied physics, chemistry, etc... I think it helps stoke the "hero" angle. My local firefighters are like the ones in the movie "Pleasantville"... wouldn't know fire if their asses were on fire.