BRACES - Good Gawd!

I just had my first ortho consultation. I decided that, with the flex spending plan at work, I would pop for braces this year. My uppers are right on. My lowers are crowded. I got this consult because only some dentists can do the Invisalign.

He said it would take 12 months + up to 2 or 3 more months. The cost is $ 5600 for conventional ones (which he recommends for me) and $ 6300 for the Invisalign which will take 18 months. YIKES.

I definitely need the remaining 2 consults. Two girls who work in my office went to the same, but different, ortho for quite a bit less money.

Any of you gotten braces PAST your teenage years? Costly? Was it painful?

I'm going to go through with it. I am doing it mostly so I can floss and keep my teeth in good health in later years since both of my parents had problems in their later years with their teeth. It's just a matter of picking the right ortho at this point. Edited by trinacriabob

I got braces as a kid and then about three years ago because the bite wasn't quite right. Invisalign would not work for my type of adjustment, but if it does for yours, I would go that route, though I don't know anybody who actually had those. I spent about $5000. Insurance took care of only about $1000. As for pain, it's just the soreness after they do the periodical tightening. Flossing is a pain. I had them for 18 months, and overall it wasn't too bad.

My orotho put normal braces on my baby teeth, which I now think were a waste of money for obvious reasons. My teeth really aren't that bad but I think they can be better. I'm getting Invisalign soon (have my first appointment in January sometime) and then I'll be set. The ortho said I'll have them for one year max. I don't know what the cost is because my parents are paying for it (I'm 19) and I believe our insurance covers part.

I got braces the summer before my freshmen year in high school and had them on for just under 2 years. I've always had a small mouth so my teeth were always crowded and I ended up having four permanent teeth pulled (plus wisdom teeth a couple years ago). The braces will make your teeth sore for a while, but after they start moving into position it isn't too bad. Everytime they change rubber bands and tighten wires it'll be sore for a couple days, but if you take some Tylenol it's not too bad. When you first get braces on (if you get conventional ones), your mouth will feel full with all these wires and brackets all over the place. I played trumpet for high school band, so they had to give me some wax to put on the brackets until I developed callouses on my lips. Braces ruined my ability to play the trumpet though...it's so hard to hit high notes when you have a mouth full of metal. Make sure if you have conventional braces that you really try hard to brush around the brackets and between the wires. I have certain spots on my lower teeth where I didn't get in as well with the toothbrush and it caused some decalcification on the bottom of the teeth. I think I ended up buying an electric toothbrush to help me get my teeth cleaner. All in all, I think my braces were only about $3500. They gave me a retainer to wear after I got them off, but I stopped wearing it after a while and my teeth shifted JUST enough so that it doesn't fit anymore, but they still look good. I got lucky, because some people's teeth go completely back into their old positions if they don't wear the retainer. Braces are definately worth it in the end, however. Edited by mustang84