Any chance of the G6 getting a DOHC V-6?

Well... that Accord kind of competes with the GTP version of the G6. That and it also comes with a 6spd manual. I, personally, would never consider an automatic regardless of how many gears it has. If you only want an automatic, I see your point, but atleast that 4spd auto has a reputation for reliability, unlike Honda's auto. As far as fuel mileage goes... yeah, it's mediocre. GM f**ked up there.
Sadly, I agree.

[post="79738"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you just can't use the reliability argument against Japanese cars--no one except twisted GM fans will buy it. Honda auto transmissions don't have problems, on a general basis [cue rabid fan citing the one recall Honda has ever had on auto transmissions]. Honda engines don't have problems on a general basis. Honda suspensions are fun to drive. Honda steering is some of the best around.

You see all those perceptions I just threw out. Those are based on fact. When you've got that to go up against, you have to bring out your best, kind of like what Nissan tried to do with the Altima, that car excelled in two specific areas when it debuted that others in its class lacked, garnering it some attention: styling and engine power. The chassis was also exemplary. Pontiac didn't bring its A game with the G6. Tasteless amorphous styleless center stack, subpar interior materials, lower-powered engine, optional and expensive and inefficient high-powered engine, outdated transmissions, spondy chassis. I want to like it so much, in fact a part of me wants to own one. But I can't see it as anything other than good cheap transportation. Not on a level with Accord, Mazda6, Altima [in some really important ways]. GTP starts at 25k and goes from there, that engine should be available from 21k all the way up. That's how Accord and Altima do it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you just can't use the reliability argument against Japanese cars--no one except twisted GM fans will buy it. Honda auto transmissions don't have problems, on a general basis [cue rabid fan citing the one recall Honda has ever had on auto transmissions]. Honda engines don't have problems on a general basis. Honda suspensions are fun to drive. Honda steering is some of the best around.

You see all those perceptions I just threw out. Those are based on fact. When you've got that to go up against, you have to bring out your best, kind of like what Nissan tried to do with the Altima, that car excelled in two specific areas when it debuted that others in its class lacked, garnering it some attention: styling and engine power. The chassis was also exemplary. Pontiac didn't bring its A game with the G6. Tasteless amorphous styleless center stack, subpar interior materials, lower-powered engine, optional and expensive and inefficient high-powered engine, outdated transmissions, spondy chassis. I want to like it so much, in fact a part of me wants to own one. But I can't see it as anything other than good cheap transportation. Not on a level with Accord, Mazda6, Altima [in some really important ways]. GTP starts at 25k and goes from there, that engine should be available from 21k all the way up. That's how Accord and Altima do it.

[post="82408"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Um... okay? Last time I checked, I was also a Honda fan. I was NOT saying Honda has crappy reliability or that the engines are crappy or anything else. IMO, Honda's engines are the best mainstreams ones you can buy, but not their auto transmissions. They're not as smooth or reliable as GM's tried and true 4spd. I was simply saying that. Why do you think GM continues to use it despite it needing more gears? It's been cited that some cars, like the new Impala, got the 4spd over other transmissions because of reliability (and other factors like cost). Personally, I'm not a fan of GM's 4spd auto transmission, but I can't deny it's reputation for quality.

As for the G6, of course. What? Do you think that I think it's the greatest midsize sedan you can buy or something? Fuck no... I whole heartedly agree with you and with C&D's placement of it in that comparision.

Um... okay? Last time I checked, I was also a Honda fan. I was NOT saying Honda has crappy reliability or that the engines are crappy or anything else. IMO, Honda's engines are the best mainstreams ones you can buy, but not their auto transmissions. They're not as smooth or reliable as GM's tried and true 4spd. I was simply saying that. Why do you think GM continues to use it despite it needing more gears? It's been cited that some cars, like the new Impala, got the 4spd over other transmissions because of reliability (and other factors like cost). Personally, I'm not a fan of GM's 4spd auto transmission, but I can't deny it's reputation for quality.

As for the G6, of course. What? Do you think that I think it's the greatest midsize sedan you can buy or something? Fuck no... I whole heartedly agree with you and with C&D's placement of it in that comparision.

[post="82431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry BV, most of the content of that post wasn't meant for you.

Your line about Honda got me thinking about the many times someone here has tried to say they have crappy reliability, based on one instance or one recall. Honda and Toyota like any other manufacturer are going to have thier issues, but as a whole, they have produced cars that are a lot more perfect and durable over time than any other carmaker, and that really is a fact. though it appears American makes are finally catching up in that respect. Though I wish someone would offer objective proof of GM's newfound durability.