Autotrajic to manual in 4th gen F body

How hard is it to switch a 4th gen V6 F Body from autotrajic to row your own?

Think we all know where this is going...

Also...how weak are the rear ends on these cars? What other common failure points do they have?

Chris

How hard is it to switch a 4th gen V6 F Body from autotrajic to row your own?

Think we all know where this is going...

Also...how weak are the rear ends on these cars? What other common failure points do they have?

Chris

Considering I think I know where this is going, I'd say its pretty easy. The clutch is likely hydraulic, so the clutch pedal can be mounted anywhere... but pedals sets are generally around. IMHO, the worst would be matching up the driveshaft.

Million dollar question... 5 speed or T56?

I've been around/helped with autotrajic to manual swaps in vintage mustangs and late model VW TDI Diesels.

Before I jump in, I need to know what is involved.

Remember, we need to keep this under $500. Also, I am going to try to meet with a few guys that have done LeMons, and ask them about using the car as is with the autotrajic.

Chris

If you have access to a whole manual donor car, its probably quite doable. Its likely more of an issue of getting the ECM to work right than the mechanical hardware, particularly if its a 3800-powered car since they were all OBD-II.

Of course, the other handicap if it had the auto. is that it might like my '96 have the lazy 3.08 gears.

Edited by fightingbee

To bee: I think my Firebird was a Y87 posi car with T/A steering gear. Like I was telling 66, I didn't have any RPO codes to confirm this, but the visual evidence was there: it had T/A rims and larger sway bars, so I couldn't imagine these pieces being on the car from the factory without the posi diff and T/A steering gear.

Edited by whiteknight

To bee: I think my Firebird was a Y87 posi car with T/A steering gear. Like I was telling 66, I didn't have any RPO codes to confirm this, but the visual evidence was there: it had T/A rims and larger sway bars, so I couldn't imagine these pieces being on the car from the factory without the posi diff and T/A steering gear.

You didn't have a SPID sticker? Usually Posi diff has a G80 RPO on the SPID. Also you should have a little tag on the diff that specifies that it needs limited slip additive. Failing that, there is the age-old diff check where you jack up the rear and rotate a tire... with a Posi, both tires will rotate the same direction (unless its worn out to the point of uselessness), a standard one legger will have the tires rotate in different directions.

I can see a V6 car getting TA steering gear, but I doubt Posi would have helped it much.

If you have access to a whole manual donor car, its probably quite doable. Its likely more of an issue of getting the ECM to work right than the mechanical hardware, particularly if its a 3800-powered car since they were all OBD-II.

Of course, the other handicap if it had the auto. is that it might like my '96 have the lazy 3.08 gears.

In this case, the car doesn't have to pass emissions testing, so a CEL isn't a problem. While the ECM is not going to be happy without the transmission input, it would likely only try to put the transmission in 'limp home mode'... and not effect engine performance.

In this case, the car doesn't have to pass emissions testing, so a CEL isn't a problem. While the ECM is not going to be happy without the transmission input, it would likely only try to put the transmission in 'limp home mode'... and not effect engine performance.

Probably, but I have heard of power problems happening in some swaps when trying to reuse an AT model's ECM or PROM.

Perhaps just rigging the AT wiring to shut off the 4K RPM park/neutral limiter is all that's needed?

Also, I think with a Camaro at least, if you have rear discs you have a G80, not 100% on that though. You might at least have a 3.23 rear if thats the case as well.

Edited by fightingbee

If we run the 'bird as a LeMons car, we'll just run it as an autotrajic.

Finishing the race is far more important than outright speed.

Chris

+1. The car will have speed, the most important thing is it gotta be nurtured for the 24 hours of brutality.