Bob Lutz Notes + Production Camaro Decision Timefr

I highly doubt they would ever sell 165K per year. Coupes just don't sell anymore for some unkown reason. Now if it was a new Toyota Crossover vehicle, then sure. Hopefully 165K reflects a certain time period so that GM does make this car. Does anybody have any specs on the car or know a target price? What are the other lower end engines going to be besides the top 6.0 liter LS2? Curbweight etc. One thing for sure that will kill this car before it even hits the streets is a high price tag, too long of a delay of introduction and low production. Remember the T-Bird? If I were GM, I would very closely follow the Mustang formula for this car to succeed.

there's another interview of Bob Lutz out there, don't have the link handy.. where he says "100-150" to make it profitable.. 100, now that's a reasonable number

To everyone who says that they'll get 160k a year if they have three trim levels, uh where do you think all of the lower trim cars, and the bulk of the sales, will end up? Avis, Budget and all the other rent-a-car plaves by the airport. That and high school girls are where a lot of non-GT Mustangs end up, why would it be any different for the Camaro? They might be able to come close to 160k the first year, but there will be tremendous dropoff and, knowing GM, the 5th gen will go unimproved for years and years like the 4th gen, then become a victim of the bean counters. A couple of Pontiacs and a Buick are really the only way for the Camaro to be built and to stay in production.

I honestly think they'll make a killing off of this car. It's a great concept, and it's faithful to the Camaro nameplate without beign a carbon copy of an older model....unlike some others....

When they build this car, I will buy one.

I think this car is very different from the last generation. The last car I think was stale. I know the sales sucked of the last generation but at the time they werent all that affordable I wanted one bad but it was 27k I couldnt afford it. For one I think GM is poised to really offer value prices from here on in, the Camaros of the last generation werent value priced this one will be. Also the market for cars like this has changed. All these car shows have gotten a lot of people who were never car people into cars . I think the market is ready I think people are salivating for this car and if the designs are kept fresh every 4 to 6 years the car will keep most of its audience after the whole initial buzz wears off. All GM has to do is build it and promote it, it will sell. 165k is a lot but I honestly can see 120 k. I think this car has the charm of the 69. People are ready for this car. build it

Edited by Munson05

I think this is a different time a different car a different market but well see.

Yes and, plus, this car will have much more on the Mustang than it did before.

And.. I doubt they're looking at just the Camaro to make 160k units. I think they're looking at the Camaro and its platform-mates..