Australia's V8 Supercars category to be broadcast on SPEED network

V8 Supercars' massive US coup

Wednesday 25 November 2009

Author: Press Release | Source: V8 Supercars Australia

V8 Supercars Australia, in association with FOX Sports USA, today (Wednesday) announced an exciting new partnership for the next three seasons where SPEED, a member of the FOX Cable Networks with more than 79 million subscribers in North America, will televise the Series to all North American subscribers the weekend after each event.

“V8 Supercars is one of the most exciting forms of auto racing in the world today,” FOX Sports Chairman, David Hill, said.

“It is fabulous to watch and I’m happy that we’ve been able to develop this new partnership with SPEED.”

V8 Supercars Australia Executive Chairman, Tony Cochrane, said the deal was a huge milestone in the ongoing and rapid success of V8 Supercars and its international recognition.

“This is a fantastic and exciting relationship for V8 Supercars,” he said.

“There is no question that SPEED in North America is the foremost network with regards to motorsport coverage and is the pinnacle platform in our sport; to be held in such regard by this highly professional organisation is a great testament to the quality of our television coverage and our racing.

“Each year we build our international presence and our TV reach next season will go to in excess of 135 customer countries in varied forms of live, delayed and packaged highlights.

“We are delighted to announce that the coverage will commence with next week's Sydney Telstra 500 being shown on SPEED over the weekend of December 12 and 13 in North America as a taste of what North American fans can view all of next season.

“I would like to thank David Hill personally and the entire FOX Sports and SPEED teams for showing their great faith in V8 Supercars.

“This is the first of many new international TV announcements that will be rolled out between now and our opening event at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi next year.”

Hill was a guest of V8 Supercars Australia at this year's Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 and he declared the sport amongst the best racing he had seen in the world.

He believes the category will warm to the hearts of Americans who have made NASCAR the second biggest sport in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch the race?

I got to see a bit before I gave up due to being continually called away and shut it off. So much for my promised 2 hours of peace to watch the telecast. I'll watch the recording later.

Dunno what it was like on your cable service, but the bits I got to see had via our Rogers digital cable feed had audio synch problems.