Single disc navigation

07_Denali

Aparently on the new GMT900s if you opt for the Navigation radio you only get a single slot DVD/CD player. No CD changer available like the previous models. This stinks! When you have the Nav CD in the player, you have no option to play music CDs. This seems like a typical GM oversight to me.

Even the Caddy does not offer a CD changer. You get one extra slot for 1 more disc. Better, but still not adequate.

Comments?

Aparently on the new GMT900s if you opt for the Navigation radio you only get a single slot DVD/CD player.  No CD changer available like the previous models.  This stinks!  When you have the Nav CD in the player, you have no option to play music CDs.  This seems like a typical GM oversight to me.

Even the Caddy does not offer a CD changer.  You get one extra slot for 1 more disc.  Better, but still not adequate.

Comments?

Hmm...that is interesting, and completely correct according to the ordering guide. At least they finally fixed the issue of Chevy's and GMC's with the Nav only being able to play 1 CD or 1 DVD at the same time--and never both together.

But I guess the reason they got rid of the CD changer on Nav-equipped models (still there on lower stereo models) is because so many people now, especially people who buy Nav-equipped cars, rarely use CD's, in favor of just plugging their MP3 player into the jack. That'd certainly be true for me.

Or XM radio.  GM is probably going to really push that in the SUVs.

Also true. Actually, they started pushing that with the '03 models and it got so popular then, it's hard to find a new GM SUV on the lots that doesn't have it. B/w Sat. Radio and the cool new MP3 player jacks, the use for CD's is getting less and less.

CDs are going to be phased out within the next 10-15 years. If not sooner.

It's a technology that doesn't compete with the online music business and the majority of the albums that have been released over the past decade include one or two hit singles per CD.. while the rest of the CD is total crap.

People don't want to pay $17 for two songs because that's what you're paying for.

CDs are going to be phased out within the next 10-15 years.  If not sooner. 

It's a technology that doesn't compete with the online music business and the majority of the albums that have been released over the past decade include one or two hit singles per CD.. while the rest of the CD is total crap.

People don't want to pay $17 for two songs because that's what you're paying for.

Yep, exactly. I used to occasionally buy a CD or two, but when the world of downloading one by one ($0.99 is my favorite) and putting them on an MP3 player that is more compact and as easy to use as anything, came about, I stopped wasting that money.

I would LOVE if my car had an Aux. jack on the face of the stereo like so many do now, but that can always be added, and in the time being, my good old cassette adapter works beautifully.

Mom has the upgraded 6-CD changer unit in her Suburban, but there's never any more than 2 CD's in there at a time. Dad still is just barely getting around to cassettes (yeah...I know...), but keeps wanting me to tell him about MP3 players and how I get the songs. Basically, CD's are going nowhere but down the tubes...

I have an iPod shuffle that I just started using. With the aux input jack on the dash it will be pretty cool.  I guess I will stop complaining about the lack of the CD changer then!

See? Problem solved :AH-HA_wink:

People have to stop listening to $h!ty music if they only enjoy one or two songs on a CD. Typically, you won't find on FM radio or MTV/MM.

But to keep on topic, it's a pretty dumb decision on GM's part. This switch-over to invisible media won't happen overnight. If it was, it already would have.

People have to stop listening to $h!ty music if they only enjoy one or two songs on a CD. Typically, you won't find on FM radio or MTV/MM.

But to keep on topic, it's a pretty dumb decision on GM's part. This switch-over to invisible media won't happen overnight. If it was, it already would have.

Actually, it sorta is...and if you have CD's, it takes all of a couple minutes to put all or some of the songs from one onto an MP3 player. Just a cleaner, easier, less bulky option for me, and quite a few other people anymore.

I don't think a changer not going with a Nav will be much of a problem at all--you can still get it without Nav, though.