Next Malibu on EP II

91z4me

We have read that the next Malibu will be larger and fill the role of the current Impala and Malibu combined and will ride on EPII. After seeing a MaXX and a Equinox next to each other in a parking lot yesterday something occurred to me: What if EPII shared some parts of Theta?

Here is the chart I made with the dimensions:

Equinox MaXX Impala

Length 188.8 187.8 200.4

Width 71.4 69.8 72.9

Height 69.3 58.1 58.7

As you can see the in some dimensions the Equinox is quite close to the current Impala and if made more car like through the use of parts of the current Epsilon unibody I feel that a very viable car could be produced rather quickly in cheaply.

If we took the long Theta platform and added only 11.6 inches to it we would then have an overall length the same as the current Impala and we should have a VERY large trunk along with more room for passengers, than the current Thetas. The width is also very similar and if they keep the door thicknesses the same as the Malibu it would probably have as much or more passenger room, as far as width.

What do you guy’s think? Could Epsilon grow to near Impala size by using Theta pieces? Also by sharing parts with Theta costs could be reduced while adding things, like AWD.

If this is true, GM's direction with Chevrolet seems to make some sense:

The Malibu (probably because of it's numerous, stellar jdpa rankings) would be kept around, but land on EPII -- making it fall somewhere in-between the current Malibu and Impala in size. The Impala would move off of the W body and onto a rwd platform.

Why? How about the current overlap in GM's lineup:

2 middle-market FWD sedans in the Chevrolet lineup alone. Now add in: G6, Lucerne, Lacrosse, Grand Prix, and lasltly the upcomming Aura and you can see how far GM's expense-dollars are stretched.

If you follow the new scenario, Chevrolet would have a mid-market FWD sedan and a mid-market RWD sedan. Seems ok so far. You want a middle-market sporty-sedan? Pontiac G6. Something more upscale? Buick Lucerne. Something more youth-oriented? Aura.

It would seem like GM is finally getting some segmentation and direction in it's sedans offerings. Looks good so far. I'm guessing here, but would the LaCrosse make a jump to RWD along with the Impala? That would seem natural. I'm guessing that if GM choose to segment something about the G6 in the Pontiac lineup, that it would be a RWD'er as well; although with the combining of Pontiac and Buick dealerships, you could argue that a RWD Buick could fulfill that role.

Edited by cmattson

Have you heard anything about an increase in width on EPII?

In my opinion on your 1st post, you are heading in the right direction IMO. There will be parts sharing between Epsilon and basically every platform near it in size (Delta, Theta). It is either going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, or the worst thing since Aztec.

In my opinion on your 1st post, you are heading in the right direction IMO.  There will be parts sharing between Epsilon and basically every platform near it in size (Delta, Theta).  It is either going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, or the worst thing since Aztec.

So any imput on which dimensions will increase, besides weight.

They'd better increase the wheelbase to at least 109"! It has one of the shortest wheelbases and widths in the class-1986 was 20 years ago-no more 69" widths on a mid-size car! Ever! Try 72 at least! And jack that trunk space back to 17 cubic feet, like the last Malibu, where it was at or 2nd-best (once the Saturn L-Series came along). No excuses!

They'd better increase the wheelbase to at least 109"! It has one of the shortest wheelbases and widths in the class-1986 was 20 years ago-no more 69" widths on a mid-size car! Ever! Try 72 at least! And jack that trunk space back to 17 cubic feet, like the last Malibu, where it was at or 2nd-best (once the Saturn L-Series came along). No excuses!

The Maxx already has a 112.3 wheelbase, the Nox has a 112.5 wheelbase. I don't forsee any need to lengthen them.

Here is the legroom comparison

Equinox: Legroom (Front)41.2Legroom (Row 2)40.2

Malibu Maxx: Legroom (Front)41.9Legroom (Row 2)41.0

Impala: Legroom (Front)42.3Legroom (Row 2)37.6

Not the next Malibu, no. It will simply gain a longer wheelbase like the MAXX and G6.

Which explains why there will be no Maxx on the next Maliibu.

So let me see if I get this. Malibu gets a refresh and goes LWB as a true sedan, not 5 door like the Maxx. Then the EPII Malibu comes out around 2010. Did I get it right?

I was referring to the Malibu sedan-but wait a minute, I thought the 2008 GMX386 Malibu was cancelled until Epsilon II came into fruition. Either way, it needs to get here soon! Fusion, Sonata, Camry, etc. will eat it alive!