North Miami Beach city worker kills self on flight

Flybrian

See what happens when you cut incentives?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13831219.htm

North Miami Beach city worker kills self on flight to L.A.BY DAVID [email protected] man accused of torching a North Miami-Dade car dealership because he was unhappy with the deal he got on a car killed himself aboard a flight from Washington D.C. to Los Angeles, officials confirmed Thursday.

Gerald Georgettis was found in a bathroom aboard United Flight 209, which made an emergency landing at Denver International Airport on Wednesday afternoon. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

His death was first reported Thursday morning by Miami Herald news partner WFOR-CBS4.

It was unclear how he killed himself, but Denver police stressed no other passengers were in danger. CBS 4 reported he hanged himself. In a case that drew widespread attention in South Florida, police say that on Saturday Georgettis was upset with the deal he got on a Ford Escape at the Metro Ford dealership at 900 NW Seventh Ave.

Georgettis plowed the new car into the showroom glass, then set the business on fire, Miami-Dade police. He worked for the city of North Miami Beach and handed in his resignation on Monday.

''I'm shocked. I still can't believe it,'' North Miami Beach Mayor Raymond Marin told The Miami Herald Thursday morning. ``I know him as nothing more than an nice guy. I can't say anything bad about him. I don't know what happened.''

Posted Image

Gerald Georgettis was accused of driving his vehicle into the Metro Ford dealership in Miami, then setting the showroom on fire Saturday afternoon, causing up to the $1 million in damages.

There was something else going on in his personal life. This isn't about the deal he got at the Ford dealership...that's just where he snapped.

Mayhem...then arson...then suicide. It doesn't have to come to that. People should get help.

I'm with Trina on this one. Somebody having a really bad day. I've seen customers freak out in the various lines of work I've had, and I've even seen them phone or come back in and apologize at a later time when they were out of line.

We are all over stressed in our work and personal lives these days. I am guilty as charged. I"ve over reacted when someone cut me off, didn't signal or whatever and regretted it later. Once I worked myself up into a raving state, then realized it wasn't the current situation at all - it was something that had happened earlier in the day.

Of course, thousands of people across North AMerica will hear about this guy and shave their heads as they think how underhanded and sneaky car dealers are.....

Jeez, how could this guy have gotten away from the scene of the crime?

It's pretty clear, as trina-bob said, *something* was already just under this guy's surface and he popped. Smooth reaction, pal, yowza- how about having a few drinks instead...?

I heard about the story yesterday, I think it was, and it surprised me. I know that I get my feathers ruffled the wrong way pretty routinely working in the auto parts business, but its nothing that a couple of hours at the gym working out, or having a drink while at dinner can't fix. If someone gets that P-O'ed about things, then he/she should seek professional help.....suicide certainly isn't the answer.

Jeez, how could this guy have gotten away from the scene of the crime?

Glad I'm not the only one with that thought here.

I mean ... geez. The guy drives a vehicle through a dealership window, sets it ablaze, and walks away? It's not like people didn't know who did it. And, he somehow gets on a plane (presumably) to Washington DC before the police can catch up to him and arrest him?

And, then he gets on a plane in DC, bound for LA, only to kill himself so the plane had to land in Denver?

*shakes head*

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Everybody wants love to be easy" ... Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ... 'Stand A Little Rain'

Yes indeed, bad things do happen when you drive a Ford. :(

I am left wondering how the F%^& anyone can hang themselves in an airplane washroom - was this guy like 4 feet tall or what?? I'm only 5'9" and I know I wouldn't have room to hang. Did he have to open the lid and dangle his feet in the bowl? we may never know......