Chrysler Looks for Small Car Development Help

Variance

The Daily Auto Insider

Friday, February 10, 2006

February 2006

DaimlerChrysler is "scanning the globe" for a joint-venture partner to develop and build a subcompact car for its Chrysler unit to sell in North America, The Associated Press reported, citing company spokesman Jason Vines.

The company is in talks with several automakers because it cannot profitably build a subcompact, or B-segment car, without another automaker as a partner, Vines said.

"We're hoping to get a B-car someday, but we will not build it on our own," Vines said.

Vines confirmed a report saying Chrysler has been in talks with Hyundai and Volkswagen about a subcompact car joint development project.

Chrysler currently is co-developing a minivan with Volkswagen.

He refuted reports that Chrysler has a plan to build a small car with a Chinese partner in China and export the vehicle. Chrysler vice president Joe Eberhardt said Wednesday the automaker is looking to possibly tap into the strong Canadian and Mexican small-car field with a B-segment offering.

Most of the top car companies participating in the U.S. market, including General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Co., sell B cars in the U.S. They tend to develop the small vehicles for other markets where such cars are in higher demand and offer profitable returns, and then adapt them to be sold in the U.S.

The segment has grown in recent years, and GM expects subcompact vehicle sales to increase by 5 percent to 10 percent this year. However, Eberhardt said the automaker doesn't see a reason to specifically develop a subcompact for the U.S.

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...rticle_id=10656

DCX has nothing to do with Mitsubishi anymore.

Incase you didn't know, they really don't have anything to do with Hyundai anymore either. DaimlerChrysler sold off its 10% stake in Hyundai I believe because the German overlords didn't appreciate Hyundai's pride in developing the basic design of DaimlerChrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi's, and then sold its stake off.

It was part of Schrempp's vision of a "Global Empire".

However, DaimlerChrysler still works with Mitsubishi- take the next-generation Sebring for instance.

With the way things are going, aside from "engineering prowess" or whatever label they give to German automobiles, I believe Hyundai would be a better bet at helping develop a B-Class car. It would be more cost effective than dealing with problematic Volkswagen.

And I agree with Raven that Chrysler should have kept Plymouth. There were so many vehicles that could have saved the brand. The PT Cruiser was going to be a Plymouth, and then there was also the Pronto Spyder which previewed the 2.4L TURBO 4.

Let's just hope it doesn't look like that nasty Hornet thing. Ugh!

Edited by MyerShift

Mopar had an ideal subcompact base! It was called the Mitsubishi Colt and Smart forfour platform! The 2000 Chrysler Java concept car previewed it and program PA44 was underway, but it got foolishly cancelled and no other Neon variants (other than Neon and PT Cruiser) came to production, and DaimlerChrysler's paying for it now, not just in the Caliber's ugliness and odd styling, but also in their lack of conventional subcompact or compact cars. Now DCX has to crawl to VW for their new and not-improved (from what I remember) Polo platform. And yes, Dodge should have kept moving upscale in a sporty fashion-now we get boxes and bad grilles and strange front ends, what's next, Viper gets Caliber styling? That's a nightmare I hope never comes true! And by moving Dodge up and giving different exteriors and possible interior pieces, Plymouth should've stayed.

Mopar had an ideal subcompact base! It was called the Mitsubishi Colt and Smart forfour platform! The 2000 Chrysler Java concept car previewed it and program PA44 was underway, but it got foolishly cancelled and no other Neon variants (other than Neon and PT Cruiser) came to production, and DaimlerChrysler's paying for it now, not just in the Caliber's ugliness and odd styling, but also in their lack of conventional subcompact or compact cars. Now DCX has to crawl to VW for their new and not-improved (from what I remember) Polo platform. And yes, Dodge should have kept moving upscale in a sporty fashion-now we get boxes and bad grilles and strange front ends, what's next, Viper gets Caliber styling? That's a nightmare I hope never comes true! And by moving Dodge up and giving different exteriors and possible interior pieces, Plymouth should've stayed.

The words, the words! You've pulled them from the synapses of my brain!

Yes, the Java was neat. Plymouth should still be around.

Oh, I think DCX is pretty safe from FIAT now days- Ford is trying to get a deal with them now. Ironic, isn't it? But, you know, before GM danced into the Fiasco de FIAT, DCX tried to buy the whole damn thing, or something like that!