Road Ahead ... Perspectives

In September 2009, I road tripped along the Illinois portion of the Lincoln Highway and Route 66 from Illinois to California. That trip increased my awareness of "old routes" in general, including others like the Dixie Highway and US Route 6. Last year's journey also increased my awareness of the "road ahead". Whether the road is "less traveled" or filled with traffic, looking ahead is most-often fun, in more ways than one.

Around the Elgin area, I "exercise" my Monte Carlos on the same "old" roads west of Elgin, including US Route 20:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_20_in_Illinois

Some of those roads, particularly US Route 20, are different roads in different places. In this shot west of Starks IL, US Route 20 is a "rural" road:

RAperspective1_USRT20_WofStarks.jpg

Meanwhile, in Elgin, US Route 20 is a 4-lane bypass highway...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgin_Bypass

...as evidenced in this shot heading east in Elgin:

RAperspective2_USRT20_ElginSC_EofMcLeanBlvd.jpg

Beyond that line of trees on the right hand side is the Elgin Softball Complex where my bro-in-law's Tuesday team and my Dad's Friday team play.

Starting in 2008, I've researched new "routes"...or variations of paths I've taken before. The more I've driven the same roads, the more I actually NOTICE, including how...

...different things are spotted when traveling one direction on a road vs. the other direction on the same road [the crest of a hill in one direction might reveal a spectacular site (especially at sunset or sunrise), while the crest of that same hill going the other direction may only reveal a dilapidated old barn hidden among a grove of trees]

(and)

...routes interconnect/intersect with others, such as IL RT 47 crossing several major cross-country routes, including US Route 20, The Lincoln Highway, US Route 6 and famed US Route 66.

Thus, this year (2010), I started taking pics of the "road ahead" around here, similar to what I took along Route 66, except in some cases I added the element of "perspective". I took one pic in each direction, showing how the pathway looks different going one way versus traveling the other. Three examples....

#1 ... IL RT 47, intersection with BURLINGTON RD

NOTES

~15-20 minutes north of this intersection, IL RT 47 crosses US RT 20:

http://picasaweb.google.com/knightfan26917/RT66TRIPDAY15#5431275012661266562

~2+ hours south of this intersection, IL RT 47 crosses US RT 66:

http://picasaweb.google.com/knightfan26917/DriveSouthTNAL112709112909#5431282615925577026

Heading North on IL RT 47:

RAperspective4_ILRT47atBurlingtonRd_headingN.jpg

Heading South on IL RT 47:

RAperspective3_ILRT47atBurlingtonRd_headingS.jpg

#2 ... RUSSELL RD, curve east of MUIRHEAD RD

Looking to the NorthEast:

RAperspective5_RussellCurve_lookingNE.jpg

Looking to the SouthWest:

RAperspective6_RussellCurve_lookingSW.jpg

#3 ... NOLAN RD, between BOWES and HOPPS RDs

Looking South:

RAperspective7_Nolan_lookingS.jpg

Looking North:

RAperspective8_Nolan_lookingN.jpg

So...what have YOU noticed as you travel in your home area/state?

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrekRT=Aug2010 *

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Life has been patiently waiting for me" ... Rascal Flatts ... 'I'm Moving On'

• 4 weeks later...

Another example....

#4 ... US ROUTE 20, curve west of Pingree Grove IL

Sign just after the intersection with IL RT 72 and IL RT 47, where all 3 roads share the same pavement for ~.5 mile:

RAperspective9_USrt20eUSG.jpg

Heading West on US RT 20:

RAperspective10_USRT20curveWofPGrove_headingW.jpg

Heading East on US RT 20:

RAperspective11_USRT20curveWofPGrove_headingE.jpg

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Beginning to think that I'm wasting time" ... Dobie Gray ... 'Drift Away'

US 421 has always been an interesting road for me to travel on. Locally, there aren't many sections of it that have expanded into major four lane thoroughfares, but outside of the state, around Bristol I believe, it really opens up. Local sections of 421 can be pretty challenging to drive on as well.

There's also Route 160 out in Lynch that traverses Black Mountain, the highest point in the state. That road is a real test of skill and handling and, if the roads are bad, it's not one that you would want to travel on. It's actually one of my favorite roads of all time.

Oh, btw KF, I got your PM about those die-cast cars. I tried sending an e-mail, but I've been having a lot of issues with Windstream's e-mail/servers lately. If you'd still like to know anything about them, shoot me a PM here anytime.

• 3 weeks later...

US 421 has always been an interesting road for me to travel on. Locally, there aren't many sections of it that have expanded into major four lane thoroughfares, but outside of the state, around Bristol I believe, it really opens up. Local sections of 421 can be pretty challenging to drive on as well.

There's also Route 160 out in Lynch that traverses Black Mountain, the highest point in the state. That road is a real test of skill and handling and, if the roads are bad, it's not one that you would want to travel on. It's actually one of my favorite roads of all time.

Sounds like these are 2 roads I need to drive sometime in the future ;).

Oh, btw KF, I got your PM about those die-cast cars. I tried sending an e-mail, but I've been having a lot of issues with Windstream's e-mail/servers lately. If you'd still like to know anything about them, shoot me a PM here anytime.

YES ... please tell me about 'em. Send me a PM if you want, but I probably won't see it until I'm here next....lol. :)

Good point on perspectives.

*nods*

Thanks. It's just something that caught my attention, for whatever reason...lol.

I'll see your Russell Road, and counter with Kirbytown Road (similar 'tar stitching') :

DSC00302.jpg

Heh ... I don't know about you, but that "tar stitching" is a bit annoying, especially in some places along Russell Rd, where it is not flat with the payment ... it makes it feel like the car is "off", if that makes any sense....lol.

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?

"I'm out of my pain" ... Beth Hart ... 'LA Song'