Tipping for walk-up service-Starbucks, sandwiches?

Do you tip when you walk up to get coffee/food?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip when you walk up to get coffee/food?

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

I won't say I never do it. Sometimes my "soft spot" gets affected and I will throw the remaining change or that rare dollar bill into the jar when I go up to the counter at a Starbucks or a pizza place.

Tips are for table service. Until the last 5 or 10 years, I rarely saw tip jars at places where you walk up to get your coffee, tea, sandwich or pizza. Now they are everywhere. I don't really dig it and, if you use a credit card, there's that space for a tip that you either fill in or zero out in front of them. Talk about being put on the spot.

I will only drop in money 10 % to 20 % of the time. That is if they are genuinely friendly and attentive or if they were generous with a portion. Run of the mill service means the pocket change is mine. Now, when I lived up in the Northwest, there was this transplanted Italian chick from the Northeast and she would ALWAYS put extra goodies in the bag. Her and I had a great rapport and she said I made her feel less homesick (even though I'm from L.A.). You bet I would tip to the tune of about what that cost.

Negatory, especially Starbucks where its not only expensive but there's very little prep work compared to a deli, etc. and especially when you just grab something from the shelf. Its like tipping the gas station clerk even though you filled up your own car. Now, I would tip a local place where I frequent often whose staff didn't rotate on a weekly basis.

I don't really dig it and, if you use a credit card, there's that space for a tip that you either fill in or zero out in front of them. Talk about being put on the spot.

I tend to put a big ----------------- through that space and write the original total on the bottom line. That crap doesn't work with me.

I do occasionally. Those people need the money, and I always appreciated the tips when I was at Qdoba (I got more tips than anyone...heh).

At Starbucks, the people there try to build good customer relatonships, and so I'd do my part by tipping...often generously. They give me so many free drinks that it is totally worth it...I KNOW I've come out ahead!