radeon Fans

I thought they were going to move to a 32nm chip with the 6xxx. Guess it will be the 7xxx that would get the benefit of smaller architecture.

Nevertheless, it looks like a miser in power usage, unlike NVIDIA, which are tending to be power hogs.

Initially, AMD's GPU's were going to 32nm, but GlobalFoundries had a couple issues that prevented it from occurring. However, that's what makes these chips quite impressive; initially, they were thought to be merely nominal improvements over the current 5xxx-series, similar to what nVidia did with its G92 architecture for the past couple years.

It'll be interesting to see how the fanboys react to the new cards. The ATi name is finally being done away with, and they'll be called AMD Radeon's. You can bet some Intel nerds are going to buy inferior nVidia cards just to not have 'AMD' products in their PC. :P

Initially, AMD's GPU's were going to 32nm, but GlobalFoundries had a couple issues that prevented it from occurring. However, that's what makes these chips quite impressive; initially, they were thought to be merely nominal improvements over the current 5xxx-series, similar to what nVidia did with its G92 architecture for the past couple years.

It'll be interesting to see how the fanboys react to the new cards. The ATi name is finally being done away with, and they'll be called AMD Radeon's. You can bet some Intel nerds are going to buy inferior nVidia cards just to not have 'AMD' products in their PC. :P

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. :P

Despite being intel fan for the purpose of workstation capabilities, I love ATI err AMD video cards.

Honestly I am looking forward for its Open GL workstation version to see how it kills the Quadros. The Quadros dominate that market.

both of you are wrong...mostly.

i believe GF's 32nm process was going to have to make them change the design somewhat because of process specs.

6000's are named "northern islands" and stays on 40nm while "southern islands" is going to stay at TSMC for their 28nm 1/2 node jump is what i understand, for mid/late 2011.

the only thing that was confusing was that the codenames were switched for quite awhile, according to the widely accepted knowledge, where ever it came from

Edited by loki

I am probably wrong, but the last time I've more or less given up reading hardware news because it's often FUD, and totally wrong. Then of course, there's the comments sections which more or less devolve into debates about how one's CPU choice determines their sexual orientation or the (questionable) morals of their mother. :P

I am probably wrong, but the last time I've more or less given up reading hardware news because it's often FUD, and totally wrong. Then of course, there's the comments sections which more or less devolve into debates about how one's CPU choice determines their sexual orientation or the (questionable) morals of their mother. :P

or the, you're stupid!

am not, here's why.

dude i was joking.

:(

lol

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the unveiling is the 22nd, this Friday. To celebrate, and make myself feel less bad about my soon-to-be obsolete technology, I overclocked my GTX 470 to 480 speeds. :P

yep...

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20547-radeon-hd-6870-has-151w-tdp

it's going to be faster the the 5850, but slower than the 70... idle lower, and same TDP it's the 69xx's that are going to really take the crown from the 480. and then it's almost confirmed by how much talk there is about a 580, that nvidia is just waiting for.

with bulldozer coming out hopefully q1'11 this combo would be very awesome....but then the"7xxx"'s will supposedly be out in q4'11...28nm tech. :D

yes, it's a is it what i want when i can buy it. oh well. my x4 and 4770 can last me certainly till then. haha

just ~1 month till the 6900's (non x2's)

just 2 months for the "x2" "6990"

it's kinda interesting that AMD isn't making these crossfire x3 or x4 capable.. oh well. :)

10.10 driver should be out any day...

i wonder if they are actually gonna make a full line out of it? seems silly to do a "600" in the series, but i think might be useful to redesign the bargain chip. just depends on how well/fast llano, ontario, (the atom killer) comes out and the performance of them.