2011 Volt, Leaf, and more

pow

Yesterday I went to the AltCar expo in Santa Monica, CA, where manufacturers were showing off their alternative fueled vehicles:

GM - Volt, Cruze LTZ, Silverado Hybrid, Equinox Fuel Cell

Nissan - Leaf

Honda - Civic Hybrid, Civic CNG, FCX Clarity

Toyota - Prius Plug-in, Highlander Fuel Cell

Mercedes - B-Class Fuel Cell

Kia - Borrego Fuel Cell

CODA - EV sedan

Ford and Toyota dealers - their respective hybrids

VW dealer - Jetta SportWagen TDI and Golf TDI

Others - EV fortwo clone, X-Prize vehicles, etc.

GM had two Volts there, one silver and one black. They were offering test-drives, but there was a 100 person waiting list, so I only rode in the backseat. Overall impressions:

* Great looking car with interesting details. The projector headlight fixtures, the unique LED tails, the center mounted reverse light, the piano black window trim, the black room, and the silvery metal grill pattern made the car look far more expensive and original than a Prius. The profile is quite sleek, and it's far sportier than the plebeian Cruze that was nearby. The styling is definitely appropriate for a $33,500 car.

* Great interior. Both had black leather interiors. There's a decent amount of soft-touch materials in the front (upper dash and door panels), and the perforated leather was a nice touch. In pictures the interior looked a bit cheap, but in black at least, it wasn't. I was pleasantly surprised by the white center stack, which looked like a Chinese Apple knock-off in pictures, but it works in person. I'm 5'11" and found the rear seats comfortable. The overall driving position is quite low, so it feels like a fairly sporty car. Build quality was good; the doors slammed with a solid thunk, though some of the exterior panels on this "non-saleable" production model weren't aligned perfectly. Overall, I found the interior appropriate for a $33,500 car.

* I rode in the black Volt, which had lime green interior accents and gray center stack; I prefer the other one. The car had just switched into E-REV mode when I climbed in, so it was interesting seeing how the generator worked. At parking lot speeds, the generator switched off, so it was still quiet and EV like. When it got to cruising speed, the generator kicked in seamlessly, giving a low-pitched slight drone. It's not unpleasant, but running completely silently in pure electricity is far more preferable. The rep says it gets about 30-50 MPG in extended range mode. No squeaks, rattles, or creaks that I noticed, and I didn't notice anything wrong with the ride quality or wind noise, etc. The car had 2500 miles on it. We were mostly in stop-and-go traffic, so we were going pretty slow...

Overall I came away impressed by the Volt. I like how it looks different from any car on the road today, and I liked the comfort and practicality of its interior. There were tons of people gathered around it, in contrast to the handful in the Toyota booth. Definitely a very polished and refined vehicle.

I got a chance to test-drive the Leaf, because Nissan had brought a dozen or so. Whereas the Volt is sporty in a traditional low-slung, big wheels sort of way, the Leaf is more like a pleasant, stress-free transportation pod. I thought it looked pretty good in black and red, and it's certainly distinctive, like a mystical little jewel or something. The interior is roomy; you sit upright unlike in the sporty Volt, and there's excellent visibility all around. The cabin is bright and airy, the center stack is lovely, and the materials are fine -- not as nice as the leather-lined Volt -- but it's appropriate for a $25,000 car, which it is. The whole interior ambiance, whether it's from the light fabrics used or the organic shape of the dash and doors, makes it the perfect antidote to the stress of commuting and routine life. It lowers your pulse, and really it's the complete opposite of the Volt.

The biggest impression I got from driving the Leaf was how quiet, seamless, and stressfree it was. The power comes on silkily, the electric steering is light yet accurate, and the regen brakes feel completely natural. I prefer it to driving a Prius. The car comes with an excellent navigation system that shows the radius you can travel on the remaining charge, and overall, the reps from Nissan did a good job alleviating the issue of range anxiety. This is perfect car for those who live in urban areas, have a smart phone, live in states that have a public charging infrastructure, etc. I thought it was clever how Nissan utilized advanced telematics to make 100% EV viable, and I think for some, that's preferable to having to lug a rarely-used ICE around.

I also drove a Golf TDI. I have to say, in these stop-and-go environments, the internal combustion engine, even a clean diesel, is completely outclassed. Whereas the Leaf was completely smooth and seamless, you could feel the DSG working as the clutch engaged and disengaged, or the turbo kick in at 1700 rpm. In the loop we drove around in, I averaged 14.5 MPG. This is more a car for the highway.

Lastly, there's the CODA EV sedan, and what a joke. Its internal electric bits may be fine (bigger battery and longer range than Leaf), but the build quality of this modified Hafei Saibao was atrocious. It's like a 150K mile 1988 Camry inside. And they're trying to sell it for $44,900 before tax credits. Keep dreaming...

Very nice details...

...I want to experience the Volt, and of course check out the Leaf. We know when to expect our first Leaf at my dealership, and have had a few inquiries, but it's really still quiet and TBA on them.

The Coda...woof.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to actually drive the Volt this time. Brief impressions:

* It was in extended-range mode again. Car had driven 36 miles on EV, and another 36 miles on 1.2 gal gasoline. Do the math. This was a mostly stop-and-go test drive route, so YMMV. Hypermilers have gotten as much as 50 miles on EV.

* At parking-lot speeds, it felt like an EV. No vibrations, silky throttle response. Very nice.

* When the ICE turns on, it is a little odd, but it's something you'll get used to. The engine was still revving when I was coming to a stop. Brakes weren't the sharpest in the world, so if it were an ordinary car, I would have thought unintended acceleration / pedal overlap. Push harder and it stops fine.

* Plenty of smooth, effortless electric torque around town.

* Visibility is hampered by massive A-pillars. You'll get used to them.

* Suspension is tuned on the comfort side. You can feel the weight shifting around in corners, and it rebounds gently from speed bumps.

* They had a base model with cloth seats, rubber steering wheel, and normal alloys. Still a very nice car. Doors were hefty and slammed with a solid thunk. Great build quality.

Overall I thought, when judged as just a car, it was a much more pleasant and inviting experience than the Prius.

PICS:

photo1ku.jpg

photomks.jpg

Edited by pow