The Future on Lincoln

intrigued

I think Lincolns are handsome cars but they are also tarted up fords with little in the way of unique tech. With Mercury shut down and the PAG brands sold what do you think Ford needs to do to catapult Lincoln into the top tier of luxury vehicles? We know that there are 7 new or heavily revised vehicles coming to the brand in the next few years so let's speculate what each of us would do if we were in charge of product planning. I'll get this kicked off.

My plan has then emulate Audi with wider use of more advanced AWD and turbo.

Focus based sedan and maybe a wagon FWD/AWD with 1.6 ecoboost 180hp/180ftlbs base and optional (awd only) 2.0 ecoboost at 245hp/265ftlbs - Competes with Audi A3 and lower end 1 series.

MKZ sedan and coupe based on next global mondeo/fusion, AWD only. 2.0 ecoboost 245hp/265ftlbs with 3.7 liter v6 at 325hp/285 ftlbs in sport models. This body styles should compete with the A4/A5 and 3 series.

MKS Sedan - AWD only with 3.7 liter v6 at 325hp/285 ftlbs and optional 3.5 ecoboost with 400 hp and 420 ftlbs. A6 competitior with a8 interior room, bit of a tweener.

MKX - I like the new MKX as is, matches up perfectly in the segment.

MKT - regular updates swap out the 3.7 for the updated mustang version and it's fine

Navigator - total exterior and interior redesign with 3.5 ecoboost as the only engine (use the version from the F-150.)

Highstrength steel, aluminum and magnesium would be used to achive lower curb weights across the board even with standard awd on some models. I think this would be a good next generation with a better realignment of the larger sedans coming in the next gen.

Your MKZ idea is fine, but every car above that needs a total replacement.

Lincoln needs a Lincoln Only platform, RWD and AWD of course, and they need 3 sizes of that platform; Medium, Large, and Extra Large.

Build sedans on each platform, a coupe/convert off the medium platform, and then do a crossover on each as well.

There ya go, the entire Lincoln lineup, except the MKZ, replaced on one platform.

oh... and drop the MK nomenclature.... even "Mark 1", "Mark 2", "Mark 3" would be an improvement if they don't want to go back to real names.

I *love* product planning threads, intrigued biggrin.gif & congrats on your moderatorshipness!

I agree with a lot of your post

tho mine's a F-Awd/Rwd combo

& might recco all EcoBoost + Hybrids if possible...

btw

afaik the Focus is close to 3-series size, the MKZ = the ES/5-series, & the current MKS is longer than the swb A8 & I keep them that size for the most part

...also keep the MucK tags for the F-Awd vehicles

but with lowercase-muck

---(bolded = new)------------------------------

mkE ('rhymes' with XKE) - Focus-based, very sporty '4-door-coupe', a bit like a 4-seat TT + a global RS version for the next year (those wanting more room can get the mkG)

mkG - KuGa-based, Very car-like CUV

• mkZ - nextgen on euCD4 global platform

• mkX - ^ditto^

mkSS - current MKS wlb but less overhang & more sporty '4-door-coupe' styling

• mkT - don't know if the larger Lincolns will move to the euCD4 platform, assuming some delay

mkS - stretched MKS on the MKT's longer wheelbase ("flagship" sized)

Navigator - based on F-150/Expedition, 5.0v8 & 3.5EB-Hybrid only

**GRwdP** - Global Rwd Platform ! ! !

highest performance models designated "HRL" to rival AMG & 'M'

3 killers:

ZODIAC - Mustang-sized coupe-cabrio & sport sedan

+

international flagship(s):

C O N T I N E N T A L - more "princely" than the MKR, with more "gravitas"

• and maybe a "CONSTELLATION" which could be ^ the '4-door-coupe' whichmight replace the mkSS when the euCD4 merger happens

+

• the BARRA 4.0 INLINE-6 as a North American Lincoln exclusive for their GRwdP cars

I also agree with

"Highstrength steel, aluminum and magnesium would be used to achive lower curb weights across the board even with standard awd on some models..."

may add carbon fibre too

Edited by 2b2

didn't know if I should make a new post titled, "Lincoln: 2013my/2012cy, rumors & web experts"

but since I only have one next-year model to start with, stuck it in here...

MKZ

platform: euCD4-merger - wingsnut @ FiN

new engine: 3.5EB

performance: 0-60mph under 5 seconds, skidpad over .90 g's - wescoent @ GMI, 1/4 mile well under 14.5 BlueII @ BON

styling: Jaguar XF** - BlueII & jpd80 @ BON, BlueII @ BON

** or 4-door Audi A5/S5?; 2b2