Volt - Month 3

Month 3 update for Volt 1712:

A sense of normalcy and routine has set in for me as the Volt completes month 3. No issues or problems to report.

My employer installed electric charge stations late last year and I was the first to use them starting in March. This month, I've been joined by two other Volts. The stations are in the Visitors parking lot, so many folks do a double take when they see the Volts parked there as it's still not a typical sight to see.

As I mentioned last month, I've been driving in Low/SPORT and have reached a high of 51.7 miles in EV mode for one charge. I traveled 747 miles in May and used less than a gallon of gas (0.7). As of June 1st, my total miles where 2070, 1913 of them in EV mode. While in extended range mode, I traveled 157 miles on 3.88 gallons for an average of 40.46 mpg. Since March 10th, I've now averaged 145.36 MPGe (using CT gas pricing of $4.15 per gallon of gas, 9 cents per kilowatt hour, and an average of 40 miles per charge).

So there must be something I don't like, right? Well, yes. Some of the interior plastics could be a higher quality, or maybe I should say a different quality as they scuff easily, especially around the foot wells and door thresholds. I also purchased the all-weather (rubber) Volt floor mats and cargo mat. They look and fit well, but again, they scuff easily. They were significantly cheaper than the mats I purchased for my VW, but the VW mats didn't have the scuffing issue. I guess you get what you pay for . . . Because of the vehicle's aerodynamics, it is difficult to drive with the windows open without the ear drum busting buffeting noise. It takes some playing around with each window to get the right balance of airflow and buffeting. I had a similar problem with my previous VW CC, but to a much lessor extent. In the CC you could just put all 4 windows totally down and that solved the problem; that doesn't always work with the Volt.

The Volt isn't perfect, but the little things I don't care for are totally fixable and have nothing to do with the drivetrain, which is the whole point of the car anyway. It continues to run great, and is really enjoyable to drive.

I'll check back in at 6 months. In July I'm taking the Volt from CT to the Outer Banks of NC, so I'm curious to see how that goes. In the meantime, hit me up with any questions.

Ken

Thanx for the update nice to see a regular owners point of view on this and not a tree hugger site or the likes of Edmunds or CR. I'd relay the interior comments to the GM Zone Rep I'd like to believe that they would want to hear from you on that point. Driving in Low/Sport what would you compare the Volt to as in a conventional sporty car? Please keep us abreast & thanx again.

Thanks for the update! Congrats on going EV 95% of the time. Do you get ICE-anxiety? :D

Actually, I do feel guilty when the gas engine comes on, not sure exactly why. Our other car is a convertible. I feel the same way with that when I drive with the top up on a nice day . . .

Thanx for the update nice to see a regular owners point of view on this and not a tree hugger site or the likes of Edmunds or CR. I'd relay the interior comments to the GM Zone Rep I'd like to believe that they would want to hear from you on that point. Driving in Low/Sport what would you compare the Volt to as in a conventional sporty car? Please keep us abreast & thanx again.

GM is very attentive to the Volt owners. They assign a Volt advisor who checks in regularly for questions, issues, and feedback. Since I just started to notice the scuffing issue, I will be sure to mention it next time she calls.

The Volt compares very favorably to my previous VW CC. I in no way feel I've taken a step backwards. The Volt rides smoother and quieter, taking bumps much better. The handling edge may go to the CC, but neither is a sports car, though definitely sporty. The Volt is actually more fun to drive, with better throttle response and steering. Despite its cool looks, the CC is not as fun to drive as previous VWs I've owned. The CC also had numerous rattles, the Volt does not (at least not yet anyway . . .)

How do you feel the balance is in the car? I felt that the overall balance was closer to a RWD rather than a FWD car... which could be explained with the extra weight of the batteries in the back.

I know GM didn't design it with sporting intentions, but at least the extra weight is going towards a good cause.

How do you feel the balance is in the car? I felt that the overall balance was closer to a RWD rather than a FWD car... which could be explained with the extra weight of the batteries in the back.

I know GM didn't design it with sporting intentions, but at least the extra weight is going towards a good cause.

You know, honestly, I don't think I've driven a RWD car since the '76 Fiat Spyder I had back in the early 80's . . . The Volt is definitely fun to drive, though, much more than I expected it to be. You're right, I'm sure that weight low and in the center adds to the feeling of balance.