The Chevy Camaro will be going NHRA Pro Stock in 2012

hyperv6

It was made offical Saturday that Ken Black Racing with drivers Jason Line and Greg Anderson will swap out the Pontiac G6 for a new Summit Racing Camaro Pro Stock cars this season.

The cars will show up around Gainsville this season.

From those I know the team had lobbied for the CTSV coupe as the aero shape was similar and there was no issues with the c pillar as there was with the Camaro. GM had wanted the Camaro as it was the car that they wanted to promote in the series.

I am not sure if they got the changes in the C pillar area they wanted or not but it will be the car they plan to run.

The cars have been up and running at their test track in Moorsville NC and they are please with the results so far. They do more testing than about anyone so they will not run the cars till they are ready.

That took long enough.

Well it is no longer as simple as saying you want to run X model.

GM pretty much wanted the Camaro for marketing and some of the racers wanted the Caddy for better aero. Also the Camaro body had issues with the wheel tubs in the back and the flow off the window. Chevy came up with some ideas and presented them to the NHRA. They were waiting approval on these changes. I have not heard the details but they must have settled on what they want and agree on. I knew they were testing but did not know it was approved till I got a note from my buddy.

Todays cars are carbon fiber shells and are no longer bodies in white. It this is how they let Chrysler run a 4 door body now. It is much like NASCAR in the rules and engine development. This is why so many of the teams are now in Mooresville NC as they can work with some of the NASCAR teams on engine development.

Jason line did all the head work for Joe Gibbs before he went Drag Racing. He still has ties from NASCAR that help them on their cars.

Ken Black stayed with the Pontiacs even when GM dropped out of drag racing as they knew they would be first in line for any support when they returned. I still think they got more help then GM admited too over the last couple years.

That's too bad really, BIW door-slammers are what Pro Stock will always mean to me. And, not so long ago, the prostock cars would be on the track before the production cars even hit the showroom.

It was not all that long ago the Pro Stock cars were driven from the dealers and converted into race cars.

I got to help with the KB racing team some and these cars are really advanced race cars much more than most realize. The suspension systems are just flat crazy with some of the electronic set ups they had.

KB racing just flat wears out cars too. They make so many runs between races it is crazy. They nearly run every week of the year. They have Moorsville dragway next to the shop and they can run as long as the weather holds.

It is crazy how I get to work with and be around many of the drag racers but I really don't care much for drag racing. LOL! Most are pretty good guys and are good to work with. Even Warren Johnson is not as grumpy as he acts.

I have parts from a few race cars but my prize is one of the pistons from Garlits fastest run he ever made a few years back. It did not seem like anything special when he gave it to me but it ended up as his fastest run when he retired. He is one that is fun to get to sit down and talk about the old days. Give him a Coke and a shady spot if he is not at the track and he can really give you some cool stories.

I like how '70s Pro Stock cars looked like real cars w/ some mods...Pro Stock cars of today look cartoonish, with the huge rear tires and vile hood scoops..

Arlen Vanke was from here and I still remember seeing the Duster he used to run in NHRA prostock. It was so very stock based. He still comes back from AZ every year here to run some of the old Super Stock Pontiacs he used to drive for Knafel. He and a few other old Tin Indian drivers come back to drive some of the old cars. That is fun to watch. They are the real cars too not repo's.