Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Quick Review: 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

July 20, 2012

Back in January, Drew got his hands on a 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 AWD with the 3.0L V6. Seven months later, I have almost the same GMC Terrain, right down to the black paint.

However, Drew has driven the Terrain and its platform mate, the Chevrolet Equinox before. This would be my first go with it.

After a week, what would I think about the Terrain?

Has anything changed since the Terrain's last visit to C&G Garage?

Only a few items of note. In the infotainment department, the Terrain dropped its base radio and replaced it with a large, seven-inch touchscreen radio. Also, GMC's Intellilink which provides smartphone integration, and the ability to stream Pandora and Stitcher Internet Radio is now on the option list.

Also on the options list (only for the SLT-2 model though) is lane departure warning and forward collision alert.

gallery_10485_439_887673.png

The Outside & Inside Story

Exterior

The Terrain definitely fits the "Professional Grade" persona that GMC puts out there. The front end features a large, bold chrome grill that lets everyone know what you're driving. A pair of large, square headlights and a uniquely sculpted hood complete the front. The side profile features prominent front and rear fenders, body cladding running along the bottom of the doors, and a set of five-spoke, eighteen-inch chrome wheels. The back end has a set of taillights that flank a large chrome bar hiding the release for the hatch and a rear-view camera. Also featured on the rear are twin exhaust pipes.

gallery_10485_439_649757.png

However, the designers pumped up the fake testosterone too much and the end result looks like it is trying too hard to fit the Professional Grade persona.

Given the choice between the Terrain and the Chevrolet Equinox, I would choose the Equinox every time.

Interior

Stepping into the Terrain's interior, I was amazed as to how much interior space there was for passengers. Front seat passengers get a pair of heated leather seats, with the driver getting eight-way power-adjustments. Back seat passengers will have nothing to complain about with Terrain as head and legroom are well above average. Also, back seat passengers can also recline and move the seat backwards and forward. Cargo space for the Terrain measures at 31.6 cu.ft. with the seats up and 63.9 cu.ft. with the seats down.

As for the Dash, build quality and materials are good. The center stack is laid out well and most of the controls are in easy reach. The only set of controls that I would move is for the trip computer. The buttons are set too low in the stack for easy reach. I would put them onto a stalk on the steering wheel column like other GM vehicles.

gallery_0_439_569453.png

The Terrain comes with a variety of infotainment options, ranging from a standard seven-inch touchscreen radio that provides AM/FM/SiriusXM/CD and USB input to a Naviagtion system with a 10 GB hard drive for music. This particular Terrain came with GMC's Intellilink system. Like the Chevrolet Malibu Eco and Buick Verano, I had a couple of problems (iPod playback at Alvin & Chipmunks speed on certain tracks and Pandora playing without sound).

Powertrain, Ride, Safety, and Verdict

Drivertrain

The Terrain comes with the choices of a 2.4L direct-injection four-cylinder or a 3.0L direct-injection V6 engine, and front-wheel or all-wheel-drive. This Terrain is equipped with the 3.0L DI V6 producing 264 horsepower and 222 lf-ft of torque and all-wheel drive. No matter which engine or drive configuration you choose, the only transmission available is a 6-speed automatic. The 3.0L V6 makes its 222 lb-ft of torque at a high 5100 RPM leaving the crossover's transmission constantly on the hunt for the right gear. Making a pass requires a lot of planning.

gallery_0_439_424649.png

Fuel economy for the V6-AWD is 16mpg city and 23mpg highway, which shockingly, is identical to the more powerful, larger, and heavier GMC Acadia V6 AWD. Somehow, I was able to coax out 21 MPG for my average.

If you want/need V6 power in your Terrain, wait for the 2013 models with the 3.6L DI V6 to begin rolling out.

Ride & Drive

Driving the Terrain is very a pleasant experience. The suspension does a good job of providing a comfortable ride and isolating road imperfections.

Also, the suspension does a good job of keeping the Terrain stable in cornering and emergency maneuvers. As for the steering, it is weighted just right.

Noise from the engine and the road is kept to a minimum thanks in part to triple door seals, double pane glass, and other sound deadening materials.

Safety

This particular Terrain was equipped with the optional lane departure warning and forward collision alert. Using a camera mounted in the rear-view window, the two systems warn you if you're drifting into another lane or are about to run into the back of a vehicle. In theory, both systems should work very well. In practice, one out of two isn't bad.

The lane departure warning is more a nuisance than a help, just a warning light and audible beep. Also, a study from HLDI found out vehicles equipped with lane departure warning were in more accidents than vehicles without the system. The forward collision alert is a good system, flashing a big, red light on the dash and beeping. The system also prepares the braking system for the driver to hit the brakes quickly.

One item I do have to give GMC kudos for is the dual mirrors for the side-view mirrors, which helps minimize the Terrain's blind spots.

Verdict

The GMC Terrain is one of the best CUVs on sale today. Despite my dislike for the exterior styling, most of the overall package is just right for most crossover buyers.

There is an Achilles heel though to the Terrain and that is the optional 3.0L V6. The power isn't quite where you want it in certain situations, the six-speed automatic hunts for gears, and fuel economy makes you think you're driving a larger vehicle. This is a case of right car, wrong engine.

For most buyers, the 2.4L Ecotec four is all you need. For those who need V6 power, wait till the 2013 Terrain comes with the 3.6L V6. You'll sacrifice nothing in fuel economy but gain more horsepower and torque.

gallery_0_439_162177.png

Disclaimer: General Motors provided the vehicle, insurance, and one tank of gas for this review.

Year - 2012

Make - GMC

Model - Terrain

Trim – SLT-2

Engine – 3.0L DI V6

Driveline – All Wheel Drive, Six Speed Automatic

Horsepower @ RPM - 264 @ 6950

Torque @ RPM - 222 @ 5100

Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 16/23/19

Curb Weight – 3798 lbs

Location of Manufacture – CAMI Assembly, Ingersol, Ontario

Base Price - $33,010.00

As Tested Price - $36,495.00 (Includes $810.00 Destination Charge)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

Great review, I do Disagree with you as the Chevy Twin is way to Female for me. The Terrain is awesome looking.

Still Wish GMC would make a Black Diamond edition.

Metallic black paint with lots of clear coat, Black Chrome rims, all body chrome is black chrome and then black out windows. I think that would be a perfect package.

I do agree after having driven one a couple months back at a dealership when my son was shopping around, I was disappointed in the V6 and would say the 4 is more than enough for now and people who want the power should wait for the 2013.

Solid review.

The Terrain is extremely well sorted, and although I didn't first like the look, in person, on the road, and especially after one was added to the family, I think it looks great where the Equinox is well done but blands out for me.

My mother is up to about 23k+ on her 2011 SLT-1 AWD with the 3.0L, and having put more miles on it faster than any previous vehicle, zero issues and still pleased with the 3.0L smoothness, power and fuel economy. Continues to do well on fuel, especially versus the 3.6L in her Camaro before, and the 3.0L is a butter smooth revver. Doesn't initially seem torquey but likes to rev and moves smoothly. Now if only it had rear seat vents for the HVAC, their only complaint. Large inside and can get hot/cold in the back seat area.

Black & chrome. Sharp tester.

Guest Guest

I just bought a Carbon Black Metallic 2012 Terrain nearly identical to the one used for this review. Mine doesn't have the lane departure warning or the front-end collision alert. I've only had it for 2-3 weeks, but I'm very pleased. The 3.0 liter is smooth and the ride is decent even over rough roads.

I traded my '08 Equinox Sport with the DOHC 3.6 VVT V6. The 3.0 has the same 264 HP, but it does not have the torque available at lower rpm's that I'm used to (the Equinox had 250 lb ft available at 3200 rpm).

I would have gotten the 2013 Denali with the new 301 HP V6, but the deal on the SLT was too good to pass up. If mpg is not your chief concern and you want better than average performance with SUV functionality and a well appointed interior choose the 2012 SLT with the 3.0 liter. The 2013 gives you the optional 3.6 with sports car-like performance (standard on the Denali). The Denali gives you more Chrome trim, wood accents inside and a few more features including an 8-way power passenger seat.

Guest RJ

I just bought a Carbon Black Metallic 2012 Terrain nearly identical to the one used for this review. Mine doesn't have the lane departure warning or the front-end collision alert. I've only had it for 2-3 weeks, but I'm very pleased. The 3.0 liter is smooth and the ride is decent even over rough roads.

I traded my '08 Equinox Sport with the DOHC 3.6 VVT V6. The 3.0 has the same 264 HP, but it does not have the torque available at lower rpm's that I'm used to (the Equinox had 250 lb ft available at 3200 rpm).

I would have gotten the 2013 Denali with the new 301 HP V6, but the deal on the SLT was too good to pass up. If mpg is not your chief concern and you want better than average performance with SUV functionality and a well appointed interior choose the 2012 SLT with the 3.0 liter. The 2013 gives you the optional 3.6 with sports car-like performance (standard on the Denali). The Denali gives you more Chrome trim, wood accents inside and a few more features including an 8-way power passenger seat.

Guest RJ

I missed this one before.

I agree with almost all that is stated.

The styling is subjective as you either love it or hate it. I at fiirst hated this thing but once I really started to compare the Nox andTerrain the Terrain grew on me. It is almost like you crossed a Torrent and a Hummer. Ther is no right or wrong you either like the Nox or the Terrain and that is just what both are supposed to do.

The tranny is fine and does not hunt once you learn to drive the vehicle and the engine in the sweet spots. The 3.0 and 3.6 need to be driven with RPM, The engine pulls from 3,000 to 6,000 RPM and if you keep the revs up it does not jump around. THe tranny will drop down in gear once you are moving but you need to apply the gas and it will kick down to 3rd gear and move back through them in a smooth undetected manor. This thing is just does not drive like a Small block with a Turbo 350.

The lane departure and collison detector is a pain in the ass. The lane detector likes to go off often on secondary roads that are not wide. It is ok on the interstate of state highways. We leave this off all the time anymore. It was the first thing the wife said to shut off.

The collision alert is a little better. It still has some false detections that can catch you when you are not ready. It does activate the brake system or trottle as the car seems to feel like it studders and loses power or the brakes start to apply. I am not sure what it is doing but the forward motion is lost just slightly. This is not a good thing under false alarm conditions. This is the poor mans system and is not as advanced as the Cadillac. We keep this system on but at the lowest setting. Knowing what I do now I would delete it if I could.

Mileage is good but not great,. But at over 4000 pound it is very acceptable. If you want more MPG buy something less than 2 tons.

I just checked out a Denali today and I am glad I did not wait for it. It is nice but not worth the extra cost. The is just little value int he Denali package vs what you get in the SLT2.

The 3.6 is nice and the extra power is always welcomed but the percentage of power increase is small and it is not enough power to make me regrett getting the 3.0. The 3.6 should have been there in the first place but The 3.0 is not a bad engine either.

The 8 way passenger seat is not really a factor with us as once the passenger seat is set we never change it power or not.

Over all we are very happy and the only thing that is sad is they deleted the Mocha Steel color that we have. It was one of the most popular colors too.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. SalesmanSean
      SalesmanSean
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      GMC had a bit of a surprise for the Dubai International Motor Show with the Desert Fox Middle East truck concept.
      Desert Fox was a special package available on the 1977 GMC C/K 1500 pickup that featured a tan (Buckskin) exterior color with color stripes running along the sides and hood. The package also featured a brush guard, bed mounted sports bar, additional lights, and tan colored wheels. This package was also available for the Jimmy SUV.
      This Sierra 1500-based concept brings this package into the modern era with the same paint color and stripe layout. It also comes outfitted with some off-road goodies such as an off-road bumper with a winch, beadlock wheels wrapped in desert-terrain tires, bed-mounted sports bar with LED lights, skid plates, and a new exhaust system. No mention of a powertrain but we're thinking it could the 5.3L V8.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      GMC had a bit of a surprise for the Dubai International Motor Show with the Desert Fox Middle East truck concept.
      Desert Fox was a special package available on the 1977 GMC C/K 1500 pickup that featured a tan (Buckskin) exterior color with color stripes running along the sides and hood. The package also featured a brush guard, bed mounted sports bar, additional lights, and tan colored wheels. This package was also available for the Jimmy SUV.
      This Sierra 1500-based concept brings this package into the modern era with the same paint color and stripe layout. It also comes outfitted with some off-road goodies such as an off-road bumper with a winch, beadlock wheels wrapped in desert-terrain tires, bed-mounted sports bar with LED lights, skid plates, and a new exhaust system. No mention of a powertrain but we're thinking it could the 5.3L V8.
      Source: Car and Driver

• By William Maley
      GM’s U.S. August Sales up 7.5 Percent
      Total, retail and commercial share up Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, OnStar and GM Financial Expand Hurricane Relief Efforts DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported U.S. August deliveries of 275,552 vehicles, up 7.5 percent from a year ago. Retail deliveries were up 4 percent, and the company estimates that it gained more than one-half point of retail market share.
      U.S. Commercial fleet deliveries were up 19 percent, and the company has gained domestic Commercial market share for 13 consecutive months. Total fleet deliveries were up 24 percent.
      “We had a very strong month, and grew our retail and commercial fleet business on the strength of robust crossover sales at all four of our brands,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “But our focus is on the unfolding crisis in Texas and what we can do to help our customers, employees, dealers and everyone else impacted by the flooding.”
      Alan Batey, president of GM North America, added, “During this crisis, we have seen remarkable acts of bravery and compassion. People are pulling together and helping total strangers like they’ve been neighbors all their lives. It’s inspiring and we are there for all of you.”
      Since the storm, GM has marshaled teams from Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, OnStar, GM Financial and Customer Care & Aftersales to help with current and future needs across the region.
      Among the initiatives:
      GM is offering its OnStar Crisis Assist service to drivers of close to one million GM vehicles in parts of Texas and Louisiana. By pressing the blue OnStar button, customers will be connected to advisors who can provide temporary no-charge access to emergency services, phone and guidance services and 4G LTE Wi-Fi service (provided by AT&T). GM Financial is assisting impacted customers with payment arrangements and waiving related fees. Eligible customers who are replacing a vehicle may qualify for a 90-day deferred first payment.  The company is moving used vehicle inventory to Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac dealerships so that people with flood-damaged vehicles have access to rental cars and courtesy transportation. The Customer Care & Aftersales team, including ACDelco, are working to expedite the shipment of service parts, including electronic components, engines, transmissions and batteries to the region. Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac are offering $1,000 in Disaster Relief Assistance to customers in the most heavily impacted areas of Texas and Louisiana through Oct. 2, 2017. This money can be applied by anyone toward the purchase of a new vehicle, and it can be used in addition to all other retail incentives in the market.  OnStar has handled more than 23,000 calls for assistance from GM customers and is helping to support the American Red Cross with its unusually high call volume because of Hurricane Harvey. GM has donated $1 million to the American Red Cross to provide immediate support to disaster relief efforts around the country, and it has set up a donation web link for employees, who have contributed more than $50,000 in less than four days. Employees from GM facilities in Arlington and Fort Worth are filling three semi-trailers full of personal care items, bottled water and non-perishable food.  
      Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac are launching websites to give customers easy access to all of the things the brands are doing to help the recovery effort.
      August Retail Highlights (vs. August 2016 unless noted)   
      Chevrolet
      Best August since 2004 and best August crossover month ever. The Traverse was up 83 percent, for its best month ever.  The Equinox was up 67 percent.   The Trax was up 11 percent, for its best August ever. The Chevrolet Bolt EV had its strongest sales ever, with 2,052 deliveries. According to PIN data, the Volt and Bolt EV combined for 46 percent of non-luxury, electric vehicle sales in August. Silverado LD crew cab was up 21 percent. The Impala was up 63 percent. Buick
      The Encore, up 31 percent, had its best month ever. The Envision, up 78 percent, had its best August ever. GMC
      GMC’s ATPs hit a year-to-date record of $43,400, thanks the best-ever mix of Denali models. August deliveries of the Acadia were up 36 percent, for its best August ever, and sales have now grown year over year for 12 consecutive months. Sales of the Terrain were up 66 percent, with shipments of the all-new 2018 model starting to grow. Sierra LD crew cab was up 21 percent. Cadillac
      The XT5 crossover was up 28 percent, for its second best month since launch, bringing the combined SRX/XT5 year to date sales up 10 percent. August ATP was up nearly $1,400 to $53,300. Supplemental Data
      U.S. inventory levels are down about 85,000 vehicles from the end of June to about 893,000 vehicles. The company is on track to meet its inventory target, which is to end the year with stocks at or below last year’s level of about 850,000 vehicles, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. According to JD Power PIN estimates, GM’s August incentive spending as a percent of ATP was 13.9 percent, in line with its domestic competitors.  Year to date, GM has the lowest daily rental mix of any full-line automaker at about 8 percent of total sales. GM remains on track to decrease daily rental sales by 50,000 units in 2017. “Hurricane Harvey did have an adverse effect on deliveries during the last week of August for every automaker but the key U.S. economic fundamentals remain supportive of strong vehicle sales,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “With the U.S. economy strengthening, we anticipate retail sales will be strong for the foreseeable future.”

• By William Maley
      Equinox, Acadia, Envision and XT5 Achieve Best July Ever
      Crossover and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for best monthly mix ever July incentive spending as a percentage of ATP below industry average, driving ATPs up nearly $1,000 Commercial sales up 40 percent for best July since 2007 Lowest daily rental sales mix of any full-line automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported July U.S. retail sales of 202,220 vehicles, down about 14 percent from strong sales in July 2016. In July, GM’s crossovers and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for the company’s best monthly mix ever.
      While the U.S. market continues to moderate, sales of GM’s newest crossovers were strong in July:
      Chevrolet Equinox - up 4 percent for its best July ever. Chevrolet Bolt EV – 1,832 Bolts were sold in July for the best month ever. August will be the first month the Bolt EV is available on a national basis. GMC Acadia - up 30 percent for its best July ever. Buick Envision - up 89 percent for its best July ever. Cadillac XT5 - up 6 percent for its best July ever. GM’s July incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction prices (ATP) was 11.5 percent, more than 1 full percentage point below the industry average, and 0.5 percentage points below GM’s 2016 calendar year average. Some of GM’s competitors, without strong truck and crossover businesses, are offering significantly higher incentives across their entire portfolios, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates.
      In addition, GM’s ATPs were about $36,000, up nearly $1,000 from July 2016.
      “We have strategically decided to reduce car production rather than increase incentive spending or dump vehicles into daily rental fleets, like some of our competitors,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations.  “We are working hard to protect the residual values of our new products and growing quality retail and commercial sales, and July’s ATPs reflect that discipline.”
      GM’s U.S. commercial vehicles sales were up 40 percent from last July, the best July since 2007, led by strong large van sales (up 89 percent), small utilities (up 61 percent) and large pickup sales (up 21 percent).  Year to date, GM commercial sales are up 11 percent. U.S. daily rental sales were down more than 11,200 vehicles or 81 percent in July, as planned. In July, GM’s daily rental sales accounted for only 1 percent of GM’s total sales.  GM continues to have the lowest U.S. rental mix of any full-line automaker at about 7 percent of total sales year to date.    
      GM’s July total sales were 226,107 vehicles, down about 15 percent from strong levels last year.
      “Changing customer tastes have driven us to refocus our business on higher margin, faster growing segments, like the crossover segments. We are launching the most all-new crossovers in our history to take full advantage of the changes occurring in the U.S. marketplace,” added McNeil. “Our newest crossovers are performing very well in the marketplace and we’ll build on that momentum with the all-new Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Terrain, Buick Enclave and the introduction of the Regal TourX through the second half of 2017.”
      By the end of 2017, GM will offer customers the U.S. industry’s newest and broadest lineup of crossovers.
      “U.S. auto sales continue to moderate from last year’s record pace, but key U.S. economic fundamentals remain supportive of strong vehicle sales,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate the second half of 2017 will be much stronger than the first half.”
      July Brand Retail Highlights (vs. July 2016 unless noted)       
      Chevrolet
      Colorado was up 22 percent. Both Camaro and Cruze were up slightly. Crossovers best year to date: Equinox, Traverse and Trax. Volt has best year to date. Volt and Bolt EV July sales combined for more than 3,300 deliveries. Silverado LD double cab was up 4 percent. Buick
      Best year to date retail sales since 2005, up 2 percent. July ATPs are highest since December 2015. SUV mix is highest ever at 85 percent. GMC
      ATPs are the highest ever, up 8 percent from last July. Sierra boasts the highest ATPs in the full-size pickup segment. Sierra HDs up 6 percent in July and year to date up 9 percent, the best in a decade Yukon up 4 percent. Yukon had its best July since 2007. Cadillac
      CT6 up 7 percent. Year to date, XT5 retail sales are up 10 percent vs. combined SRX and XT5 sales a year ago. July ATPs up more than $3,000 and lead the luxury market and more than $3,000 higher than its closest competitor. Guidance on U.S. Vehicle Inventory Levels
      We anticipate we will end 2017 at or below last year’s level, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. Pickup, crossovers and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of 2017 vs. the first half of the year. We continue to monitor the marketplace and will make additional production adjustments if needed.
    • By William Maley
      Strong Lineup of Crossovers and Utilities Drove GM's U.S. June Sales
      Crossover retail sales up 23 percent on strength of Equinox Buick U.S. retail sales up 6 percent Commercial sales up 36 percent, for best June since 2006 Lowest daily rental sales mix of any full-line automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported June U.S. retail sales of 202,908 vehicles, down about 3 percent from the same period last year. However, in the fastest growing U.S. retail market segment, GM’s crossover retail sales were up 23 percent, due largely to the strength of Chevrolet Equinox, which were up 36 percent.  Buick’s U.S. retail sales were up 6 percent. 
      GM’s U.S. Commercial sales were up 36 percent, for its best June since 2006.  Commercial and Government sales were 77 percent of GM’s fleet sales for the month.  U.S. daily rental sales were down nearly 11,000 vehicles or 54 percent in June, as planned.  
      GM’s June total sales were 243,155 vehicles, down about 5 percent from the same period last year.
      GM’s mid crossovers, compact crossovers and utilities were up a combined 22 percent on a U.S. retail sales basis compared to the same period last year. This strong performance was carried throughout the Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac lineups:
      Chevrolet Suburban – up 9 percent Chevrolet Tahoe – up 15 percent Chevrolet Equinox - up 36 percent Chevrolet Traverse – up 71 percent Chevrolet Bolt EV – delivered 1,425 vehicles. Buick Enclave –up 10 percent Buick Encore – up 8 percent Buick Envision - up 101 percent GMC Acadia – up 25 percent Cadillac Escalade – up 14 percent Cadillac XT5 – up 29 percent General Motors is in the midst of launching the most all-new crossover offerings into the U.S. market in its history. 
      “Our crossover renaissance began last year with the introduction of the all-new GMC Acadia and Cadillac XT5, and continued this year with the Chevrolet Bolt EV and Equinox,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “The all-new Equinox is off to a strong start and we will leverage that momentum as we introduce four additional crossovers in the second half of 2017.”
      By the end of 2017, GM will offer customers the U.S. industry’s newest and broadest lineup of crossovers.
      “U.S. total sales are moderating due to an industry-wide pull-back in daily rental sales, but key U.S. economic fundamentals clearly remain positive,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate U.S. retail vehicle sales will remain strong for the foreseeable future.”
      June Business Highlights (vs. June 2016)
      According to J.D Power PIN estimates, GM’s incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction prices (ATP) was 12.0 percent in June, equal to our 2016 calendar year average, and lower than any domestic and many Asian competitors. ATPs were $35,657, up nearly $400 per vehicle. First Half Highlights (vs. First Half 2016)
      GM’s U.S. retail sales are on pace with last year’s performance. Q2 incentive spend was about 12 percent, down two full percentage points from Q1. Q2 ATPs are up about $800 over Q1, due to a higher truck/crossover mix and lower incentives. Crossover retail sales were up 23 percent, the highest first half in GM history. Buick’s U.S. retail sales were up 8 percent. Commercial sales were up 8 percent, in a segment that’s down 5 percent. Government sales were up 1 percent, in a segment that’s down 9 percent. Daily rental sales were down nearly 31,000 vehicles or 21 percent. Daily rental sales mix was in a range of about 8 percent, the lowest among full-line automakers in the U.S. industry. Combined XT5 and SRX sales are up 18 percent year to date, the highest first half for Cadillac crossovers. Best Cruze retail sales since 2014. Best Volt retail sales in history. Best Colorado retail sales since 2005. Best Traverse retail sales in history. Best Acadia retail sales in history. From an industry standpoint, GM expects the second half of 2017 will be stronger than the first half.  Pickup and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of the year.
      June Brand Retail Highlights (vs. 2016)                              

Chevrolet
      Corvette and Cruze were up 4 percent and 3 percent, respectively. Colorado was up 3 percent. Equinox had its best June ever. Crossover sales were up 42 percent. Silverado total sales are up 2 percent and retail sales are up 1 percent. Best Silverado month of the year for total sales. Buick
      Lacrosse was up 39 percent. Crossover sales were up 21 percent. GMC
      ATPs were up $1,067 to $44,539. Best Denali month ever – over 31 percent of retail sales. Cadillac
      CT6 was up 4 percent. ATPs were up $2,300 to $56,301. Guidance on U.S. Vehicle Inventory Levels
      We anticipate we will end 2017 with approximately the same day supply of vehicles as we did at the end of 2016 with fewer cars and more trucks and crossovers in the mix. Pickup and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of the year. We will continue to monitor the marketplace and will make additional production adjustments if needed.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook