Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
William Maley

Nissan News: Rumorpile: Nissan GT-R's Future In Question

7 posts in this topic

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

June 30, 2012

From the "Wait, What?!" department comes a report from Inside Line that says the next generation GT-R hasn't been approved.

A source reveals that Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn hasn't given the green light to begin work on the next GT-R. More worryingly, the source says that Ghosn might not give it go ahead at all.

A possible reason as to why Ghosn might not give the green light is in this tidbit from the report,

"Ghosn approved the original GT-R only after being assured that it would make money for the company even at low volumes. Since its introduction, GT-R sales in the United States have added up to just 5,914 units and they have slowed recently to just 583 this year."

Most likely the GT-R isn't making enough profit to meet expectations. Part of that could come from the price increase that has happen since the GT-R was launched in 2008.

• 2008: $69,850 (Base); $71,900 (Premium)
  • 2009: $76,840 (Base); $79,090 (Premium)
  • 2010: $80,790 (Base); $83,040 (Premium)
  • 2011: $84,060 (Premium)
  • 2012: $90,950 (Premium)
  • 2013: $96,820 (Premium)

*2011 saw the base GT-R dropped*

Yes, Nissan has been improving the GT-R every year or so (2013 model sees a increase of 15 for both HP and torque; 545 HP and 463 lb-ft of torque. 0-60 time of 2.7 seconds.), but in the crowded field of sports cars, having numbers like those isn't enough.

A couple other items to take into consideration: in 2009 Ghosn was a champion of the GT-R project. Now, he is the champion of the Leaf EV, something that is way on the other side of the spectrum. Also, chief engineer of the GT-R Kazutoshi Mizuno, recently retired.

Previously, rumors had the next generation GT-R to appear sometime in 2014. Horsepower was expected to be around 600 HP and possibly use a hybrid powertrain. Now, the GT-R is up in the air.

Source: Inside Line

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

Does not surprise me, without a performance guy to champion a given car, the sales numbers do not support keeping a halo like this going. Plus the current GTR never really hit home to consumers the way the R34 or R35 did.

Exactly...and while the car is hugely fast, it isn't anywhere near as reliable or easy to wrench on as a Corvette C6, it's largest competitor here.

I think a lot of performance cars are going to go away....

Exactly...and while the car is hugely fast, it isn't anywhere near as reliable or easy to wrench on as a Corvette C6, it's largest competitor here.

I think a lot of performance cars are going to go away....

Yes, with the Green movement and the fact that you can get some pretty quick fun cars to drive with Turbo 4 or turbo 6 engines without having to take it to a racing level, I suspect over the next few years a number of low selling performance auto's will silently go away.

A friend of mine's brother owns a company that modifies GTRs into insanely fast machines. I visited the facility a few weeks ago and the sights there were simply awesome. They are getting 1,200 hp out of these engines. (if you read Jalopnik, they did a story on the company a few weeks ago also). they are moving to a new facility soon, and I may go out to do a story on them and their new space.

A friend of mine's brother owns a company that modifies GTRs into insanely fast machines. I visited the facility a few weeks ago and the sights there were simply awesome. They are getting 1,200 hp out of these engines. (if you read Jalopnik, they did a story on the company a few weeks ago also). they are moving to a new facility soon, and I may go out to do a story on them and their new space.

That would be cool to read and see with pictures of what they are doing. :)

It is cool to see them get that much power....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Fiat is possibly adding another derivative of its Miata-based 124. Autocar has learned from sources that the Italian automaker is working a coupe variant. Unlike the retractable hardtop used on the MX-5 Miata RF, Fiat is keeping it simple by designing a regular coupe. It would also give a bit more differentiation between the 124 and Miata.
      We have a possible idea of where Fiat could go with the 124 coupe by looking at Abarth 124 Rally concept that appears to have a hardtop fitted permanently. Some sources say Fiat could change the design of the rear to better integrate the coupe roofline. 
      Power is currently undecided at the moment. Certain markets could get a 1.4L four-cylinder with 138 horsepower, while others may get the turbocharged 1.4L with 158 horsepower. There is talk about an Abarth model with 178 horsepower and limited-slip differential.
      Autocar says the 124 Coupe could be shown as soon as next year. 
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Fiat is possibly adding another derivative of its Miata-based 124. Autocar has learned from sources that the Italian automaker is working a coupe variant. Unlike the retractable hardtop used on the MX-5 Miata RF, Fiat is keeping it simple by designing a regular coupe. It would also give a bit more differentiation between the 124 and Miata.
      We have a possible idea of where Fiat could go with the 124 coupe by looking at Abarth 124 Rally concept that appears to have a hardtop fitted permanently. Some sources say Fiat could change the design of the rear to better integrate the coupe roofline. 
      Power is currently undecided at the moment. Certain markets could get a 1.4L four-cylinder with 138 horsepower, while others may get the turbocharged 1.4L with 158 horsepower. There is talk about an Abarth model with 178 horsepower and limited-slip differential.
      Autocar says the 124 Coupe could be shown as soon as next year. 
      Source: Autocar
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer
      www.CheersandGears.com

2017 Chevy BOLT Update

Car & Driver did a ride along on a near production BOLT with  Bolt’s chief engineer, Josh Tavel . It was interesting to read that while Tavel stated the BOLT does zero to 60 in 7 seconds, that that drove it said the feel in the butt is that it is faster than that. They also stated that hit feels even faster the the BMW i3. Picture are here of a early run on the assembly line of a Chevy BOLT. These car pictures are our best view of what the production run BOLT will look like and it is looking very nice indeed.
      Some of the other interesting notes is that Josh is an SCCA Spec Racer. As such he had been very focused on making sure the BOLT is dialed in for the best of both worlds, daily driver and performance junkie. The story had the following to say as they got to take the BOLT out and about in the Detroit area.
      At 3600lbs, this compact CUV is what the public wanted when GM did their research, not some slick slice through the air Jelly bean car like Tesla, but a CUV. So this pretty much puts to rest the whole airflow thing, as they did their best while giving the public what it has asked for, a roomy, high seat position CUV.
      Also with 200HP and 266lbs of Torque, the story states that you have a clear choice, put the transmission in D and drive it like any other auto or slip it into L and Drive it normal but enjoy just like the Tesla S a return on regenerative power. What this means is you can get some of the battery recharged driving in the regen mode. Interesting is that Josh says if you drive the full 200+ miles you can get about 40 miles added back into the battery, so then you have a 200+ range plus 40 miles more when driving in L mode using regenerative mode.
      To quote the Story in regards to steering as many here have always talked about the numb feel in various auto's;
      " The electrically assisted rack-and-pinion steering is slack-free on-center, quick to respond, and nicely weighted. Walking that fine line between comfort for civilian drivers and engaging dynamics for enthusiasts is no easy feat, but Tavel deserves credit for balancing the two conflicting mentalities."
      There is plenty more to be said about the auto, an example is that using a DC quick charge, gives you 90 miles of range in 30 min. It is worth clicking the link above to read the story.
      Over all this has made me even more excited about the BOLT and what it can do for the public. Especially that after a 50+ mile drive in the BOLT, they say that having plenty of space for passengers, personal stuff and a highly congenial attitude makes the BOLT a Joy. I do like the BOLT in White as the 19 Pictures show with a decent interior.
      If you want to read just how much the BOLT beats the BMW i3, then read this story. 
      Chevy BOLT stacks against the BMW i3
      Considering this is written by the folks at BMWBlog, they feel the BOLT was designed to give customers the range of a Tesla but focused on the i3 as it's clear CUV competitor.  They also feel that the BOLT is faster than the stated 7 seconds for 0 to 60. They make some other statements and still claim that the i3 is an excellent package for the money. Not sure how they see that as the i3 is 80 miles range compared to the 200+ of the BOLT. Plus looking at the pictures, the BOLT is a superior interior I believe, but then this was written by a BMW fan.

• By William Maley
      Automakers have a number of projects that never see the light of day. But sometimes, a shelved project will be revealed and cause many to wonder 'what if?'

News.com.au reports a new book out next month says Holden was working on a top secret electric supercar that would have been faster than Bugatti Veyron. But this project was canned in 2008 as the global financial crisis began to take hold. The new book - Holden: Our Car - says Holden did the design and engineering work before presenting it to executives in Detroit.

Images from a video touting GM's global design showed a Holden supercar with gullwing doors and profile similar to McLaren 570S. According to sources, the vehicle would pay homage to the The images made their way onto the web before being pulled down. Power would come from two electric motors and be paired with all-wheel drive system. The 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) time would have been 2.3 seconds.

Holden is said to have produced a full-size concept in 2008 and presented it to a GM management conference in Florida a year later. The plan was to sell the vehicle globally as a Cadillac, Chevrolet, Holden, and Opel. Before the plug was pulled, Holden was talking with suppliers about batteries and other components.

To this day, Holden has denied that such a car existed.

Source: News.com.au
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen is facing criminal charges over the diesel emission scandal in the U.S. The Wall Street Journal reports that investigators from the U.S. Justice Department have found evidence of criminal wrongdoing. It is unclear what the evidence is. According to sources, federal prosecutors are still trying to figure out what charges should be brought against Volkswagen.

Sources go on to say that prosecutors and lawyers from Volkswagen have held preliminary discussions about the case. The two parties are trying to reach a settlement before the end of the year. A matter up for debate is whether the Justice Department will seek a guilty plea or a deferred prosecution agreement; a deal with the U.S. Government would aim to dismiss the charges at a later date if the automaker complies to terms of a settlement. Both Toyota and General Motors have gone down this route recently, dealing with safety issues.

Investigators have been reviewing over 1.5 million documents as part of the criminal probe. Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates said back in June the probe involved “multiple individuals.” It is unknown if prosecutors are planning to charge Volkswagen employees over the diesel emission scandal. If so, they would need to be extradited from Germany to have their day in court.

Source: The Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)
  • Who's Online (See full list)