For those who find the Fiat 500 too unwieldly...

1962 Vespa 400  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! A coil per cylinder for extra performance.
    • Jeers! The size of a wet shoebox and as crash worthy as one as well.

1962 Vespa 400

Today we have a very nice Vespa 400 restoration candidate. Sold with NO RESERVE. High bid takes it home- no guessing what the reserve is.

It has been sitting in a barn in Indiana since the late 1970's, when it was driven inside and parked. It has not been touched since and was just moved outside a few days ago.

The car is in very original condition and has had very few repairs or modifications made as best I can tell. It is all stock. Still wearing the original coat of white paint it would appear. It is not missing any major pieces and still has the original spare tire, jack, and lug wrench in the car. The odometer shows 5400 miles which I would believe is original. The wiper arms and a few other small parts have been removed and are in the back of the car.

The body is overall very clean and straight. The driver's side floor pan is showing signs of rust through and the lower door hinge for the suicide doors is broken on both sides and would need to be re-welded. There are a few small dings but no big dents or smashes, the body is in great shape for the age. Every window is in good shape and unbroken, and all of the trim seems to be present and in good condition.

The interior was home to what looked to be about a dozen mice for many years. All of the panels and seat cushion material were turned to animal bedding, but other than that everything looks to be in place and as it should be. Still has the original VESPA keys in the ignition.

The driveline looks untouched as well and seems to be in good overall shape. The engine still turns freely and seems to have compression. All of the original cooling shrouds, accessories, tanks, and so forth are still present and in good shape. Still has the original muffler even. All of the suspension, brakes, and steering assemblies are present and in original shape.

I believe this is the 7th Vespa 400 I have run across over the years and is by far the nicest restoration candidate I have come across. It seems that many times they have been taken apart, engines lost, or worse. Would make for a very nice car once finished.

There are many pictures in the text, take a look and hopefully that will give a better idea of the overall condition.

I have the indiana title for the car from what I believe is the original owner.

I can help assist with shipping or loading as needed, we have a forklift also and can load onto most trucks or trailers. The car is located in Ann Arbor, Michigan which is about 30 minutes north of the Ohio border, 45 minutes West of Detroit, and 4 hours East of Chicago.

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

• 2 weeks later...