Question...

Bimmer325

As some of you may already know, I'm looking to replace the stock 16" six-spoke rims on my IS300 (which aren't in the best shape to begin with) with the more attractive (but still stock) 17" five spoke rims. The replacements in question come in silver, graphite, and chrome finishes. I'm interested in the latter two (the graphite finish in particular looks great with my car's color, charcoal grey). I've always loved the look of the five-spoke IS300 rims, which became standard in '02 (mine's an '01 <_<), as they fit the car perfectly. My question is whether you guys think it'd be worth spending money on rims that're still stock. For some reason, the idea of aftermarket wheels just leaves me cold. Moreover, I've yet to find a set more tasteful or attractive than the rims that Lexus themselves produce. So what does everyone think, is it worth it?

Go with the stock rims. I think they're some of the best-looking five-spoke wheels out there, but I may be biased. As to the three finishes, I prefer the regular old silver. Some people have had the graphite flake off. As for chrome, the concept of adding a heavy coating to a wheel doesn't sit well with me, and I think chome wheels are also a little bit tacky. Since you have a GGP (graphite gray pearl) car, the graphite wheels will probably look the best. 16" wheels were always a no-cost option for the IS300 for those in the snow states. Unfortunately, the two 16" wheels styles Lexus has used weren't very attractive. Handling should improve significantly with the 17" wheels. If you do go with aftermarket wheels, you may want to consider 18".

Go with the stock rims.  I think they're some of the best-looking five-spoke wheels out there, but I may be biased.  As to the three finishes, I prefer the regular old silver.  Some people have had the graphite flake off.  As for chrome, the concept of adding a heavy coating to a wheel doesn't sit well with me, and I think chome wheels are also a little bit tacky.  Since you have a GGP (graphite gray pearl) car, the graphite wheels will probably look the best.

16" wheels were always a no-cost option for the IS300 for those in the snow states.  Unfortunately, the two 16" wheels styles Lexus has used weren't very attractive.  Handling should improve significantly with the 17" wheels.

If you do go with aftermarket wheels, you may want to consider 18".

[post="9370"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks for the reply bobo. I think I'm gonna go ahead with the stock 17" five-spokes. They truly are better-looking and more attractive on the car than any aftermarket accessory I've seen. It's not just us being biased. I'd like to go ahead with the graphite finish, though the idea of having the finish flake off doesn't sit right with me. A used set on eBay had it happen to one rim, though the set I'd be buying would be new. Any idea of what causes such corrosion? I won't hesitate if it's preventable in any way. Thanks.

I've previously read posts on www.is300.net about a few people with the graphite wheels with the finish flaking off. I went back and did a search, but I couldn't find much useful information. Perhaps it's just rock chips. I read one thread about discoloration on the graphite wheels from the 2002 model year due to a production defect. I checked eBay and saw the sets up for bid. Some of those seem worth bidding on, especially when the tires still have some tread on them. I'd imagine a factory fresh set of wheels with tires would cost around $2000.

There are lots of companies that recondition aluminum rims. We use Keystone when we need to replace an aluminum wheel that's been damaged in an accident. They usually look great, can't tell them from new, and they're much cheaper than new OE.