airbags

airbags are a tremendous advancement in car safety, no doubt about it--unless your under 12 and not blah blah

my question...if you wear glasses or smoke what happens then?

i know, im sure yourre better off not going through the windshield but has anybody ever heard of or know what the consequences of either of those things would be?

im not really sure if this is tech, per se...so feel free to move it, but id really like to know. thanks

Doubt either has any effect on airbags as safety devices

well, if you gouge your eyes out, because your glasses broke and went blind or bled to death, that might make you less safe.

same with swallowing a cigarette. they always said smoking will kill you...but like that?

seriously though. does any one know about this?

Well, if you haven't noticed...cigarettes are made of paper and bend easily. You'd prolly just get a burn on your nose. Cigar? Prolly just get shoved into your mouth. Pipe? Yea...don't smoke a pipe. Glasses? Frames might get bent a little, but they shouldn't break since the bags inflate and quickly deflate...so they'd give. Plus, an airbag is better than a hard steering wheel or dash in that case. If you're really worried, though, get contacts or Lasik.

im on the quick response unit back at home and we respond to a couple car accidents a month, and there have been a few cases where someone has been wearing glasses when the airbag hit them, but the actual glass never broke, they just got there frames shoved into their face resulting in some scrapes....nothing to worry about, plus many people have polycarbonate lenses in their frames which do not shatter like plastic lenses do...i have poly in mine.

I once heard a story of a smoking driver burning their face because the chemicals in the cigarette react to whatever chemicals are released by the airbag. Don't know how that works or if the story's even valid, but it's something to note in this discussion.

im on the quick response unit back at home and we respond to a couple car accidents a month, and there have been a few cases where someone has been wearing glasses when the airbag hit them, but the actual glass never broke, they just got there frames shoved into their face resulting in some scrapes....nothing to worry about, plus many people have polycarbonate lenses in their frames which do not shatter like plastic lenses do...i have poly in mine.

thank you...thats what i was looking for. i thought it was a valid question being as you dont hear much about it.

yes, airbags can burn regardless, and seatbelts leave gawdawful marks and bruises. lasik and contacts dont solve sunglasses though.

and of course either is better than the alternative, still its first responders that know better than anyone when it comes to somethings like this.

i know you guys and girls out there get to see it all. thankfully there are people like you to do this work.

thank you...thats what i was looking for.  i thought it was a valid question being as you dont hear much about it.

yes, airbags can burn regardless, and seatbelts leave gawdawful marks and bruises. lasik and contacts dont solve sunglasses though.

and of course either is better than the alternative,  still its first responders that know better than anyone when it comes to somethings like this. 

i know you guys and girls out there get to see it all.  thankfully there are people like you to do this work.

i do what i can, i'm glad the here you appreciate us

Airbags are for the weak!!!!!!!! Lol just kidding. I wish my car had an airbag, especially after I was in an accident, but the car was made before airbags became available on it.

I would think the worst that could happen with glasses is that the lens pops out of the frame and the frame bends, especially since most modern glasses are high-strength plastic instead of glass, so they won't shatter.