Sony Xplod

The '98 Tahoe I bought came with one of these and I hate it!

Lots of questions and no manual to answer them for this non-intuitive thing.

But the main thing I want to know is how to turn off the maddening moving display! That thing is always in my peripheral vision and makes me nuts while driving.

I'll eventually locate a manual for the rest of the crap, but I'd love a shortcut to eliminate the moving display and replace it with a static one.

And, if anyone knows how to eliminate the bleeps when you shut -off the ignition that would be great too.

This thing is very close to being thrown against a wall - really wish that the PO had left the stock unit in place!

I had an older Sony Xplod headunit in my old Sonoma, so I really feel your pain.

If you're looking for a user manual, try to locate a model number somewhere on the receiver then try Sony's website.

As for those annoying ass beeps when you shut the ignition off, I'm afraid you're stuck with that. All Xplod stereos do that and there's no way that I'm aware of to stop it.

If you want my honest opinion, I'd just rip the thing out of there and listen to the wind and exhaust instead. I seriously did that once in the Sonoma because I was so fed up with dealing with the Xplod I had (mine also didn't read CDs very well and would skip over every last pothole and bump). There's a reason why Xplod units are a joke in the realm of car audio.

This is what I found on how to turn off the Sony Xplode beep:

1) Press and hold the select button until the "setup" display appears on the screen.

2) Repeatably press select until "Beep" appears on the screen.

3) Rotate the dial until "Off" appears.

4) Press and hold the "Select" button.

5) The "setup" menu will disappear and the unit will no longer beep.

Yeah well, it looks like I'm stuck with the annoying beeps when cutting the ignition - there's nothing in the menus that lets you shut the damned thing off.

This thing has the worst user-interface I've ever seen.

Hope for Santa to bring you a new head unit. :P