Interactive Review: 2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-Design

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

December 15, 2012

I'm very excited with this week's vehicle at the Cheers & Gears' Detroit Garage since its a Volvo and very special one at that. This happens to be the 2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-Design. Now, the R-Design adds some performance goodies to a normal S60 T6 AWD in the form of some changes to the body giving it a more aggressive look, a R-Design sport chassis, and some performance tweaks to the 3.0L turbocharged six-cylinder engine.

The pricetag on this S60 T6 AWD R-Design is $48,195.00 thanks in part to the S60 Platinum package which adds navigation, upgraded audio system, and a rear camera for $2,700, and the climate package which adds heated seats, an air quality system, and heated windshield nozzles for $700.00.

First impressions are very positive. I like the looks and the interior. The engine moves the S60 at a very rapid pace. The AWD makes sure that power is getting onto the road and keeping the vehicle on there as well.

Couple concerns I have so far with the S60. One: the back window is very small. This isn't helped with the back seat headrests that cause some big blind spots. Two: the gas has two positions. Lightly touch the pedal and you're moving at a normal pace. Touch the pedal like you normally would and you're entering hyperspace. There isn't a smooth increase of acceleration when you press on the pedal. Its either on or really on.

I will have more thoughts on the S60 during this week. In the meantime, if you have any questions about this, drop them below.

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Interior size, can a 6'6" tall person sit in the car upright or would they have be slightly reclined?

Can people really sit in the rear seats?

Fit and Finish of inside and outside, are they keeping up the quality or are their gaps and misalignments?

Do you feel it has improved since the Ford ownership days or gone down and this performance edition is just an exception.

Do you think the gas pedal issue is an actual mechanical issue or a programing issue? Is is drive by wire or actually a real cable to the throttle body?

Based on my last question, is this a DI engine or not?

Idle, is it smooth or does it have a bit of performance roughness to it?

What is the sound of the Exhaust at normal driving and under hard excelleration?

Besides the rear blind spots, can you tell where the corners of the car are or does it slop off and leave you with a vague sense of being there but not really sure where the car corners are?

Interior size, can a 6'6" tall person sit in the car upright or would they have be slightly reclined?

Don't know.

Can people really sit in the rear seats?

If a tall person or someone who likes to sit back, then no. Otherwise, you can fit back there comfortably.

Fit and Finish of inside and outside, are they keeping up the quality or are their gaps and misalignments?

Quality is there, no apparent gaps or misallignments

Do you feel it has improved since the Ford ownership days or gone down and this performance edition is just an exception.

Cannot say on this since I haven't spent a lot of time in Volvos during the Ford ownership.

Do you think the gas pedal issue is an actual mechanical issue or a programming issue? Is is drive by wire or actually a real cable to the throttle body?

Thinking programming and its drive-by-wire.

Based on my last question, is this a DI engine or not?

Idle, is it smooth or does it have a bit of performance roughness to it?

Not a DI. Smooth at idle.

What is the sound of the Exhaust at normal driving and under hard acceleration?

Not noticeable when driving normally.. bit of a growl when accelerating hard.

Besides the rear blind spots, can you tell where the corners of the car are or does it slop off and leave you with a vague sense of being there but not really sure where the car corners are?

I can tell where the front corners are. Rear is somewhat difficult.

that blue is not flattering on this car.

would you drive this or a Regal GS?

I actually like the blue.. Not many others though.

GS and this are two completely different vehicles and have the price tags to prove it. I think I would choose the S60 over the GS, but I need to spend some time in a GS.