Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Chrysler News: Chrysler Forecasts Selling 200,000 9-Speed Transmissions in 2013

14 posts in this topic

William Maley    391

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

January 22, 2013

We know that Chrysler has been readying a new nine-speed transmission to be used in certain models, but we didn't know how many of these gearboxes would be used. According to Bloomberg, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the company expects to sell around 200,000 vehicles equipped with the new nine-speed automatic. The new nine-speed will come in three models: Chrysler's redesigned 200, Dodge's Dart, and Jeep's new Liberty.

The nine-speed transmission is the “future of the front- wheel drive and all-wheel drive world for Chrysler,” Marchionne said to reporters last week.

The nine-speed will first appear in the new Liberty, followed by the 200 and/or Dart.

Source: Bloomberg

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

dfelt    1,769

I wonder how much more MPG they will get on the Jeep. My son has a 2012 model and I wonder what the performance will be in addition to efficiency.

dfelt    1,769
I'm not sure all the gains could be credited to the 9-speed. There will be engine improvements and better weight management as well.

Agreed, the tuning of the total package from engine, tranny, diff to suspension etc all will contribute. I am just interested in how much of a gain they expect from the 9 speed.

ocnblu    733

Wow I have a 2-speed CVT and next thing ya know, Chrysler has a NINE-speed auto coming.

ocnblu    733

CVT sucks donkey appendages.

ocnblu    733

Oh I drove my mother's Cube plenty of times. And my estimation stands pat.

dfelt    1,769

CVT is like classical music. Some you love some you hate and some just leave ya Blah!

I really do see the Engineering aspect of CVT, but there is passion missing in them all. I have driven some rentals that drove fine, some that drove like nothing was under the hood and I could have run faster and some that had engine and just seemed to rev.

I find CVT auto's to be souless commuter cars that suck the life out of you like a Prius.

I will pass on them at this stage, I would rather have a GM 4 spd over a CVT.

dfelt    1,769

WOW, Maxima their sport sedan has gone CVT? That is just sad. But will give it a try when the opportunity comes my way.

Drew Dowdell    4,988
WOW, Maxima their sport sedan has gone CVT? That is just sad. But will give it a try when the opportunity comes my way.

Yup. Check out my review of the 2012 Nissan Maxima I talk about the CVT here. I thought it was a really great setup for that car and once you get over the lack of feeling the shift points, you can really appreciate the performance benefits of the CVT.

NeonLX    40

Rented an '11 Sentra and wound up being very impressed with the performance of the CVT. Kept the engine revs down unless you really needed 'em. Engine loafed at highway speeds, something like 2000 RPM, Very nice cruiser.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Sometimes, you find yourself scratching your head as you struggle to think if any more can be said about a vehicle. The two vehicles seen here, the 2017 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee have been reviewed by me numerous times - Durango has two, while the Grand Cherokee stands at three. Not much has changed on either vehicle since I last reviewed them. This puts me in a bit of quandary: What do I talk about? The answer was to delve into the trims themselves and figure out if they are worth the cash.
      The Grand Cherokee seen here is the top-line Summit. Jeep updated this trim last year with new front end treatment consisting of a new grille and LED fog lights. The exterior changes for the Summit do sharpen up the Grand Cherokee, a design which should be noted that has been around since 2011. One design touch we really like are the set optional 20-inch aluminum wheels as they dress up the Grand Cherokee quite nicely. The larger wheels don’t affect ride quality as the Grand Cherokee’s suspension turns bumps into light ripples. Road and wind noise are kept to very acceptable levels.
      The interior now has the option of the “Signature Leather-Wrapped Interior Package” that brings a leather covering for the dash and center console, and premium leather upholstery for the seats and door panels. My test vehicle came with this package and I am not sure its worth the $4,995. The key reason comes down to the leather used for the seats. I can’t tell the difference between the leather upholstery used for this package and the one used on lesser trims. Aside from this, the Summit retains many of the plus points found on other Grand Cherokees such as a roomy interior, simple infotainment system, and excellent build quality. 
      The Summit begins at $50,495 for two-wheel drive and $53,495 for four-wheel drive. Our test vehicle came to an as-tested price of $60,675 with the leather package, skid plates, and 20-inch wheels. The upside to the Summit is you get most everything as standard such as navigation, premium audio system, sunroof, heated and ventilated front seats, and a power liftgate. Personally, I would skip all of the options as fitted to our test vehicle and get a base Summit.
      Now on to the Durango. This one is the GT which can be best described as the R/T minus the V8. This means you get similar exterior tweaks such as a body color grille surround, black mesh inserts, LED daytime running lights, and 20-inch wheels finished in black. Our model came with the Brass Monkey appearance package which adds brushed bronze wheels and blacked-out badges. This makes for a mean looking crossover that doesn’t break the bank - the Brass Monkey package will only set you back $595. The GT is also quite confident in the bends with minimal body roll and nicely weighted steering. 
      Downsides? The Durango is starting to show its age inside. Various materials and the plain design put the Durango towards the back of the pack of the current crossover crop. Also, the value equation for the Durango can go downward with the number of options you add. The test Durango seen here comes with an as-tested of $49,660 with most the option boxes ticked. Not an absurd amount for a three-row crossover, but the Durango is missing out on features that many models feature such as adaptive cruise control, automatic braking, and compatibility for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
      You may have noticed that I haven’t mentioned the powertrain. That’s because both models feature the same 3.6L Pentastar V6 producing 295 horsepower and paired with an eight-speed automatic. I have written a lot about this powertrain on both models before and my opinion hasn’t changed. The engine offers strong low-end power and minimal NVH levels. The automatic transmission, for the most part, does a decent job of being in the right gear at the right time. Though we found the transmission to be somewhat slow to respond whenever heavy throttle was suddenly applied. Fuel economy for both models landed around 20 mpg.
      Both the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango are still competitive in their respective classes, despite getting up there in age. Just be careful with your option selection as it can make both models very poor values.
      Disclaimer: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Provided the Vehicles, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Dodge
      Model: Durango
      Trim: GT
      Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT with ESS
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,400
      Torque @ RPM: 260 @ 4,000
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,987 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $40,095
      As Tested Price: $49,660 (Includes $1,095 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Group - $2,395
      Rear Entertainment System- $1,995
      Safety/Security and Convenience Group - $1,195
      Second-Row Captain Chairs - $995
      Trailer Tow Group IV - $995
      Brass Monkey Appearance Group - $595
      Second-Row Console - $300
      Make: Jeep
      Model: Grand Cherokee
      Trim: Summit
      Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT with ESS
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,952 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $53,995
      As Tested Price: $60,675 (Includes $995 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Signature Leather-Wrapped Interior Package - $4,995
      Summit California Edition - $995
      Skid Plate Group - $295

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Sometimes, you find yourself scratching your head as you struggle to think if any more can be said about a vehicle. The two vehicles seen here, the 2017 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee have been reviewed by me numerous times - Durango has two, while the Grand Cherokee stands at three. Not much has changed on either vehicle since I last reviewed them. This puts me in a bit of quandary: What do I talk about? The answer was to delve into the trims themselves and figure out if they are worth the cash.
      The Grand Cherokee seen here is the top-line Summit. Jeep updated this trim last year with new front end treatment consisting of a new grille and LED fog lights. The exterior changes for the Summit do sharpen up the Grand Cherokee, a design which should be noted that has been around since 2011. One design touch we really like are the set optional 20-inch aluminum wheels as they dress up the Grand Cherokee quite nicely. The larger wheels don’t affect ride quality as the Grand Cherokee’s suspension turns bumps into light ripples. Road and wind noise are kept to very acceptable levels.
      The interior now has the option of the “Signature Leather-Wrapped Interior Package” that brings a leather covering for the dash and center console, and premium leather upholstery for the seats and door panels. My test vehicle came with this package and I am not sure its worth the $4,995. The key reason comes down to the leather used for the seats. I can’t tell the difference between the leather upholstery used for this package and the one used on lesser trims. Aside from this, the Summit retains many of the plus points found on other Grand Cherokees such as a roomy interior, simple infotainment system, and excellent build quality. 
      The Summit begins at $50,495 for two-wheel drive and $53,495 for four-wheel drive. Our test vehicle came to an as-tested price of $60,675 with the leather package, skid plates, and 20-inch wheels. The upside to the Summit is you get most everything as standard such as navigation, premium audio system, sunroof, heated and ventilated front seats, and a power liftgate. Personally, I would skip all of the options as fitted to our test vehicle and get a base Summit.
      Now on to the Durango. This one is the GT which can be best described as the R/T minus the V8. This means you get similar exterior tweaks such as a body color grille surround, black mesh inserts, LED daytime running lights, and 20-inch wheels finished in black. Our model came with the Brass Monkey appearance package which adds brushed bronze wheels and blacked-out badges. This makes for a mean looking crossover that doesn’t break the bank - the Brass Monkey package will only set you back $595. The GT is also quite confident in the bends with minimal body roll and nicely weighted steering. 
      Downsides? The Durango is starting to show its age inside. Various materials and the plain design put the Durango towards the back of the pack of the current crossover crop. Also, the value equation for the Durango can go downward with the number of options you add. The test Durango seen here comes with an as-tested of $49,660 with most the option boxes ticked. Not an absurd amount for a three-row crossover, but the Durango is missing out on features that many models feature such as adaptive cruise control, automatic braking, and compatibility for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
      You may have noticed that I haven’t mentioned the powertrain. That’s because both models feature the same 3.6L Pentastar V6 producing 295 horsepower and paired with an eight-speed automatic. I have written a lot about this powertrain on both models before and my opinion hasn’t changed. The engine offers strong low-end power and minimal NVH levels. The automatic transmission, for the most part, does a decent job of being in the right gear at the right time. Though we found the transmission to be somewhat slow to respond whenever heavy throttle was suddenly applied. Fuel economy for both models landed around 20 mpg.
      Both the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango are still competitive in their respective classes, despite getting up there in age. Just be careful with your option selection as it can make both models very poor values.
      Disclaimer: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Provided the Vehicles, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Make: Dodge
      Model: Durango
      Trim: GT
      Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT with ESS
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,987 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $40,095
      As Tested Price: $49,660 (Includes $1,095 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Group - $2,395
      Rear Entertainment System- $1,995
      Safety/Security and Convenience Group - $1,195
      Second-Row Captain Chairs - $995
      Trailer Tow Group IV - $995
      Brass Monkey Appearance Group - $595
      Second-Row Console - $300
      Make: Jeep
      Model: Grand Cherokee
      Trim: Summit
      Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT with ESS
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,952 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $53,995
      As Tested Price: $60,675 (Includes $995 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Signature Leather-Wrapped Interior Package - $4,995
      Summit California Edition - $995
      Skid Plate Group - $295
    • By William Maley
      If you want to get your hands on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, be prepared to pony up a huge chunk of cash. When the order books open up on August 10th, the Trackhawk will set you back $86,995 - includes a $1,095 destination charge.
      Jeep's monster features the supercharged 6.2L Hellcat V8 with 707 horsepower and 645 pound-feet of torque. This engine propels the Trackhawk to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and the quarter mile is finished in 11.6 seconds at a speed of 116 mph. Top speed is said to be 180 mph. Power goes through a toughened TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive.
      “The 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk delivers astounding performance numbers, backed by renowned SRT engineering that combines world-class on-road driving dynamics with luxury, refinement and an array of innovative advanced technology,” said Mike Manley, Head of Jeep Brand in a statement.
      “As the most powerful and quickest SUV, there is nothing else like the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk in the market, and with its starting price of $85,900, there is no better value for a high-performance SUV.”
      Standard equipment includes 20-inch titanium-finished wheels, Brembo brakes, adaptive Bilstein dampers, and a limited-slip rear differential.
      Source: Jeep
      Press Release is on Page 2

Jeep® Announces Pricing for 2018 Grand Cherokee Trackhawk: Most Powerful and Quickest SUV Ever
      Grand Cherokee Trackhawk starts at $85,900 U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price Customers can order the new Grand Cherokee Trackhawk on Aug. 10 at their local Jeep® dealer Most powerful SUV ever: supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 engine delivers 707 horsepower and 645 lb.-ft. of torque Quickest SUV ever: 0-60 miles per hour (mph) in 3.5 seconds, quarter mile in 11.6 seconds and top speed of 180 mph Upgraded TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission and driveline components engineered to handle additional torque output New Brembo braking system includes largest-ever front brakes on a Jeep vehicle and delivers 60-0 mph braking performance of 114 feet World-class on-road driving dynamics: five drive-mode Selec-Track system and Bilstein adaptive damping suspension Aggressive, functional exterior appointments include unique quad-tip exhaust and redesigned fascia that optimizes airflow and cooling New standard 20 x 10-inch Titanium-finish wheels expose distinctive yellow Brembo brake calipers 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk will arrive in showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2017 August 8, 2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Injected with an unmatched 707 horsepower – courtesy of an awe-inspiring supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 engine – the most awarded SUV ever and the most capable full-size SUV on the planet has been transformed into the most powerful and quickest SUV ever.
      Built in Detroit at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant, the new 2018 Grand Cherokee Trackhawk will arrive in Jeep® showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2017 with a starting U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $85,900, excluding $1,095 destination. Customers can place orders at their local Jeep dealer beginning Aug. 10.

“The 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk delivers astounding performance numbers, backed by renowned SRT engineering that combines world-class on-road driving dynamics with luxury, refinement and an array of innovative advanced technology,” said Mike Manley, Head of Jeep Brand – FCA Global. “As the most powerful and quickest SUV, there is nothing else like the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk in the market, and with its starting price of $85,900, there is no better value for a high-performance SUV.”

The new benchmark 707-horsepower supercharged engine combines with an upgraded high-torque capacity TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission, world-class on-road driving dynamics and new Brembo brakes to deliver a new level of performance: 0-60 miles per hour (mph) in 3.5 seconds, quarter mile in 11.6 seconds at 116 mph, top speed of 180 mph, 60-0 mph braking distance in 114 feet and .88g capability on the skid pad.

As the most powerful and quickest SUV ever, the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is packed with standard performance features, including:
      Supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 engine that delivers 707 horsepower, 645 lb.-ft. of torque and 3.5-second 0-60 mph times TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission that delivers improved shift response, quality and consistent performance and drivability Jeep Quadra-Trac on-demand four-wheel-drive system, which includes an electronic limited-slip rear differential and a single-speed active transfer case Launch Control that optimizes the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk’s performance by coordinating the engine, transmission, driveline and suspension for a textbook launch and consistent straight-line acceleration Selec-Track system, which uses performance-tuned software to pre-configure and distinguish the five dynamic modes (Auto, Sport, Track, Snow and Tow), enabling drivers to choose a vehicle setting that ideally meets their requirements and ambient conditions 7,200-pound towing capability New high-performance Brembo braking system, with a new distinctive yellow finish, that includes the largest standard front brakes ever offered on a Jeep vehicle and delivers 60-0 mph braking performance of 114 feet One-inch lower ride than non-SRT Grand Cherokee models Sculpted hood with dual heat extractors Omitted fog lights from the Trackhawk’s front fascia to optimize airflow to cooling modules and air induction without compromising the vehicle’s balance “Supercharged” badge on both front doors and a Trackhawk badge on the liftgate that features a Liquid Titanium Chrome outline and Matte Black background New standard 20 x 10-inch Titanium-finish wheels with a Satin Chrome center cap All-new Pirelli 295/45ZR20 Scorpion Verde all-season and new Pirelli P Zero three-season tires with an increased speed rating Unique Gloss Black rear valance that showcases four-inch Black Chrome quad exhaust tips, while new quad exhaust system design provides an exhilarating and unmistakable note during maximum acceleration Driver-focused interior that features premium soft-touch materials, unique Light Black Chrome finishes and carbon fiber spears, and a 7-inch driver information display (DID) instrument cluster with the tachometer in the middle New Uconnect 4 system with 8.4-inch display that features Trackhawk-exclusive Performance Pages that showcase an array of performance timers and gauge readouts Three-spoke steering wheel with a flat-bottom that features a bevy of comfort, convenience and connectivity controls and ergonomically efficient paddle shifters Premium Metal Package that enhances the Trackhawk’s interior with various upscale real metal accents  
      Available options include dual-pane panoramic sunroof, three-season tires, lightweight 20 x 10-inch forged aluminum Low Gloss Black wheels, fully wrapped Signature Leather Interior Package in Black or Black/Dark Ruby Red, 19-speaker Harman Kardon high-performance audio system, dual-screen rear-seat entertainment center with Blu-ray, trailer tow package and Dark Ruby Red seatbelts.

The 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is available in nine exterior colors: Billet Silver, Granite Crystal, Diamond Black, Ivory Tri-coat, Bright White, Velvet Red, Rhino (exclusive), Redline 2 (exclusive) and True Blue.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)