Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Chrysler News: Chrysler Forecasts Selling 200,000 9-Speed Transmissions in 2013

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

January 22, 2013

We know that Chrysler has been readying a new nine-speed transmission to be used in certain models, but we didn't know how many of these gearboxes would be used. According to Bloomberg, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the company expects to sell around 200,000 vehicles equipped with the new nine-speed automatic. The new nine-speed will come in three models: Chrysler's redesigned 200, Dodge's Dart, and Jeep's new Liberty.

The nine-speed transmission is the “future of the front- wheel drive and all-wheel drive world for Chrysler,” Marchionne said to reporters last week.

The nine-speed will first appear in the new Liberty, followed by the 200 and/or Dart.

Source: Bloomberg

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

I wonder how much more MPG they will get on the Jeep. My son has a 2012 model and I wonder what the performance will be in addition to efficiency.

I'm not sure all the gains could be credited to the 9-speed. There will be engine improvements and better weight management as well.

I'm not sure all the gains could be credited to the 9-speed. There will be engine improvements and better weight management as well.

Agreed, the tuning of the total package from engine, tranny, diff to suspension etc all will contribute. I am just interested in how much of a gain they expect from the 9 speed.

Wow I have a 2-speed CVT and next thing ya know, Chrysler has a NINE-speed auto coming.

CVT sucks donkey appendages.

CVT sucks donkey appendages.

Yours does, but many others do not. The Subaru and Nissan CVTs are both quite good.

Oh I drove my mother's Cube plenty of times. And my estimation stands pat.

CVT is like classical music. Some you love some you hate and some just leave ya Blah!

I really do see the Engineering aspect of CVT, but there is passion missing in them all. I have driven some rentals that drove fine, some that drove like nothing was under the hood and I could have run faster and some that had engine and just seemed to rev.

I find CVT auto's to be souless commuter cars that suck the life out of you like a Prius.

I will pass on them at this stage, I would rather have a GM 4 spd over a CVT.

WOW, Maxima their sport sedan has gone CVT? That is just sad. But will give it a try when the opportunity comes my way.

WOW, Maxima their sport sedan has gone CVT? That is just sad. But will give it a try when the opportunity comes my way.

Yup. Check out my review of the 2012 Nissan Maxima I talk about the CVT here. I thought it was a really great setup for that car and once you get over the lack of feeling the shift points, you can really appreciate the performance benefits of the CVT.

Rented an '11 Sentra and wound up being very impressed with the performance of the CVT. Kept the engine revs down unless you really needed 'em. Engine loafed at highway speeds, something like 2000 RPM, Very nice cruiser.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      There will soon be another police vehicle you'll need to keep an eye out for. Today, Dodge announced the Durango Pursuit which will give police departments another choice in the utility segment.
      Power comes from the 5.7L HEMI V8 producing 360 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. This comes paired with an eight-speed automatic and full-time all-wheel drive system. A two-speed transfer case should help out if a chase goes off-road. There are numerous upgrades including stronger brakes, heavy-duty oil cooler and water pump; and larger alternator. Standard equipment includes tri-zone temperature control, eight-way power adjustments for the driver, and trailer sway control.
      “Unofficial testing results at the Michigan State Police 2018 model-year vehicle evaluation event created such a stir among law enforcement agencies that we simply had to find a way to build this vehicle. The Dodge Durango is already known as the Charger of SUVs, so it is only natural that the new Durango Pursuit complements the Charger Pursuit in police fleets across the country,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands, Dodge//SRT, Chrysler and FIAT – FCA North America.
      Police departments will need to be quick on ordering one, as Dodge will only be offering the Durango Pursuit for a limited time.
      Source: Dodge

Dodge Announces Police Pursuit Version of 2018 Durango

May 10, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Dodge is expanding its police vehicle lineup, adding a new Pursuit version of its Dodge Durango.
      “Unofficial testing results at the Michigan State Police 2018 model-year vehicle evaluation event created such a stir among law enforcement agencies that we simply had to find a way to build this vehicle,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands, Dodge//SRT, Chrysler and FIAT – FCA North America. “The Dodge Durango is already known as the Charger of SUVs, so it is only natural that the new Durango Pursuit complements the Charger Pursuit in police fleets across the country.”

The 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit is powered by the legendary 5.7L HEMI® V-8, coupled with a full-time, active all-wheel-drive (AWD) system. This is the same powertrain combination most commonly deployed in the Dodge Charger Pursuit, the top-selling police sedan in the U.S. market. The Durango Pursuit also offers a two-speed transfer case for true low-range off-road capability and incorporates larger, heavy-duty anti-lock brakes that deliver a 60-0 mile per hour (mph) stopping distance of 134 feet.

Other notable standard features of the 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit include:
      5.7L V-8 HEMI with Fuel Saver Technology delivers best-in-class horsepower (360) and torque (390 lb.-ft.) Eight-speed automatic transmission delivers quick shifts and improved fuel economy Rear-wheel-drive-based drivetrain is the foundation for Durango’s outstanding on-road driving performance. Standard AWD further enhances driver confidence by leveraging the SUV’s 50/50 weight distribution Segment’s longest wheelbase (119.8 inches) provides added stability and improved handling Best-in-class 7,200 lb. towing capability 8.1 inches of ground clearance ParkView® rear backup camera with ParkSense® alert Eight-way power adjusting driver seat controls Air conditioning with air filtration Under-vehicle mount for spare tire, maximizing interior cargo space and accessibility Class-exclusive, K-9 friendly Tri-Zone interior temperature control Trailer sway control Spot lamp wiring prep package 220-amp alternator 800 cold cranking amp (CCA) battery Heavy-duty oil cooler and water pump Power locking fuel filler door The new 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit V-8 AWD is available for order for a limited time. For more information, law enforcement agencies should call (800) 999-3533.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      There will soon be another police vehicle you'll need to keep an eye out for. Today, Dodge announced the Durango Pursuit which will give police departments another choice in the utility segment.
      Power comes from the 5.7L HEMI V8 producing 360 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. This comes paired with an eight-speed automatic and full-time all-wheel drive system. A two-speed transfer case should help out if a chase goes off-road. There are numerous upgrades including stronger brakes, heavy-duty oil cooler and water pump; and larger alternator. Standard equipment includes tri-zone temperature control, eight-way power adjustments for the driver, and trailer sway control.
      “Unofficial testing results at the Michigan State Police 2018 model-year vehicle evaluation event created such a stir among law enforcement agencies that we simply had to find a way to build this vehicle. The Dodge Durango is already known as the Charger of SUVs, so it is only natural that the new Durango Pursuit complements the Charger Pursuit in police fleets across the country,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands, Dodge//SRT, Chrysler and FIAT – FCA North America.
      Police departments will need to be quick on ordering one, as Dodge will only be offering the Durango Pursuit for a limited time.
      Source: Dodge

Dodge Announces Police Pursuit Version of 2018 Durango

May 10, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Dodge is expanding its police vehicle lineup, adding a new Pursuit version of its Dodge Durango.
      “Unofficial testing results at the Michigan State Police 2018 model-year vehicle evaluation event created such a stir among law enforcement agencies that we simply had to find a way to build this vehicle,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands, Dodge//SRT, Chrysler and FIAT – FCA North America. “The Dodge Durango is already known as the Charger of SUVs, so it is only natural that the new Durango Pursuit complements the Charger Pursuit in police fleets across the country.”

The 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit is powered by the legendary 5.7L HEMI® V-8, coupled with a full-time, active all-wheel-drive (AWD) system. This is the same powertrain combination most commonly deployed in the Dodge Charger Pursuit, the top-selling police sedan in the U.S. market. The Durango Pursuit also offers a two-speed transfer case for true low-range off-road capability and incorporates larger, heavy-duty anti-lock brakes that deliver a 60-0 mile per hour (mph) stopping distance of 134 feet.

Other notable standard features of the 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit include:
      5.7L V-8 HEMI with Fuel Saver Technology delivers best-in-class horsepower (360) and torque (390 lb.-ft.) Eight-speed automatic transmission delivers quick shifts and improved fuel economy Rear-wheel-drive-based drivetrain is the foundation for Durango’s outstanding on-road driving performance. Standard AWD further enhances driver confidence by leveraging the SUV’s 50/50 weight distribution Segment’s longest wheelbase (119.8 inches) provides added stability and improved handling Best-in-class 7,200 lb. towing capability 8.1 inches of ground clearance ParkView® rear backup camera with ParkSense® alert Eight-way power adjusting driver seat controls Air conditioning with air filtration Under-vehicle mount for spare tire, maximizing interior cargo space and accessibility Class-exclusive, K-9 friendly Tri-Zone interior temperature control Trailer sway control Spot lamp wiring prep package 220-amp alternator 800 cold cranking amp (CCA) battery Heavy-duty oil cooler and water pump Power locking fuel filler door The new 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit V-8 AWD is available for order for a limited time. For more information, law enforcement agencies should call (800) 999-3533.
    • By William Maley
      FCA US Reports 2018 April Sales
      Jeep®  brand reports record April sales, up 20 percent Jeep Wrangler reports highest month of sales ever, up 58 percent  Ram brand notches highest April retail sales ever, up 3 percent May 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 184,149 vehicles, a 5 percent increase compared with sales in April 2017 of 176,176 vehicles.

Overall sales were pushed by the Jeep® brand which reported record sales for April. Retail sales came in at 143,995 vehicles, down only 1 percent despite April having two fewer selling days and one less weekend compared with April 2017. Fleet accounted for 22 percent of total sales.

Jeep Brand
      The Jeep brand total sales rose in April to 82,641 vehicles, eclipsing the record of 82,537 vehicles in April 2016. The Jeep Wrangler once again led the portfolio as the nameplate posted a new monthly sales record of 29,776 vehicles. April was also the second consecutive month of record sales for the Wrangler. Jeep Compass sales more than tripled to 11,521 vehicles.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand sales declined 9 percent to 43,074 vehicles compared with the previous year. However, the brand reported its best April of retail sales ever with 36,560 vehicles sold, outpacing the last record of 35,558 set in April 2017.    

Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales fell 18 percent in April to 14,189 vehicles compared with the same month a year ago. The Chrysler Pacifica minivan posted a 5 percent retail sales increase to 7,864 vehicles.  

Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales rose 4 percent to 40,994 with the Dodge Journey setting a new April record as sales climbed 39 percent to 11,638 vehicles.   

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat vehicles declined 45 percent to 1,404 vehicles. 

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 1,847 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 1,123 vehicle sales followed by Stelvio at 702 vehicles. 

• My Clubs