Thinking about buying a honda...

cletus8269

there are two on criagslist that i am currently considering. One is this

1975 honda cb360t

http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/3603971001.html

the other is this

1976 honda cb750k

http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcd/3589964989.html

i have done some research on the 360t because i am not really familiar with that model. it was only produced a few years and other than there being a recall on them for a cam chain tension defect, they seem pretty sound. with only 3000 miles it seems like a pretty good starter bike. However, the parts (some mechanical) are hard to come by and pretty expensive if needed. The CB750 is pretty much a guys fair weather ride. has 23K miles on it. the plus to it is the parts for the 750 are far more plentiful than the 360. the 360 is really all i need plus more falls in line with my budget, but the 750 is closer, and is something i can grow into. anyone got any first hand experience with either or any two-wheeled advice?

oh, bikes.

whew, you scared me there.

my brother actually has a '71 CL350. neat little bike; it's not fast by any means (can't hit freeway speeds for example; but then why would you ride a bike on the freeway here unless you had a death wish?), but it was built for light offroading and motorcrossing. he's always wrenching on it to fix something though, so the previous owner probably didn't take very good care of it.

I'd go for the 750, myself.

I'd spend a little more and reach for the 750. They're a very flexible bike so should you decide to do a little touring or longer-distance riding, you'll have the comfort and power, as well as a large aftermarket to support you.

Additionally, it could end up being an investment. Already, many of them are being chopped up or 'cafe'd.' There are guys who rode them in the Seventies and are feeling nostalgic that are snapping up good examples like the one in the ad, as well as hipster 20-something's with money that like all things ancient. I'd wager if you were to sell it down the line, you'd get the same amount or even more, providing you keep it in fair condition.

The 750's are also quite forgiving in terms of handling and power. They are a little hefty at just under 500lbs, but the seating position means the weight doesn't impact the ride terribly.

Also, the engine is a breeze to work on. Everything about the powertrain is simple and sensible.

i went up and checked out the 750. it is hefty as you said. they are selling the bike on consignment for the owner. they actually specialize in british bikes. several nortons, bsa's, and triumphs in the showroom, all priced well above the honda. and while i looked at the t140 they had in the showroom and liked how much more nimble feeling it was, the 70's triumphs ubiquitous habbit of "marking its spot" on the floor was present. heheh. i appreciate the advice guys.

Edited by cletus8269

Yea, stay away from their lackluster cars, it will bore you to death.

well yes, generally; but these guys beg to differ:

800px-AcuraNSX-05-cropped.jpg

The only Hondas I've ever truly loved. I do also like S2000's and Integras (and wish Honda would pull their collective head out of their ass and replace them already!), but everything else can GTFO.

Edited by Turbojett

If it's on consignment, I'd wait until it hits around 2K'ish.

Perusing your local Craigslist, I'm turning up newer bikes for only slightly higher prices. Like these two:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcd/3512553941.html

http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcd/3518708544.html

I'm not sure if you're partial to a cruiser but both are within spitting distance of the in terms of price. Unless you're looking for a 'standard,' which is the type of bike the CB 750 is, I'd recommend an import cruiser as their motors are bulletproof, and they have a large aftermarket. They do weigh a little more but the lower centre of gravity makes it less of an issue.

Yea, stay away from their lackluster cars, it will bore you to death.

well yes, generally; but these guys beg to differ:

800px-AcuraNSX-05-cropped.jpg

The only Hondas I've ever truly loved. I do also like S2000's and Integras (and wish Honda would pull their collective head out of their ass and replace them already!), but everything else can GTFO.

Thanks for prooving my Point of Booring, passion less and attempted knock off of Italian auto's. :P Sorry but Godzilla stepped on all these auto's and someone thought it was meant to be sold rather than recycled. :P

say what you will, but the NSX forced Ferrari and Lamborghini to start building cars whose parts don't fall off while you're driving them. And as far as performance, the original Type-R was after all the first production car to crack 8:00 at the Nurburgring.

but yes, if Japanese supercars are the game, I'm Skyline > RX-7 > Supra > NSX.

Edited by Turbojett