Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Industry News: Suzuki Gets Approval From Court Concerning Chapter 11 Bankrpucy Plan

4 posts in this topic

William Maley    394

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 6, 2013

The end is here for Suzuki automobiles in the U.S.

On Thursday, a judge from U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California in Santa Ana approved Suzuki's Chapter 11 reorganization plan. The plan calls for American Suzuki's motorcycle, ATV and marine engine businesses to exit bankruptcy and become part of a new, wholly-owned subsidiary of Suzuki Motor Corp, Suzuki Motor of America. Suzuki's automotive branch will go away after dealer sell off the remaining inventory.

"Today's confirmation is a significant milestone and is one of the last remaining steps in our realignment and restructuring process," said Freddie Reiss, American Suzuki's chief restructuring officer in a statement.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Suzuki

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.comor you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2


Court Approves American Suzuki Motor Corporation's Chapter 11 Plan

BREA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--American Suzuki Motor Corporation (the "Company") today announced that the Honorable Scott C. Clarkson of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California in Santa Ana approved the confirmation of the Company's Chapter 11 Plan, which creditors overwhelmingly accepted. Confirmation of the Plan clears the way for the Company to complete its restructuring process, which is expected to occur on March 31, 2013.

"Today's confirmation is a significant milestone and is one of the last remaining steps in our realignment and restructuring process"

As previously announced, the Plan approved the Company's sale of its Motorcycles/ATV and Marine divisions and Automotive parts and service operation to a newly organized, wholly-owned subsidiary of Suzuki Motor Corporation. The subsidiary will operate in the continental U.S. as Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. and will use the Suzuki products brand name

"Today's confirmation is a significant milestone and is one of the last remaining steps in our realignment and restructuring process," said M. Freddie Reiss, the Company's Chief Restructuring Officer. "During the next few weeks, we will take final steps to implement the Plan, which will allow the Company to sell its Motorcycles/ATV, Marine, Automotive parts and service divisions. This will promote the long-term growth of the Motorcycles/ATV and Marine divisions, as well as providing automotive parts and service through the dealer network."

A copy of the Plan is available at www.omnimgt.com. Additional information regarding Company's business realignment can be found at the following website, www.suzuki.com, or via an information hotline at 1-877-465-4819.

Click here to view the article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfelt    1,782

Sad, if they had only brought product updates sooner and actually focused on select popular ways of using the auto's they probably would still be around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      Airbag manufacturer Takata is at the center of one the largest automotive recalls which affect an estimated 100 million vehicles from two dozen automakers around the world. The airbags in question have inflators that can rupture and send shrapnel flying in the event of a crash. They have been linked to at least 16 deaths and 180 injuries. Now, the next chapter begins as Takata filed for bankruptcy.
      Yesterday, TK Holdings (Takata's U.S. operations) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in Delaware on Sunday with liabilities totaling between $10 billion to $50 billion. The company would file for bankruptcy in Japan today.
      Takata also announced that it would be selling its key assets to Key Safety Systems, a Michigan-based supplier owned by China's Ningbo Joyson Electronic Corp. The purchase will cost Key $1.6 billion.
      At a press conference today in Tokyo, CEO Shigehisa Takada said the company had no choice to sell their assets due to liabilities increasing and finances collapsing.
      "We spent much time on negotiations, it was extremely difficult to reach an agreement with more than 10 carmakers worldwide and a sponsor candidate company," said Takada.
      "If things are left as is, we are aware of risks that we may not able to raise fund and to continue stable supply of products. In light of the management environment we face, the state of negotiations with the sponsor candidate and carmakers, and the external expert committee's opinion, we have decided today to file for bankruptcy protection."
      Takata attorney Nobuaki Kobayashi said the total amount of liabilities was still unknown and the company is in talks with automakers to figure out the worldwide cost. According to Automotive News, analysts put potential liabilities as high as $10 billion for ongoing recalls, penalties and settlements. A report from Tokyo Shoko Research Ltd., puts Takata total liabilities at 1.7 trillion yen (about $15 billion).
      Back in February, Takata pleaded guilty to wire fraud charges in the U.S. for withholding key information about the defects and manipulating test data. 
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Airbag manufacturer Takata is at the center of one the largest automotive recalls which affect an estimated 100 million vehicles from two dozen automakers around the world. The airbags in question have inflators that can rupture and send shrapnel flying in the event of a crash. They have been linked to at least 16 deaths and 180 injuries. Now, the next chapter begins as Takata filed for bankruptcy.
      Yesterday, TK Holdings (Takata's U.S. operations) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in Delaware on Sunday with liabilities totaling between $10 billion to $50 billion. The company would file for bankruptcy in Japan today.
      Takata also announced that it would be selling its key assets to Key Safety Systems, a Michigan-based supplier owned by China's Ningbo Joyson Electronic Corp. The purchase will cost Key $1.6 billion.
      At a press conference today in Tokyo, CEO Shigehisa Takada said the company had no choice to sell their assets due to liabilities increasing and finances collapsing.
      "We spent much time on negotiations, it was extremely difficult to reach an agreement with more than 10 carmakers worldwide and a sponsor candidate company," said Takada.
      "If things are left as is, we are aware of risks that we may not able to raise fund and to continue stable supply of products. In light of the management environment we face, the state of negotiations with the sponsor candidate and carmakers, and the external expert committee's opinion, we have decided today to file for bankruptcy protection."
      Takata attorney Nobuaki Kobayashi said the total amount of liabilities was still unknown and the company is in talks with automakers to figure out the worldwide cost. According to Automotive News, analysts put potential liabilities as high as $10 billion for ongoing recalls, penalties and settlements. A report from Tokyo Shoko Research Ltd., puts Takata total liabilities at 1.7 trillion yen (about $15 billion).
      Back in February, Takata pleaded guilty to wire fraud charges in the U.S. for withholding key information about the defects and manipulating test data. 
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      One of the groups that haven't been able to take any legal action against General Motors over the faulty ignition switch were those who bought the affected vehicles before the company announced bankruptcy in 2009. Last year, a bankruptcy judge said that New GM was shielded from liabiliites over the actions taken by Old GM.
       
      But today, the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan reversed that decision. In the ruling, the court stated that New GM must face some of the claims from owners that arose from their actions before their bankruptcy.
       
      “We are reviewing the ruling and its impact. Even if some claims are ultimately allowed to proceed, the plaintiffs must still prove their cases," said GM spokesman Jim Cain in an email to the Wall Street Journal.
       
      This decision could expose GM to additional costs as it tries to move away from this mess. According to the ruling, the protection given to GM shielded them from up to $10 billion of liability claims.
       
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      William Maley
      Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com
      December 7, 2013
      The Suzuki Kizashi, a model that was loved by many automotive writers and journalists (your's truly included), but never made a mark on consumers, will not get a second chance. According to Drive.com.au, Suzuki is unlikely to develop a replacement model.
      “That’s my headache. Kizashi was a very unlucky car,” said Suzuki’s Australian managing director Masaaki Kato.
      “We had so many arguments about the question: how to handle Kizashi. At that time, frankly speaking, we should not have introduced the car into the market in 2009. But you see, we made a big investment to develop this car… after heavy and hard discussion, we decided to introduce this Kizashi.”
      Aside from the poor timing of the launch, the Kizashi also had problems with poor brand recognition, and being in-between a compact and midsize sedan.
      Kato also revealed that Suzuki was working on turbocharged and V6 versions, along with a wagon before the company scrapped them due to the poor sales.
      Source: Drive.com.au
      William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.
    • By William Maley
      William Maley
      Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com
      December 7, 2013
      The Suzuki Kizashi, a model that was loved by many automotive writers and journalists (your's truly included), but never made a mark on consumers, will not get a second chance. According to Drive.com.au, Suzuki is unlikely to develop a replacement model.
      “That’s my headache. Kizashi was a very unlucky car,” said Suzuki’s Australian managing director Masaaki Kato.
      “We had so many arguments about the question: how to handle Kizashi. At that time, frankly speaking, we should not have introduced the car into the market in 2009. But you see, we made a big investment to develop this car… after heavy and hard discussion, we decided to introduce this Kizashi.”
      Aside from the poor timing of the launch, the Kizashi also had problems with poor brand recognition, and being in-between a compact and midsize sedan.
      Kato also revealed that Suzuki was working on turbocharged and V6 versions, along with a wagon before the company scrapped them due to the poor sales.
      Source: Drive.com.au
      William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.
      Click here to view the article
  • My Clubs

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online