Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Unexpected good deal?

Sure, it may not be best in class, but the 200 Sedan is a LOT of car for the money.

V6 Pentastar, 18" wheels, Leather, heated seats, remote start, S-Trim, Uconnect with 6.5" screen/Nav/20Gig HD

MSRP - $26,470

After Incentives, $21,333

I'd rather have a better car with less equipment than a worse car with tons of options. And in the case of the 200, it's arguably the worst car in its class, and the equipment you're getting isn't very valuable.

S-Trim consists of black paint on the grill, headlights, and wheels (costs Chrysler $10 in paint, maybe); embroidery on the front headrests ($10); silver stitching instead of black ($5); perforated steering wheel leather instead of smooth ($10); and a red "S" badge on the trunklid ($3). It may have leather, but it's very cheap leather that will show creases and wrinkles after one year. Best Buy sells remote start for $100, and UConnect navigation is slow.

If I had my heart set on a 200, I'd save $4,500 and get this Touring S four-banger instead: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Touring-New-2-4L-CD-BLACK-PREMIUM-CLOTH-BUCKET-SEATS-Front-Wheel-Drive-ABS-A-C-/160872415575?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2574be4157#ht_7421wt_1085

I've not had a problem with the UConnect in the 300c... is it that different in the 200? The S-Trim starts becoming a requirement when you start adding other options (at least according to the Chrysler website)... not something that I am actively seeking though.

But I'm looking at it this way... $21k for more options than I could get in a base Verano and in a Verano similarly equipped it is about a $7k - $8k difference.... plus... Pentastar.

That is always the classic dilemma. An older, less glamorous, but well equipped subsidized car, or a newer model with more panache.

Chrysler did a masterful job of turning a lemon into lemonade with the Avenger and 200.

One other thing this brings up is the big price hike in smaller cars, due sure to more content. But this is a perfect example of how there is downward pressure for compact pricing when you get an opportunity to option up a midsizer for little more. Really, a Verano turbo would have a bit more go, but less space and maybe a few more lux gadgets. Look at how much more you'd spend.

I do think the Pentastar may be the item that would tip the scales if you want some go. I don't recall this car having crazy 0-60 though, even with the penta.

I wonder if by now the used Regal GS's are approaching that 25k price point.

Edited by regfootball

Still the bargain will sell to those looking at only the bottom line of how much I can get for how little. Personally this is a car for those under 6' tall as I tried to fit into it. I would never consider it otherwise.