Uncle Bob has a New Book Icons and Idiots

I got this book last week and have read some jumping around in it but still have some chapters to go. As with his two first books he is pretty straight forward and honest with his feelings and calls here. Like stated it is not a hatchet job as he tells the good and bad on each just as he as done on himself in past books.

I would recommend this book as it gives some in site not seen with some of the auto company players and the games played behind closed doors. It is a good reminder that things are not so cut and dry or as simple as we like to think here on the web. Personalities play a big roll in management and some of these folks hide it well or you just never see what all roles they play.

I would love to go a dinner with Bob and just sit back and hear some of the stories of his dealings with all the companies he has worked for.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2013/07/icons-idiots-and-bob-lutz/

Edited by hyperv6

Very cool, will have to check it out. Look forward to hearing what you think once your done reading.

I did skip to the back and likes what he has to say about Rick Wagoner. To me it was the take I had as I think he was a lot better than given credit. He was just made the captain after the stern broke off. Bob said that the Obama people often get the credit for the Cruze, Sonic, Spark and other new GM models but Rick is the one who set them in motion.

I would agree with you that usually the last captain of the ship while being a solid captain ends up taking the blame for anything that went wrong and is ignored for those things that went right. Good to hear that the record is being set straight.

I only have two chapters left and would recommend this book to anyone who what's to see and here how some of the great industry icons acted and performed. .

Lutz tells the stories good and bad on each. He tells of what he learned from them, what drove him crazy and how each added to how he worked in the industry. Even the most crazy leaders taught him valuable things he used through his career.

He also covers how some of them got the best of him and his own mistakes. This is a Lutz POV book but he even spills his own mistakes along with a healthy dose of what he did right too with no surprise.

Bob also note factors of personal habits and dress of everyone. Some of it I believe is his sense of style coming through but also to point out how your presentation can help or hurt depending on who you are.

The Red Polling Chapter is a great one for explaining how much of a pain in the ass a bean counter is. But he also teaches how he learned the value of holding the line. His example was a investment In a new Ford that the staff said needed $1.1 billion in investment. Bob held the line as he was told and step by step it went from we can not do it for less to getting it down to $407 million. The staff became more creative and made the car as well as it would have been for the larger investment. While Bob tells how he held the line here he also points out that he would gladly spend $50 more a car to make it better vs. doing incentives of $2000 to unload a poor car. It is a game of give and take and he shows how both sides need each other and each one alone would crash and burn.

I would recommend this read and it will make thing more clear that you see on why thing go the way they do.

Another perspective I have from the book.

I can see why Bob was never made a head of an automaker. His bluntness hurt him as well as some of those over him feared him as often he was the one who had more of a clue. He did have many flaws and a lot to learn as he well points out in the book. But he rocked the boat so many times that it really held him back. Often when he was right it only made things worse.

The chapter on BMW shows where he really learned a lot as he got snookered well by the German Baron.

The book really points out how much automakers need a balance of bean counters and car guys that can work with each other. Alone each group an sink a company together working as one they can take one to the top.

It's good so far..up into the Chrysler era now. The chapters on Phil Caldwell and Red Poling at Ford were pretty funny..

Caldwell's ego was something else.

The Polling chapter really teaches a lesson on fiscal responsibility by either holding the ling too hard on the budget or not holding it enough. Bob make great examples of each side.

I liked when he told Red he would rather spend $50 more a car vs. paying out high incentives to get people to buy them.

• Agree 1