Sign in to follow this  
capriceman

Nitrogen filled tires?

13 posts in this topic

A shop nearby uses Nitrogen. . . reason is that it doesnt expand and contract as much as regular air. . . hence the better fuel mileage from not have to worry about tire pressures changing by the outside air temperature changing from season to season.

Ive been filling my tires with nitrogen for about 3 years now, I never notice any tires low on air.

A shop nearby uses Nitrogen. . .  reason is that it doesnt expand and contract as much as regular air. . .  hence the better fuel mileage from not have to worry about tire pressures changing by the outside air temperature changing from season to season.

Ive been filling my tires with nitrogen for about 3 years now, I never notice any tires low on air.

I wouldn't think there'd be any difference, especially as normal air is mostly nitrogen anyway.

I wouldn't think there'd be any difference, especially as normal air is mostly nitrogen anyway.

Having checked my thermodynamics textbook, there is only a minor difference in gas properties. Air, carbon monoxide and nitrogen (N2) have similar critical temperatures and pressures, and similar gas constants. The difference in tire performance is more likely to be influenced by the amount of gas used than the type.

Nitrogen is a very dry, stable non-reactive gas so that being for a performance wise it is very good because the pressure will remain more stable unlike plain out air that has moisture.

It's the moisture in air that effects the expansion.

Having checked my thermodynamics textbook

Good ole Thermo. . . changed the way I look at everything! Esspecially the engine.

vintage pseudo-production domestic.

Kno what- nevermind, it's so obscure that the explaination of the answer is likely the only thing that would take longer than the guessing.

And the answer is: Mohs.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this