Fuel Economy Computer Chip

Everybody knows that all these damn cars have computer chips that control every aspect of their operation. Now that gas is going to remain around $3.00 per gallon for regular, is there a replacement computer chip to maximize fuel economy? I have heard that there are performance chips out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, see the idea of having a computer "chip" for your car comes from the 1st generation PCMs where you had a PROM chip that stored all of your cars vehicle-specific needs on it, so when you ever had to replace the PCM you swapped PROMs. Now that vehicles are OBD-II, there IS NO CHIP, you have to have the PCM "flashed", or reprogrammed. Now some manufacturers do offer updated PROM chips for first-gen cars that have OBD-I, and some do offer updates for your ride if you have an OBD-II vehicle that requires the compter to be reflashed. And most of the time, there won't be any increase in gas mileage or anything like that, just programming fixes that the manufacturer has run across over time and released updates for.

Please don't mess with after-market stuff on a new car while it's within its warranty period, which is now 4 years for Buicks over other GM products. I doubt that the cost will be offset by any incremental gains in fuel mileage. Furthermore, it may invalidate your warranty.

Just drive with a light foot and do all the rights to maximize fuel mileage on your own. I, too, am quite miffed with the price of gas. Oscillations from $ 2.30 to $ 3.00 like it's no big deal seem awfully artificial.

If you are getting the 28 to 30 mpg on the freeway in this type of car, you're doing well. Enjoy the great Buick ride with the decent gas mileage that comes with it!