Mercedez Benz News Rumorpile: Mercedes-AMG Considers A Panamera Competitor

Mercedes-Benz is very jealous of Porsche's Panamera. So much that their performance arm - Mercedes-AMG - wants a competitor of their own.

German publication AutoBild reports that Mercedes-AMG is beginning to work on sedan - possibly named GT4. The sedan will be based on the next-generation CLS-Class and will be designed with the shape of the AMG GT coupe. Power will come from a twin-turbo V8 with 500 horsepower for the standard model and 600 horsepower the S model.

AutoBild says we could possibly this sedan in 2019, a year after the next-generation CLS goes on sale.

Source: AutoBild

View full article

We'll this will be interesting as it will give Cadillac another whale to hunt and pound into the ground.

Interesting that the first test drive is in on the ATS-V and while they said it was not perfect, it was a perfect balance between the precision of BMW M3 and the unrefined muscle car roar of the C63 AMG to pound them both.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2016-cadillac-ats-v-first-drive-of-caddys-war-117428265087.html

Have to say the videos of the ATS-V are inspiring and clearly this writer hit the nail on the head with the following quote "Cadillac has been producing some stellar performance cars over the past few years, but outside our geeky gearhead walls, the general consensus — rather unfairly — is that Cadillac's are still for old, withered gentleman with hips that beep every time they go through airport security.

It remains a long road, then, to educate the uneducated, and it’s cars like the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V that must turn the tide."

Cadillac is on the right road to show that MB and BMW are now the Old Mans Cars and Cadillac is the true driving machine!

I am not really sure where they are going with this, because the CLS uses the E-class chassis, which moving forward will be on the MRA platform that the C-class and future GLC use.  They'll have a CLS63 which is about a $100k car, that already sort of competes with the Panamera.

The S-class has its own platform, and even though it is a luxury car, not a sports car, it still has the muscle to match up with a Panamera.  The S-class already outsells the Panamera easily.

The only way to differentiate would be to take the AMG GT and make it a 4-door, because that car is 97% aluminum and very light, but I don't think anyone wants a 4 door sports car, no one bought the Aston Martin Rapide.

I don't see the point of the GLC coupe either, but dopes will buy crossovers no matter what, so I guess we are getting it.

They should just let the S-class take care of the Panamera.  The S-class is so good, I don't think even Mercedes could build a car that competes with it.

I don't see the point of the GLC coupe either, but dopes will buy crossovers no matter what, so I guess we are getting it.

They should just let the S-class take care of the Panamera.  The S-class is so good, I don't think even Mercedes could build a car that competes with it.

But yet you have problem with FWD SRX, which is selling more than the fancied Germans and bringing dope to GM. ;)