Chevrolet News:2016 Chevrolet Suburban Updates

Good new for Chevrolet Suburban fans. Back in March we reported that a Chevrolet Suburban HD would be available for the 2016 model year, but then later found that the Suburban HD would only be available for commercial and government Fleets.

The commercial and government fleet version would come equipped with the venerable 5.3 liter V8 and some upgraded hardware.

Now we can update you with some new information. The GM order guides for the Suburban just went live and now we can see that while there is still the Government and Fleet version, there is also now a 2016 Suburban 3500HD listed. There is no indication in the order guide as to if the 3500HD will be available to only fleets or if it will be available to retail customers as well. We have e-mailed a contact from GM for clarification and will update you when we receive a reply.

The 3500HD appears to be available in four-wheel drive, however the guide is somewhat ambiguous on this point. It will come equipped with the familiar 6.0 liter V8 with variable valve timing as seen in the 2015 Silverado. Expect output to be the same at 360 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 380 lb-ft of torque at 4200 rpm as in the Silverado. Power is routed through a 2-speed transfer case which includes a neutral setting for dingy mode. All Suburban 3500HDs will come with the Z85 suspension package that includes automatic rear load leveler.

The 3500HD's GVWR shows as 11,000lbs.

New for the 2016 Suburban 1500 will be an optional Lane Keep Assist system available on LT and LTZ models. Lane Keep Assist detects when the driver is unintentionally drifting out of the lane and will actively turn the wheel to correct the vehicle's course. The system will only work between 37 mph and 112 mph. Lane Keep Assist does not appear to be offered in any trim on the 3500 models.

LS buyers can gain these features by selecting the Enhanced Driver Alert package that includes Forward Collision Alert, Lane Keep Assist, Intellibeam Automatic High-Beams, and Power Adjustable Pedals.

LTZ Suburbans gain an available 8-inch diagonal, re-configurable driver information center similar to that found in the 2015 GMC Sierra Denali and 2015 GMC Yukon Denali. Naturally, the display itself will be re-branded and likely reconfigured from the GMC version.

No official word yet on when the 2016 Suburban 3500HD will go on sale, but we expect to see it later in 2015.

Source: GM Online Order Guide

View full article

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So as a member of my local fire department I have access to different fire service news outlets... well Fire Apparatus & Emergency Equipment magazine just featured an article on the 2017 Chevrolet Suburban 3500HD for police and fire usage:

http://www.fireapparatusmagazine.com/articles/pt/2016/07/chevrolet-expands-suburban-3500hd-for-police-fire.html?cmpid=EnlApparatusJuly132016&eid=328758714&bid=1462337

As the captain of my station's Fire Police unit, this interests me as I will be tasked with selecting a replacement in 2018 or 2019 for our current traffic utility vehicle, a 2006 Ford F350 Super Duty XL Crew Cab SRW utility body truck.  My lieutenant and I have been talking about going back to a SUV for our next vehicle, though the fire chief has also mentioned he likes vans too.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74