Wings4Life(BANNED)

GM Eyed U.S. From Inception of ‘Whisper Diesel’

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-technology/gm-eyed-us-inception-whisper-diesel

DETROIT – When the second-generation Chevrolet Cruze turbodiesel comes to market in the U.S. in 2017, the engine nicknamed “whisper diesel” will have at least one distinct advantage over its predecessor: American input.

“Our requirements here (in the U.S.) pushed it a lot,” says Mike Siegrist, assistant chief engineer, Chevy Cruze turbodiesel. “The fact that we are going to market this engine here in a Chevy Cruze helped to make it as quiet as it is.”

General Motors’ all-new 1.6L turbodiesel earned plaudits from the European motoring press shortly after it began rolling out last year in Opel products such as the Mokka small CUV. German journalists call it the “flüster diesel,” or whisper diesel, for its uncharacteristically muted noise and vibration qualities.

Europeans over the years have become accustomed to diesel clatter, mostly a result of the engine’s high-pressure fuel injectors, because that’s the region’s dominant, and cheapest, fuel. However, U.S. drivers, long bred on quiet, smooth-running gasoline V-6s and V-8s, are generally much less tolerant of diesel NVH. It’s a big reason the first diesel experiment in the U.S. in the early 1980s failed.

And while the technology has grown more civilized on both sides of the Atlantic over the years, diesel feedback remains unmistakable and coupled with a price premium of some $2,000 over a comparably equipped car with a gasoline engine, it kills the deal for most Americans.

Uh... Ram's take rate for their less-advanced half-ton diesel remains about one in six.

I'm sorry that diesel doesn't fit your PR agenda. Nevertheless, it is a viable option that GM and Mopar see fit to capitalize on.

And capitalize they will.

This will be an exciting engine that will shock most people and should help sales of Diesels. Like the Duramax and how nice and Quiet it is, I agree that in auto's the engine needs to be quiet and in trucks you can accept more noise but that does not mean it is any less powerful. Just look at the faithful who love the quiet Duramax in comparison to the solid Cummins or Powerstroke.

This will be an exciting engine that will shock most people and should help sales of Diesels. Like the Duramax and how nice and Quiet it is, I agree that in auto's the engine needs to be quiet and in trucks you can accept more noise but that does not mean it is any less powerful. Just look at the faithful who love the quiet Duramax in comparison to the solid Cummins or Powerstroke.

One has to wonder just how much improvement one can do with a take rate that is only 3%.  I mean, they could double that, and it would still be very low.

Volkswagen sells 25% to 30% of each car line with a diesel under the hood.... that's a pretty great take rate and I'm sure Chevy wants a slice of that.

Cadillac is going to offer a range of diesels in its cars too.

• Upvote 1

In situations where you are doing a lot of long hauls a diesel makes perfect sense. As hybrids and electrics gain more battery range they probably make more sense for many short runs or urban areas. But diesel tech is too good these days to overlook completely.

Good.

...so I hear this whisper diesel is really awesome.

Actually I didn't hear it 'cause, hey, WHISPER diesel.

HEY-oh

Edited by El Kabong

There is no Diesel in the world that you don't know is a Diesel, especially under load.

Idle sound of Diesel is mitigated with multi injection, little more. 

Whisper sounds pretty fluffy to me.

Look, I'm sorry that Ford is missing out on sales of almost anything profitable diesel powered vehicles.

But that doesn't mean anyone else has to :)

Not sure how you can brush off any sales gain and dismiss sales drops in high-profit segments elsewhere...

"Ah wunted thet thar 'ARN block vee six becuz thuh salezmin sed it wuz the BIST way fer me to git mahlige from ma ALOOMINUM truck" :P

• Upvote 1

Charming. Great contribution and par for you.

Anyway, the latest crop of injectors will benefit from much quicker injection pulses, allowing for true multistage pulsing with adequate flow rates to soften the violent high compression ignition to multi-compression ignition.  Currently they are restricted to idle and slightly above due obviously from the quicker rpms and less time allowed between them.  But I would be surprised if the latest gen are ready for prime time in 2017.  Perhaps they are.  My Diesel involvement is minimal, but I do try to keep up with the tech papers out regularly.  Regardless, faster injectors will benefit all, including DI.

My Diesel involvement is minimal

...and yet you posted an article that was dismissive of the technology.

Stuff like this is why we can't have nice things around here anymore :(

• Upvote 1

My Diesel involvement is minimal

...and yet you posted an article that was dismissive of the technology.

Stuff like this is why we can't have nice things around here anymore :(

I posted an article that seemed very positive about the new Diesel coming from Europe.

Perhaps if you read it, you could.......oh never mind.

And what was that about nice things.

"Europeans over the years have become accustomed to diesel clatter, mostly a result of the engine’s high-pressure fuel injectors, because that’s the region’s dominant, and cheapest, fuel. However, U.S. drivers, long bred on quiet, smooth-running gasoline V-6s and V-8s, are generally much less tolerant of diesel NVH. It’s a big reason the first diesel experiment in the U.S. in the early 1980s failed.

"And while the technology has grown more civilized on both sides of the Atlantic over the years, diesel feedback remains unmistakable and coupled with a price premium of some $2,000 over a comparably equipped car with a gasoline engine, it kills the deal for most Americans."

Yup, dissing Euro tastes in NVH and ignoring the retained value over initial price premium.

You sure know how to pick 'em :(

From the same article:

“This (1.6L) is much quieter,” he says, comparing it to the first-generation Cruze turbodiesel. “It will set the standard for noise and vibration in the industry when it comes to the U.S. When you drive this vehicle, it is transparent.”

That’s high praise for the newcomer, because GM’s first-gen, 2.0L turbodiesel won a 2014Ward’s 10 Best Engines award in the Cruze. WardsAuto editors observed some NVH at low speeds, but found it quieter than its German counterparts and doted over its torquey performance and fuel economy that reached 46.7 mpg (5.0 L/100 km) during one long-distance test.

yeah, and you sure can pick them apart.

Try again, bong.

Ok.

...so you just cherry-picked the negative stuff for your OE.

Well, THAT makes it better, doesn't it?

:D :D :D

I picked the first few paragraphs.

Again, perhaps you should read the article before ruining threads.

Still trying to see how "deal killer" is a phrase you'd have in a positive article on turbodiesel engines.

Yup yup yup

Yeah, you really should read it.

That was just a comparative reference for American tastes for Diesel, which is obviously low compared to Europe.

You really have nothing here.

yupyup

So.

The article's title reads "GM Eyed US From Inception of Whisper Diesel," then concludes that it won't succeed in the US, which leads you to call it a positive piece.

There's an Advil moment, right there :(

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook