UnOfficial State Auto

David

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

UnOfficial State Auto

In spending time looking over stories in Popular Mechanics, I came across their story on what was the top selling auto in each state or better known as the UnOfficial State Auto.

Popular Mechanics Story Link

Some I could easily see why the auto was a top seller in comparison to the state and what the state is known for from a gross product producing standpoint. Others clearly surprised me and some have happened truly due to special interest groups and the politicians eating out of those interest groups hands.

It is a well known fact that the High Tech Millionaires of Washington state are focused on making everyone drive an Electric auto. Tesla and the less than pleasing to the eye BMW i3 are huge sellars here along with the ugly Nissan Leaf. Yes my personal opinion is that Tesla is the best looking of these 3 EV's. I have high hopes for the Chevy Bolt which is highly pre-sold here already.

Per the Story I quote the Washington state finding:

"In Washington, the Nissan Leaf sells at 407 percent of the national average. In addition, three electric vehicles, including the Nissan Leaf, BMW i3 and Tesla Model S, each sell at a rate more than twice their national rates. This is likely because in Washington, all electric vehicles are exempt from state motor vehicle sales tax and use tax."

I want to also point out that the state right now pretty much pays for your home charger also along with the second lowest electrical rate in the nation at only 9.38 cents per kilowatthour. Somehow Louisiana comes in at 9.27 cents per kilowatthour for the lowest electrical cost in the nation.

Price chart here from EIA.

I will say I was also surprised by one state, Indiana where the Buick Encore, an outstanding compact CUV sells at a 249% above the nation average and a big surprise is the world of Subaru that sells triple digits on their whole product line above the national average in Alaska.

So check out the story and post your thoughts on your state unofficial auto.