• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Audi News: Rumorpile: Audi's Latest V8 Could Be Its Last

Audi is in the process introducing the next-generation V8 that will be used in their models, along with Bentley and Porsche. We've already gotten a glimpse of the diesel version that powers the SQ7 and before too long, we might see the gas version. But Autocar reports that this V8 could be Audi's last.

A source tells the British publication that the German automaker is moving a fair amount of their investments over to electric and hybrid vehicle development. This change would likely mean there isn't enough money to develop another V8 engine in the future.

“By 2025, the plan of Audi management is to have between 25% and 35% of Audi’s output as battery-electric vehicles," said the source.

“It would be very difficult to justify the huge investment in another new V8 because of the cost of developing electric drivetrains and battery packs. You have to ask what is the best use of investment money.”

Source: Autocar

View full article

Sad that the V8 will die in most places, even the V6 could die in a lot of applications by 2025.  Audi/Porsche/Bentley/Lambo though I would think would have use for a V8, that is weak on their part to give up on it.  Most business for Mercedes though.  I think the V8 will still have a place for high end sports cars, like $100k+ territory, even though I think electric will get more and more popular and engine downsizing will continue.

Based on all the proof of just how fast electric is and the increase in MPG for the right combo of Hybrid, I can see the V8 being gone from the majority of auto's by 2020-2022.

I also think Diesel will only survive in select markets and select types of auto's such as trucks/vans here in the US and select trucks/vans/cars in europe. I see most of Asia going away from Diesel and hybrid / electric in everything but commercial trucks.

Days are numbered on diesel I believe. 

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      When we drove the Mazda CX-5 towards the end of last year, we found ourselves wishing that either the long-delayed turbodiesel or possibly the 2.5: turbo-four from the CX-9 would grace the engine. The 2.5L four-cylinder does ok around town, but really struggles when more speed is needed. It seems our wish could be coming true.
      The Truth About Cars obtained a certification document from the California Air Resources Board for the turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder. In the document, it lists the 2019 CX-9 and CX-5 offering this engine. It would give the CX-5 a nice power boost as the turbo-four produces 227 horsepower (250 horsepower on premium fuel) and 310 pound-feet of torque.
      Mazda declined to comment when asked about the document.
      We're guessing that Mazda could debut the turbo engine in the CX-5 at the LA Auto Show in November.
      Source: The Truth About Cars

View full article
    • By William Maley
      When we drove the Mazda CX-5 towards the end of last year, we found ourselves wishing that either the long-delayed turbodiesel or possibly the 2.5: turbo-four from the CX-9 would grace the engine. The 2.5L four-cylinder does ok around town, but really struggles when more speed is needed. It seems our wish could be coming true.
      The Truth About Cars obtained a certification document from the California Air Resources Board for the turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder. In the document, it lists the 2019 CX-9 and CX-5 offering this engine. It would give the CX-5 a nice power boost as the turbo-four produces 227 horsepower (250 horsepower on premium fuel) and 310 pound-feet of torque.
      Mazda declined to comment when asked about the document.
      We're guessing that Mazda could debut the turbo engine in the CX-5 at the LA Auto Show in November.
      Source: The Truth About Cars
    • By William Maley
      Lincoln has been slowing transitioning their nomenclature system from three letter (MK_) to actual names - MKX to Nautilus for example. The next-generation MKC, due in 2020 as a 2021 model will see its name change to Corsair.
      Automotive News reports the name was announced last month to Ford and Lincoln dealers at a conference held in Orlando according to those who attended the meeting. Corsair, the name of a pirate ship and a World War II fighter plane first came to light last year when Ford filed a trademark on. The name was last used on a badge engineered model between Ford and Nissan for Australia.
      Sources at Ford said the name isn't final and could change before the model goes into production.
      Dealers at the meeting were also shown the next-generation Ford Escape, Explorer, Mach 1 EV crossover, and the Lincoln Continental with suicide doors.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs